Fleming College

MCTFisher9120

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

lol, are you serious? That's pretty wild!

When i went there last month to their open house, i went into the fish and wildlife tech classroom and they had ducks and a few fish and i think a fox they were looking at. I love the hands on work and everybody was really enjoying their self. They also have a Musky Restoration Project they have been doing for Lake Simcoe!(absolutely amazing) the students help take care of the fish and all sort's of things, there is also a atlantic salmon project they have been doing but i did not get any info on that.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I graduated that course in 05' had a great time and it was actually fun to be in school .. When i started they told us the line about " the old timer co's will be retireing soon so now is the perfect time to be in the field" yeah they might of retired but then they cut the budget 4 million or something like that. Some of my friends have found jobs in the field but they have all had to move away. Good luck

Fish and Wildlife Technician is 2 years, technoilogist is 3

you graduate from the 2 year program 1st, then apply for the third.

About the bear, yes i did. We were into all kinds of good stuff at that place.

-R-

They also have a Musky Restoration Project they have been doing for Lake Simcoe!(absolutely amazing) the students help take care of the fish and all sort's of things

I was out on Little Lake last year with them netting 'skis for a day. No muskies, but man does Little Lake have some monster crappies!!!!!!

Was a bit cold, but definitely a fun day.

Graduate of the F & W program from Fleming myself. Top notch instructors, program, and learned a ton!

After graduating, the harsh reality presented itself in the job world. Low income salary or contract work was the norm in ON.

You need to ask yourself what range of salary you can realistically live with, and then work back from there. A $25-30K salary wasn't exactly the payoff I was hoping for after investing 2 years into something I am passionate about. I love it, but the cost of living the lifestyle I wanted was too rich for the meager earnings possible with that education.

The following fall after graduating I went back to college in a completely unrelated field, IT, and it has afforded me the lifestyle I want. I still love fishing and outdoors, and now I can enjoy it on the weekend and afford all the toys that go along with it!

If salary has no bearing on anything for you, don't waste another minute go do it!

Tony

I was also going to take the program... but jobs are far and few between. I wish you the best of luck but keep in mind something to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

WRONG. jobs in the GTA are few and far between. If you're willing to travel, there are a ton of great opportunities. I have had 4 job offers in my field, 2 in BC, 1 in Saskatoon and 1 in Whitehorse.

Problem is, I have a g/f of 4 years still in school here, I've lived with her for 2 years and I'm not ready to commit to a move across the country and leave her behind. If you look around, there are plenty of jobs available but you need to be willing to travel

I am currently at Fleming, Frost Campus taking the 1 year Post-Grad GIS Cartography program.

I am extremely happy with the way I am treated by the instructors. The quality of the education seems to be very good too. I would rate my experience so far as 9 / 10.

In contrast, I earned a BA at university before coming here and feel that I am treated like more of a human here. The administration still treats me like a pile of money though, which I hate. I never felt like anybody cared whether I succeeded or not when I was at university. At fleming they seem to care (or pretend to?).

In addition, I worked out in Alberta this past summer and met a number of Fish and wildlife officers / CO's / "Guardians". 2 or 3 of them had come from fleming within the last few years; they were doing seasonal contracts. The impression I got was that it is hard to get into full time work right away.

I went to Fleming in 97 or so and wanted to be a CO like many others. Luckily, they offer a common first year program where you take a class in everything they offer. I hope they still do this. It was a great experience. I was also told about the % that get jobs after graduation in the many courses they offer and I believe they were fairly honest.

After thinking things through, I went into Cartography and GIS. This allowed me to still be involved somewhat in Natural Resources and also have a decent opportunity to find employment as well. The bonus for me was that I was not computer savoy at all and Cart/GIS was some manual map production and tons of digital map production. This forced me to learn to use a pc.

By doing this I was always able to find work during my summers off and after graduating. I think that working in your choosen field during your summers off is a HUGE advantage over others. Many of my classmates graduated with 2 dilpomas like I did but I had three summers of work experience and that gave me the edge for jobs. I also worked for very low hourly wages and would travel anywhere I had to for work. Some classmates stayed local and worked in factories making a ton of cash but sadly they were not able to offer anything on top of a couple dilpomas when it came time to look for a career.

So even though I was not able to be the CO I wanted to be, I was able to work in forestry while in BC, at Fisheries and Oceans here in Ontario, the MTO and now I work for a municipality. I think that we have 20-30 Fleming grads working here in our Public Works department alone. If you want to still go into F&W, then do it but try to get as much experience before graduation as you can. And, be willing to move anywhere you need to for work. I am sure you will find something......

As far as Fleming goes, I really enjoyed my time there and think it is a great school. When it comes to GIS, at the time I was at Fleming they were the experts in training GIS professionals. I think now every college and university offers it so employers now have many more applicants to choose from. Hopefully, Fleming is still highly regarded by employers in GIS and other courses so that they can help grads find jobs...

Good luck.

Sherriff

Graduated in 05, with a f&w degree and a forestrydegreee, went there with the full intention of being a C.O. but all of the C.O.'s I WORK with never took the law enforcement program. I do now work for the MNR in midhurst on the Lake Simcoe Protection team and was on a netting crew before that for zone 16. Most work is contract but the pay is good and there is a lot of gray hair in the offices :whistling:

Some Advice: Get summer jobs with the mnr, Ranger Program or whatever, and vollunteer as much as you can with fish lifts, stream rehab project ect. you never know who'll you'll meet working there.

If you have any questions PM me

Good Luck

Evan Gallimore

Lake Simoce Resource Tech

Sault College 2nd year FW currently. Look at the OMNR job postings... get out of Ontario if you want to be a CO. I came into this program with the view that there was some sort of hiring for that, but theres not really one. When you put in an application for one of the CO jobs when they pop up, you have to remember that theres probably hundreds of resumes flowing in at the same time. You need countless hours of related volunteer time and related work, or, be extreamly luckey and get in after college. Your best bet is to really deeply evaluate what you want to do, if you had to do something, everyday for the rest of your life... problem is a CO job sounds f-in great. Some good advice for you though, look on monster.ca or workopolis.com and look at job postings for related FW jobs, look at their qualifications section, and try to start meeting as many of those as you can (eg: first aid, drivers licence, boat licence, familarize yourself with fish and wildlife conservation act, get your hunting + firearms licence, VOLUNTEER, ect ect ect).

Im in the stage now where Im trying to keep my options open. Way open. Waaaaaaaaay open.

But theres also fun jobs out there! Here was my summer job/vacation.

I spent this summer bear baiting, then spent 3 weeks in a remote area running camp and baits for 10 hunters. Oh, and I spent the morning dropping people off, then about 8-11am fishing, picking people up, fishing from 12-5, dropping people off, fishing from 6-9, picking people up. When they left: 7-11 hunting, 12-5 fishing, 6-9 hunting. Life for 3 weeks was perfect, and getting payed for it... :thumbsup_anim:

Police Foundations at the Peterborough Campus is a better program going into the working world, and a lot more fun. I went to Fleming for business.. those guys in Police Foundations were always having more fun than us number crunchers.

I too graduated from Fleming in 1999. I took Terrain and Water Resources (now its called Evironmental Sciences or something). Then I went to Lakeland College in Alberta and got an Applied Degree in Environmental Management. I found work with as an Environmental Consultant remediating contaminanted sites and Co-ordinating geotechnical surreys and construction projects. I'm in a different environmental field now with a much larger employer. The money is good and the hours are better.

A friend of mine from common semester became a CO shortly after Fleming. He was successful because he wasn't afraid to go where the job was. I ran into him in Kenora when I was doing a job up there about 7 years ago and then just last year he checked my fishing party on Mitchell's Bay by Chatham - small world. Expect a lot of contract and short term positions when you start out. Eventually, the stability comes. When I worked as a student at a provincial park the Assistant Park Superintendant told me he worked with the MNR for 20 years before getting on fulltime. That's something to think about too.

The Fish and Wildlife Tech program is really geared for goverment and especially the MNR and Conservation Authorities. Government is hiring a lot more now and this is a great time to get in. The baby boomers are retiring and jobs are opening up.

In addition, I worked out in Alberta this past summer and met a number of Fish and wildlife officers / CO's / "Guardians". 2 or 3 of them had come from fleming within the last few years; they were doing seasonal contracts. The impression I got was that it is hard to get into full time work right away.

Tell me you met a dude named Doug?

As a side I note I also went to Fleming...great school and excellent profs. Only thing I can say is that 'fish' is not as spectacular as it sounds...I agree the hands on part of the course are great but the theory is nothing that you can't get from a book on your own...assuming you have the 'fish' bible!

I would take a look at ET or EM closely before taking fish...

And in reality the best course offered there for work is Drilling...LOTS of work.

