Who Here Has Fished a Tournament?

MCTFisher9120

Have You Fished a Tournament?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Fished a Tournament

• Yes
    • No
    • It's my profession

Who here has ever fished either a amateur or professional tournament? Next year i would like to try a amateur junior weekend type of tournament and i was just a little curious as to who has fished tournaments before. If yes, how did you do and what advice would you give to another person thinking of trying out tournament fishing. I have seen some of the shows on the Canadian Fishing Tour with the amatures at the back of the boat with the pro in the front and i would think something like this(even if it's a one time thing) would be very beneficial and would make a great learning experience. In my opinion every angler would love to win something like the Bass Master Classic and be on top of the fishing world. That little OFC tournament i did with Little Angler made me appreciate every single bass i caught because i took my time and did the best i could do. Weighing every fish and putting on a big smile for the camera made this trip probable one of the most memorable trips of my life. :)

P.S. does anybody know of a event like what im looking towards??

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Since the disappearance of the CFT, there has not been a pro/am style series in Canada. The market just doesn't seem to be there for such a series up here. Then again, with the economy as it is, getting involved at a lower level is probably the best way to get your feet wet and try a tournament or two to see if you like it before going nuts and investing a bunch of money in it.

Depending on your age, some clubs may be able to get you in as a full member. There are also junior clubs around. I believe the minimum age is 14 to be a full member of the CBAF (Canadian Bass Anglers Federation). The non-boaters in our events are determined by random draw and you fish with a boater as a team (cooperatively as opposed to fishing for your own fish). I believe the Bass Pro Shops chapter has several teenagers, David Chong is the president of that club and can help you out. The skill, boat sizes and experience level varies widely but everyone has a good time out there and the entries are kept low to be inclusive. As a non-boater you would be paying $40 per event plus a gas fee dependent on gas prices at the time. So you could fish with a JP Derose or Dave Chong for example and learn from guys that have been doing the tournament thing successfully for many many years for less than the cost of a crappy rental boat. Also, because you fish as a team, they will do all they can to teach and help you to catch fish, so you really learn some good tricks. Hard to beat that. I started as a non-boater too and enjoyed it and believe it helped shorten the learning curve. Of course once I became a boater I forgot everything I was taught and now I just drive around the lake as fast as I can trying to look cool. haha

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Charles

Charles is right- I am also a member of the Bass-Pro club, as part of the CBAF this is an awesome way to up your learning curve-as a member you can enter and fish any event by any CBAF club, amongt our members names like Doug Brownridge, Dave Chong, JP Derose, Simon Frost, and many more established anglers, you get draw, you will learn more in 1 summer than 5 summers on your own-some cool boat rides too! and yes I fish tournaments also.

Take what Charles and Mark said to heart. You will learn more In one season joining a GOOD club, then you will ,in 5 years on your own.

I have not looked to see if CSFL has a pro/am this year,but it would be worth looking into.

I was lucky enough to fish with some of the Canadian greats during my pro/ams and learned a TON.

Went and bought my own boat and tried it on my own. Believe me,it was great to be out there,but the cost is not for the light pocketed.

There are many ups and downs. it,s a major roller coaster ride.

PS, YOU WILL MAKE SOME GREAT FRIENDS ASWELL.

Edited by misfish

I've been fishing tournies for about 13 years..i never joined a club up until 2 years ago. I agree with what everyone has said great way to get into tourny fishing is to join a club. The club doesn't have to be a huge club. Or even one that is affiliated with a certain federation. There are many small clubs out there that have just as many experienced anglers in them. Some members even belong to a couple different clubs. I see your in oshawa. Check out the downtown bass club. We meet at iriquios park in the restaraunt there the 2nd monday of the month at 7:30. I wish I had have joined a club when I started fishing tournies. would have been a great way to get into tournies.

Look for a local B.A.S.S. or other federation to join as a non-boater. GREAT way to learn about local waters and bass fishing in general.

Tournaments are sure fun, keep them that way. They became not so fun for me a couple years ago, so I stopped fishing them.

I know a great first fishing derby for you Mike. It's the "John Burns Memorial" at Valens conservation area. It's held on the 2nd Saturday of July. It's a great family event with junior divisions for Bass, Pike, & Panfish and adults for Bass & Pike. There are lots of decent draw prizes for those who stay till the 4pm weigh in and trophy presentation. The place is "No Gas Motors", but you can tilt your gas motor up and run on electric if your boat has both. They rent canoes, 12ft aluminum fishing boats, and tandem sit-on-top kayaks. There are bonus ounces awarded for live release. Check out the pics about halfway down the home page and see how much fun everyones having.

http://www.conservationhamilton.ca/parks/visit/valens.asp

I know a great first fishing derby for you Mike. It's the "John Burns Memorial" at Valens conservation area. It's held on the 2nd Saturday of July. It's a great family event with junior divisions for Bass, Pike, & Panfish and adults for Bass & Pike. There are lots of decent draw prizes for those who stay till the 4pm weigh in and trophy presentation. The place is "No Gas Motors", but you can tilt your gas motor up and run on electric if your boat has both. They rent canoes, 12ft aluminum fishing boats, and tandem sit-on-top kayaks. There are bonus ounces awarded for live release. Check out the pics about halfway down the home page and see how much fun everyones having.

http://www.conservationhamilton.ca/parks/visit/valens.asp

WOW this sounds great, i have a 14ft rubber boat with padles... im going to look into this, i also have what i call a red neck livewell(it is a big plastic container with 2 live bait aerators on either side, works great

Thanks for the site!

