1st time perching

Dano

Some work I had scheduled today was delayed so I found myself looking for things to do. I cleaned out my work truck, did some inventory then told myself I had done enough for the day. I'm still tired from the holiday season with working and moving Fern and her kids into their new house here in town. Of course that entails is a whole bunch of other stuff....

Regardless, I got back home and was met by my buddy Beau, who is always happy to see me. He looked like he needed some fresh air, I know I did, so I decided to throw a bit of ice gear together and try my luck at some panfish. I had never ice fished for perch or crappie before but these were to be my quarry as I was all pumped up after reading some of the articles in the OOD magazine last night.

Armed with my trusty companion and my new sled we headed out. It was a beautiful sunny day and at first I was walking/fishing in just my fleece. It took me a while to find what I was looking for on the Lowrance and it wasnt long before I lost my first fish, it was weird because the line broke on the loop that went around the hook eye, oh well.

It wasnt long before I was doing battle with a nice little perch, and I was kept busy enough to keep me amused for about two hours, which was fine as my boy was starting to get a chill. Here he is standing guard.

gallery_42_223_19200.jpg

All in all, I lost three, put two back and kept two to eat. These fish sure have pretty colours.

gallery_42_223_5270.jpg

No crappie, all perch. At least I think they were all perch as I didnt land any crappie

So after I kill them, bring them home and clean them, I find these in their bellies. This lake has sunfish, crappie, largemouth and pike as far as I know. I think these are young sunfish but I am not sure. Can anyone positively identify them?

gallery_42_223_56404.jpg

What a great afternoon, it sure lifted my spirits and thats exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Holy Crap... a Dano Post! LOL.

Good to see you out bud... what ya doing tomorrow? lol Oh.. making up for slacking off today.. to bad!

it wasnt long before I lost my first fish, it was weird because the line broke on the loop that went around the hook eye,

Remember... you're last outing was hook setting Larry 'skis. Gotta cut back on the back swing for these fellas! lol

Edited by irishfield

Holy Crap... a Dano Post! LOL.

Good to see you out bud... what ya doing tomorrow? lol Oh.. making up for slacking off today.. to bad!

Yea, no kidding Wayne, its been along time, you usually do all the work for me! Lol

Yea young_one, I figured sunfish would be pretty low on the preferred forage list. If thats the case, it could mean a good fishing year there.

Excellent stuff Dano!

love the pics.

Nice bit of carpet for the faithfull companion too...lol...nice touch.

I love looking to see what fish have been munchin' , that's really cool, i think its sunfish too.

Healthy looking perch

Thanks for sharin.

Nice report. I like to bring my companion as well but gotta watch how long I stay out (it has to be cold for him just standing around). Like you I bring a blanked and if it's really cold his boots.

Loved the autopsy..

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Just an update. I have caught a few more perch from that lake and so far they all seem to be eating the same things which kind of surprised me. Guess I'll have to look for some little rock bass/sunfish shaped baits and see how they work.

Cheers!