Best Store for Icefishing Winter Clothing?

ozaibak1

Well would like to start by wishing everyone a happy new year! I was down in the Cayman islands for the break and it will be very hard to wean myself off a continuous supply of seafood for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

This year will mark my very first time ice fishing, I'm quite excited about it, I figured why should I stop fishing for 7 months of the year?!?! There is no good answer to that question. I'm gonna start by going to Simcoe possibly this Saturday and renting a hut from there.

My question relates to proper winter clothing for ice fishing, I've done all my research and know what items and materials to get. The price tag is enormous, I've been looking at Mountain Co-op and European Outfitters.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that has all the gear needed, and I mean everything from boots, socks, inner all the way to the outer layers for a GOOD PRICE. I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice quality, and maybe I will not be able to avoid a high price tag.

But does anyone know of places that may not be the big box stores that offer great value on a wide range of products? I think BassPro is expensive as well, any advice appreciated thx!

Also looked into staying over at Simcoe in a B&B but the price was quite steep, about $360 per person for just 2 nights. Can anyone recommend a nice cottage to rent from there with close access to Cook's bay? Happy fishing...

Mark's Work Warehouse has everything you'll need. Just be sure to get boots that are over kill based on temperature. You should be looking at boots that are rated to atleast minus 100.

Can't help with the BnB thing, Cooks is only 45 minutes from Toronto, so staying there is not something I have done.

HH

Cool thanks for the responses so far. Question about the boots, do they have to be rated to -100, or would -55 do. I plan on wearing two layers of socks the inner one would be the neopolyprene/similar material for wicking moisture, with a wool sock over it.

I am looking into Baffin boots which I heard are quite dependable, and also into Columbia Titanium Bugaboot XTM Omni-Tech Boots I found at mountain coop for about $150, however they are only rated to -55.

Go to Lebarron's.

Some canadian Tire Corp stores carry some half decent winter clothing, the one on Dundas St East in Mississauga just down the road from Lebarron's is worth a look.

To go with the good winter footwear, invest in the proper socks.

I bought some at Lebarron's fer about $15-$17.00 per pair and they are worth it.

Stay away from cotton socks at all costs, save those for Summer.

If you need winter snowmobile pants complete with bib, I have an XL pair I can let you have fer free. They are in good shape. Just PM me.

As mentioned I would recommend Marks but do a little travelling. I found that the northern stores carry quite a bit more cold weather clothing than here in the GTA. I always try and stop in at the one in North Bay. I have my down parka and bib pants from there for ice fishing.

Marks have a new line of winter Carhart clothing, Waterproof and 2 different weights of insulation. Very Nice

As far as the boots, consider those that have the -100C rating. The Baffin rubber boots with liners are a much better investment than the regular ones at CTC or Marks. I have the Marks -100C Pack boots and have never felt the cold. There wonderfully light for walking too

Cool thanks for the responses so far. Question about the boots, do they have to be rated to -100, or would -55 do. I plan on wearing two layers of socks the inner one would be the neopolyprene/similar material for wicking moisture, with a wool sock over it.

I am looking into Baffin boots which I heard are quite dependable, and also into Columbia Titanium Bugaboot XTM Omni-Tech Boots I found at mountain coop for about $150, however they are only rated to -55.

I just bought these boots, they're unreal. Super warm and totally waterproof:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&id=0020833

Also MEC has a great deal on this parka, plus free shipping which I also bought. :) Fantasticly warm coat!

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1231186816057

Believe us when we tell you to get the best boot you can. Nothing will cut yer day short, like cold feet!

Solo, those boots look good, have you used them ice fishin? I ask because many boots will handle just walkin around on the ice, but if yer using a power auger, you NEED waterproof as you will get a shower pulling the auger up the hole.

I found out on Friday that my 15 year old boots have passed their point of usefullness! I've changed the liner, but they still won't keep me warm! I'll have to take a good look at the one's Solo posted!

To the O.P. - I don't know how they rate boots as far as temperature ratings go, but minus 100C is the MINIMUM I would consider.

HH

Solo, those boots look good, have you used them ice fishin? I ask because many boots will handle just walkin around on the ice, but if yer using a power auger, you NEED waterproof as you will get a shower pulling the auger up the hole.

I bought them last year for ice fishing and they really are incredible, best boots I've ever owned by far. Very warm, comfortable to walk in and 100% waterproof.

My buddy up at my lake in N/W QC has had a pair for several years now and I bought mine on his recomendation.

Edited by solopaddler

Minus 100 boots seem a little overkill? I was wearing -40 rated boots on Saturday and only a couple of times felt the slightest bit cold. On the other hand the wife was wearing -60 rated boots and two pairs of socks and felt cold.

Everyone is different I guess and fit is probably more important - if the boots are too tight and restrict circulation you WILL be cold.

www.arcticshield.ca

It'll have the contact info there.

everything your going to want.

Talk to Ken tell him that artist in the Ottawa Valley sent ya---I'm sure he'll fix you up.

He'll even stick your feet in dry ice (minus 109*) to prove it's effectiveness.

Bushart

The biggest problem I see with cold feet is people wearing too many socks. I wear the baffin trappers....just green rubber boots with felt liners......and ONE pair of PURE wool socks. I never get cold feet......EVER!!

And what doug says is very true!!! Keep your head warm, and your extremities will be that much more comfy!!!

I'm a bit old school. I swear by wool. Its gotta be pure wool, and most of my stuff is hand made. I'm kinda lucky that way I guess, I have lots of family that knit me mitts and socks and sweaters whenever I need them. Next to wool, I'll take fleece.

A good wind/waterproof/breathable shell over wool or fleece, will keep you warm in the coldest weather. Layers are your friend, just don't over do them.

I like Cabela's gear. Its priced reasonable, and they have great customer service as well!!!

Sinker

Question about the boots, do they have to be rated to -100, or would -55 do.

Well I have boots rated for -100 and I still get cold toes every once in awhile. If you are at all serious about getting out on the ice regularly or for extended periods of time...I wouldn't recommend anything less then -100 rated.

My 2 cents....