Where is the info on prices to get into the durby?

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

They became not so fun for me a couple years ago, so I stopped fishing them

Rich tell me and the others why? PLEASE

I would like to hear this, along with others, Im sure.

To me, it was the entry fees going up and up.but if I wanted to play,I payed. I always knew I was not the top guy or even the 10th guy,but hey,I got lucky once and got the big smallie on 6 Mile. Im sure Spike remembers that day. They say some remember those days the most. I know I will never forget that day. I couldnt wait to get to the stand to get it wieghed in.

To be honest -Jon Bondy from Windsor is really the only Canadian fishing tournaments for a living, Dave Mercer, Bob Izumi Karl Kalonka, Dave Chong etc... all fish tournaments for the thrill of competition-not to pay the bills! We don't get into it to get rich.Tournaments are the best way to test your skills against other anglers on a level playing field. Jon is one of the lecturers at the Basstalk seminar in Woodstock, and is the only Canadian fishing the B.A.S.S. Elite series in the USA check out the info in the announcement section, fyi to fish the BASS Elite - the enty is $5,000.00 for each event and you MUST fish all 11!

Edited by Mark Kulik

I fish around 20 tournaments per season. Due to the cost of school and finally living on my own, I havent fished many "bigger tournaments" for the past couple years. To compete at the top you need to put in lots of time and money, which I really dont have. LAtely I've been sticking to smaller events and club tournaments.

Join a BASS club. I did when I was 13, and I have learned something from everyone I've fished with.

Rich tell me and the others why? PLEASE

Hard to explain. Perhaps I got too focused or competitive about it. Wanted to get to my destination so bad, I never stop to look out the window on the way there.. if that makes any sense.

It was no longer about fun.. heck it was barely even about fishing. So I got out of it. I will get back into it again I'm sure.

Edited by Rich

Hard to explain. Perhaps I got too focused or competitive about it. Wanted to get to my destination so bad, I never stop to look out the window on the way there.. if that makes any sense.

It was no longer about fun.. heck it was barely even about fishing. So I got out of it. I will get back into it again I'm sure.

I occasionally feel the same way. I was working extra jobs to pay for tournaments... I'd get off work at 3am, drive to the launch, catch an hour of sleep, fish, then back to work.

I really cherish my time when I'm "fun-fishing," but I still love the competitiveness of a tournament, and I hope it never goes away.

The best thing about fishing my club tournaments is that everyone knows one another and there is a comraderie aspect to it. Everyone respects one another.

I have noticed other clubs, which I am not going to name, who have no respect for one another, cutting each other off etc... thats disrespectful to me... no problems like this in our club yet, and I've been there for 5 or 6 years now

Since the disappearance of the CFT, there has not been a pro/am style series in Canada. The market just doesn't seem to be there for such a series up here. Then again, with the economy as it is, getting involved at a lower level is probably the best way to get your feet wet and try a tournament or two to see if you like it before going nuts and investing a bunch of money in it.

Depending on your age, some clubs may be able to get you in as a full member. There are also junior clubs around. I believe the minimum age is 14 to be a full member of the CBAF (Canadian Bass Anglers Federation). The non-boaters in our events are determined by random draw and you fish with a boater as a team (cooperatively as opposed to fishing for your own fish). I believe the Bass Pro Shops chapter has several teenagers, David Chong is the president of that club and can help you out. The skill, boat sizes and experience level varies widely but everyone has a good time out there and the entries are kept low to be inclusive. As a non-boater you would be paying $40 per event plus a gas fee dependent on gas prices at the time. So you could fish with a JP Derose or Dave Chong for example and learn from guys that have been doing the tournament thing successfully for many many years for less than the cost of a crappy rental boat. Also, because you fish as a team, they will do all they can to teach and help you to catch fish, so you really learn some good tricks. Hard to beat that. I started as a non-boater too and enjoyed it and believe it helped shorten the learning curve. Of course once I became a boater I forgot everything I was taught and now I just drive around the lake as fast as I can trying to look cool. haha

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Charles

hit the nail in the head, I never could grasp the entire concept of fishing for money, firstly because as a bass angler I suck and secondly did I say I suck.....but I found a home bought a nice boat and now am spending a small fortune as late on it...why because in the small clubbies or largers ones like CBAF it really is about getting out and having fun, sure its competative but the friendships, jokes, and things to learn are awsome...... until a while ago like I said never could grasp the money thing and even now its not about money because if I wanted to make money bass fishing I would sell the triton and pocket the cash

I honestly believe that anyone who likes to fish for bass should at least a few times fish a tourny from a bass boat as the things you learn, are astounding. Its not for all of course but taking off and running down a lake at 70 miles plus getting to s spot and hooking fish, running to a new spot so on and so on is addicitve and like I said something IMO everyone should experience..

