What brand of hooks are on Rapala lures?

MCTFisher9120

what is your fascination with Rapala lures!? LOL

I believe they use VMC hooks, but I'm not 100% sure, it doesnt really matter what hooks you put on, I change most of my hooks to owners or Triple Grip hooks

lol, not really a fascination i just like their products. I asked this question because the hooks their lures come with seem to be very good hooks. I need to replace hooks on a few lures and i wanted to know of the brand rapala uses. Hopefully i can find these VMC hooks at BPS.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

lol, not really a fascination i just like their products. I asked this question because the hooks their lures come with seem to be very good hooks. I need to replace hooks on a few lures and i wanted to know of the brand rapala uses. Hopefully i can find these VMC hooks at BPS.

I know VMC is definitely sold at LeBaron.

Steve and Farsider are correct....the majority of the Rapala and Storm lure line uses VMC. They also own Gamakatsu hooks which are superior (and more expensive).... I usually change all spoon and hardbody bait hooks to these as they are even sharper and stick more fish. Both are chemically sharpened.... the main difference is that the VMC's are dipped in the acid approx. 4/5 times comparied to 8/9 for the Gami's.

One point (no pun intented) to consider is although the Gami's are sharper because of the super fine point they do tend to burr easier on rocks etc..... Greg.

i find the vmc hooks are alrite but the new sureset hooks on the new xraps are crap. the larger hook bends when you catch a fish and if you try to bend it back it just snaps off. i would like to find a place were i can buy the same feathered hooks on the xraps, the ones i found at canadian tire just arent the same.

Just a point for the young fella. LOL. Check in your Tackle Box and your new lures and see if they stick to your finger nail ( The point of the Hook) if not, they need sharpening. Yup, I even bought new Rapalas and had to sharpen them. I wont say how to sharpen, just google as what works, for me a Gazillion Pros will say I'm wrong and they're right. Whatever works for you. Just like a batting stance.

I have to say that this whole super sticky sharp hook thing that goes on really has me baffled... I have NEVER sharpened a hook out of the package, and only when I yank a bait out of the rocks do I fix the points on it and I can't remember the last time I lost a good fish that just shook the hook. If I stick the fish, it usually ends up in the boat. I lose my fish on cheap knots and bad hooksets, not usually on bad hooks though.

just my 2 cents

I have to say that this whole super sticky sharp hook thing that goes on really has me baffled... I have NEVER sharpened a hook out of the package, and only when I yank a bait out of the rocks do I fix the points on it and I can't remember the last time I lost a good fish that just shook the hook. If I stick the fish, it usually ends up in the boat. I lose my fish on cheap knots and bad hooksets, not usually on bad hooks though.

just my 2 cents

With a sharp hook, a bad hookset wont cost you nearly as often. My 2 cents

just my 2 cents

With rare exceptions I sharpen every single hook out of the package LOL! Makes all the difference in the world lad.

Can't say I've sharpened hooks out of the package, but I definitely sharpen them regularly. Very important IMO.

As for the Rap hooks, never had bad experiences with them personally. I am a bigger fan of Excalibur hooks though.

i find the vmc hooks are alrite but the new sureset hooks on the new xraps are crap. the larger hook bends when you catch a fish and if you try to bend it back it just snaps off. i would like to find a place were i can buy the same feathered hooks on the xraps, the ones i found at canadian tire just arent the same.

Bass Pro have a few different feathered hooks. I don't know if they are the exact same as the rapalas.

The hooks on X-raps and definitely crap, bend and break. Actually, x-raps in general don't take a lot of abuse. I've got a collection of them with no lips. On the up side, I do catch a lot of spring walleye, pike and bass on them.

If a hook isn't sticky sharp, touch it up. I use the same tool and method as solo described.

I prefer red Lazer Sharp hooks for some of my lures!

Alright, I gotta ask. Does the red colour actually make a difference in your opinion?

I just find it kinda amusing that red hook manufacturers and makers of live bait harnesses with red hooks market them stating that the colour imitates blood from a wound helping to trigger a strike. Then line manufacturers market the colour stating that it is filtered out and rendered invisible in as little as 3 feet of water.

The marketing tactics contradict each other and the really funny thing is that the colour red is probably the biggest thing in terms of all the manufacturers hopping on board in their product offering!!

Alright, I gotta ask. Does the red colour actually make a difference in your opinion?

I just find it kinda amusing that red hook manufacturers and makers of live bait harnesses with red hooks market them stating that the colour imitates blood from a wound helping to trigger a strike. Then line manufacturers market the colour stating that it is filtered out and rendered invisible in as little as 3 feet of water.

The marketing tactics contradict each other and the really funny thing is that the colour red is probably the biggest thing in terms of all the manufacturers hopping on board in their product offering!!

You are right about the color red being filtered out quickly in the water, that is why red hooks are good to use only in shallow waters. If you are going 4ft or deeper the hooks may "dissapear" and that might not be a bad thing...

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher