Who Here Has Fished a Tournament?

MCTFisher9120

Have You Fished a Tournament?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Fished a Tournament

• Yes
    • No
    • It's my profession

Super relevant article on Tournament fishing in the news section from Spiel. The "top" level guys are hurting, even endemic companies like Gamma dropped their entire pro staff. Brunswick has been laying off and closing plants. The pro fishing game is as much about sponsorship as it is about fishing. Just plug in the numbers for about half the Elite field. Most of the guys on tour would need 40-50 K in endorsements in order to make a comfortable living last year. Some would've needed that just to break even. The debt load some of them carry must be scary.

I think you will see a reduction in numbers it at every level - except the grassroots clubs, guys simply not being able to afford to "pay to play". Many of the guys I've talked to have said they will not be doing a full circuit this coming year up here. Instead they are planning to focus on smaller club level stuff as the investment and commitment necessary is a lot less.

Very interesting times for tournament angling.

BTW, I somehow missed the post on the Oshawa club "Downtown Bass Anglers". I totally second that. Great group of guys. I know most of the executive well and they are as good people as they are fishermen. You could do a lot a worse in finding a club to start off in Mike. You will learn a lot from them.

Charles

For younger anglers 17 and under Lund, has the Angler Young Angler tournaments which have both walleye and bass events. This year Deerbrook Marina in Belle River will be hosting one of these great events on July 11 2009. These events include 2 young anglers and 1 adult angler. The Deerbrook event will be a bass tournament and will have 50 adults teamed with 100 young anglers.

I got a note yesterday that Michelle Trudeau from Lund boats announced that the Angler Young Angler tournament program will expand to 29 events across North America for 2009!!

chris_bass.jpg

I worked at a very competitive job in a very competitive industry and I quickly decided I didn't need to spike my adrenaline on week ends. Now that I'm retired I rarely fish on week ends and never on holidays.

I really appreciate the improved tackle that I believe has been due to competitive fishing and those who fish T's have promoted.

Here in the states there are lots of T's with some lakes having many on a given weekend. I think it is too many and putting to much pressure on the resource.

Mike,

IMO, your best bet would be to join an Ontatio B.A.S.S. chapter. It's the best and most affordable way to enter the tournament scene. Check out www.ontariobass.com, there's a good chance you'll be able to find a chapter in your area. If you sign up as a non-boater you'll have the opportunity to fish with some REAL GOOD anglers. It can be expensive at times, but I really don't think there is any other comparable alternative in terms of the knowledge you'll gain and the friendships you'll make. Look into it, I've fished with both the St. Catharines club and the Niagara club and have really enjoyed my time on the water with them.

BTW - those two hogs in my avitar picture were from a club tourney on Erie, i wouldn't have had the opperunity to catch those if I wasn't a BASS club member!

-Drew