After re discovering Bass its 6 yrs and I know squat but each time I flip a jig or talk to someone I absorb and learn. Clarles said it for less then the rental of a crappy leaky boat you can fish with a legend if your lucky or not but you ll learn and walk away with it as a big high light of a summer.

Charles you can only drive around fast if you remember to fil up with gas....ohhh I did learn that this yr have extra gas :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by aniceguy

Its not for everyone, it does take a lot of cash, and commitment, that being said I am just a working guy and am lucky enought to have done well, but it does take a lot of time and effort, with clubs as a co-angler it is quite affordable, a lot of successful tournament anglers have had tough begginnings, its something that you want to do and its exciting and fun, but there are ups and downs-I'm thinking of writing a story about some of my good and bad experiences, one thing for sure-it feels awesome to win, but I still get a huge rush for the competition.

Fished a lot of them, starting back in 73-74 and was still fishing them when illness forced me to stop, just became unreliable as a partner or I would still be fishing them. Some people bowl, play video games, tournaments were my deal, not for winning cash but the competition. You have to love the sport first to stay involved.

I am in the states, Ohio, all levels of competition here, from small club tournaments on electric motor only lakes to more major events with substantial prize money or fully equipped bass boats as prizes. Maybe a more organized system of info on some of the tournaments here near me because the tackle shop I frequented was geared to and run by tournament bass fishermen, so they kept up with the info and options.

You may have some thing similar in your area? First club I joined was just a group of guys that loved the sport, I don`t think we ever had more than 40 members, a mix of older and younger guys, boaters and non-boat owners and the people with boats drew for non-boat owners as partners, if there were more boaters than non-boaters you could fish by yourself or as a partner with some one else in their boat as long as the non-boaters were covered.

Some of the lakes here have Wednesday evening tournaments, an after work event for people that live on or near the lake, but they often let any one that wants to fish it enter.

Bigger events often with 150 boats or more and usually part of a tournament series with larger entry fees and prizes.

Just my view, even if you start small, don`t be worried about fishing in a small tournament out of a 14 foot tinney. I have seen some people fishing out of small inexpensive boats that knew a heck of a lot more and were more willing to be an instructor than people fishing out of 40,000 dollar bass boats.

It`s life, you meet some great people, some not so. I have friends I started fishing with 35 years ago others I fished with I don`t see any more, or want to. Sportmanship, never get mad about losing, try harder next time, keep an opened mind and learn.

If you want to be a millionaire fishing bass tournaments, it's easy, start with 2 million. :)

I know exactly what Rich is talking about and luckily I have never let myself get to a position where the pressure to do good outweighed the simple joy of doing something that is so much fun. If it ever turned in to a job or a grind or if I were to let a bad result affect how I treat my girls or my job, I'd stop in a heartbeat. Fishing is fun, for me, tournament fishing amplifies how fun it is. I can enjoy a simple afternoon on a dock too, or even the occasional trip in to the outback with a canoe and 1 rod, but there's just something about the smell of burning 2-stroke oil and the sound of a 100 rumbling engines just before blast-off that still brings goosebumps and a sense of anticipation you have to experience because no one can really describe it and do it justice. My very first tournament was on the Holland River and I recall blasting down the river at a heart-pounding 21 mph in a 16 footer with a 40 HP motor. We caught one fish that day that we kept alive in a cooler with an aerator. It was about 12.01 inches long and possibly brain damaged for us to have been able to catch it. lol We weighed it in proudly and the winners had like eleventy five lbs. All I remember was that we didn't finish last and we had so much fun the habit turned in to an obsession and 4 boats and 3 trucks later I still remember that day fondly.

I know the majority of this board likes to talk bad and look down on us tournament guys, but I'd bet anything that the majority that like to look down or disparage it have never given it an honest shot. Give it a shot and maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't, but at least you won't wonder "what if". :)

Charles

Just my view, even if you start small, don`t be worried about fishing in a small tournament out of a 14 foot tinney. I have seen some people fishing out of small inexpensive boats that knew a heck of a lot more and were more willing to be an instructor than people fishing out of 40,000 dollar bass boats.

Exactly.

A good friend of mine won a nice $40,000 bass boat fishing St. Clair and Erie out of a 16.5 footer with a tiller 75.

The boat is just another tool in the arsenal. It's only a handicap if you let yourself believe it is.

I'd bet on him in a rental boat with 9.9 hp motor on Erie's eastern basin fishing against half the B.A.S.S. Elite guys. The guy simply knows how to catch fish and no boat comes with a magic fish attractor.

Charles