Just my opinion.

mike, i finished the f@w program 3-4 years ago. i completed 2 years and decided to finish with the 2 year diploma for financial reasons. i found the course was very interesting and learned alot. But at the same time when i got out and started looking for jobs with various agencies, mnr etc. it was very tough to find jobs especially good paying ones. I have two post secondary diplomas and havent found anything in that field. i ended up managing construction projects in florida and just recently moved back to ontario. either way you look at it, if want to make a good amount of money you are going to move around quite a bit. The program is good but the diploma will not guarantee you anything. if i was you i would still go to the frost campus and take drilling and blasting. big money there good luck dude.

Good Afternoon

I attended Fleming in 2000-2002. I originally attended the college for Fish and Wildlife. But after the common semester presentation I decided to go with Terrain and Water Resources. Which I'm pretty sure is now known as Environmental Sciences. After I graduated I got a job in about 4 months I got a job doing wastewater treatment in Port Colborne. Now I am Water Plant Foreman in Oakville making a great living.

I loved Fleming and enjoyed my time there.

Have fun

If it's what you want to do, go for it.

I applied to SSFC's F&W program some 32 years ago. I didn't get accepted. I did, however get accepted into the U of Guelph F&W biology program. I stuck it out for 3 semesters, but it wasn't for me. I moved to Thunder Bay and did the aviation program at Confederation College. While in Thunder Bay and other spots in NW Ontario, I met and worked with a lot of SSF grads, all of whom had nothing but accolades for the school and F&W program. They all tried to convince me to reapply to SSF, but I never did.

Despite the fact that I had great fun working as a bush pilot for a few years and then spending 27+ fantastic years in the Air Force, I still sometimes regret not following my dream and going after that F&W program at SSF. All this to say... If you really want it, go for it. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason, at least you tried.

Cheers

Edited by Rybren

Good Afternoon

I attended Fleming in 2000-2002. I originally attended the college for Fish and Wildlife. But after the common semester presentation I decided to go with Terrain and Water Resources. Which I'm pretty sure is now known as Environmental Sciences. After I graduated I got a job in about 4 months I got a job doing wastewater treatment in Port Colborne. Now I am Water Plant Foreman in Oakville making a great living.

I loved Fleming and enjoyed my time there.

Have fun

The terrain and water program is now called Environmental Technology. Basically, its everything you need to know about water. I graduated from the 3 year program in April '08. I'd take it over F&W just because there are more jobs in this field that are closer to home.......ie: in ontario.

All the programs are competitive. You have to work at anything, if you want to do well. I was lucky, I had years of work experience before I went back to college, a solid resume, and I'm also a huge fish and wildlife nut. I landed a full time permanent job right out of school, that's 12km door to door. Going back was my best decision yet!!

Sinker

And in reality the best course offered there for work is Drilling...LOTS of work.

Just my opinion.

I just need to comment on this. I think I've read it from two posters now. Don't believe the propaganda the Drilling Resources instructors give out. One of my best friends took that program. He is currently the manager of a drilling and blasting company and he will tell you that the work and money is not there for everyone. The big money is hard to comeby and always far away in remote places like the arctic. New hires don't make a lot of money and the hours are long and the work is often boring and repetitive. Don't take drilling if you are looking for a big money career and certainly don't take it if you don't have an interest in the work. Of course, if you think $14 an hour is big money then ignore what I just said.

I should also add that my friend just laid everyone off before Christmas and he has no idea when he can bring guys back or how many he will bring back.

Edited by boatman

I have made a appointment with my guidance counsellor next week and we are going to sit down and talk about my options for applying to Fleming. I want to take this course but seeing my guidance counsellor has helped and sent off hundreds of kids to college I am going to put my trust into him and what he thinks my best option is. I feel strongly about the path I want to take and Fish and Wildlife is the right path for me. I am strong in sciences, computers, math and english and have a very good chance to get into the program. As for the second course I am undecided and I will let that decision happen once it is needs to be made. Thank you very much for sharing all of your experiences and suggestions with me and I would love to hear more. As I know landing a good career right away will be a uphill battle but I would rather fight for a job that I would be wanting to wake up and go to every morning than one where I would only count down the days untill friday. Working summer jobs either with CLOCA or another fish and wildlife/conservation group will be my objective as well as doing come community involvement when not busy.I already got my self a conservation officer that will be contacting me when ever a volunteer chance comes up. I am again very thankful for all the great info I got here in this thread and I can't thank you enough to the positive answers and stories I got here over the last few days. Wish me luck everybody :D

I will keep you guys and girls updated,

Michael :Gonefishing:

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Go to Fleming, take the common first semester. It will introduce you to all the courses they offer. It may make your final decision easier once you actually see what the other programs have to offer.....they're all top notch!!

Sinker