Hand Augers... do they work well?

profisher25

Ok, so there's a HUGE difference in a motor powered auger, but, for someone like me who doesn't do much ice fishing, is it worth buying one. I personally say no... however, I noticed a cheaper cousin of the gas powered auger.. the hand auger! I was wondering if a hand powered auger worked as efficiently as a motor powered auger. Time consumption isn't really my problem, I just want an auger that doesn't cost lots of money, which could be spent on more important fishing equipment! :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ok, so there's a HUGE difference in a motor powered auger, but, for someone like me who doesn't do much ice fishing, is it worth buying one. I personally say no... however, I noticed a cheaper cousin of the gas powered auger.. the hand auger! I was wondering if a hand powered auger worked as efficiently as a motor powered auger. Time consumption isn't really my problem, I just want an auger that doesn't cost lots of money, which could be spent on more important fishing equipment! :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

its not the cousin but the father and the chisle and axe are the great grandfathers i have two and can cut through 3 feet of ice in just over 30 seconds with the 6" and about 45 seconds with the 8 inch

its not the cousin but the father and the chisle and axe are the great grandfathers i have two and can cut through 3 feet of ice in just over 30 seconds with the 6" and about 45 seconds with the 8 inch

Ok, so, in your opinion, which one is better?? 6" or 8"? I guess its really a matter of personal preference right? I might go for the 8" though.

Ok, so, in your opinion, which one is better?? 6" or 8"? I guess its really a matter of personal preference right? I might go for the 8" though.

all depends on how big of fish you plan to catch i used to use a 6 inches and drill a triangle of holes and chisle out the center when i fished the north channle for big F3 splake

all depends on how big of fish you plan to catch i used to use a 6 inches and drill a triangle of holes and chisle out the center when i fished the north channle for big F3 splake

Alrghty then, you were a realy help to me! :)

I think I might end up getting the 8"... im kinda hoping to land that "big one" :P

Thanks BassAsin!

Alrghty then, you were a realy help to me! :)

I think I might end up getting the 8"... im kinda hoping to land that "big one" :P

Thanks BassAsin!

8 times pie is a little over 24 inches which is a good girth on a fish the 43 inch pike i caught was "snug" comin up the 8" hole but for the most part its more than big enough and the hand augers work well if you treat them well just makes sure they dont have an "offset" handle thats when the top handle grip is not in line with the bottom handle it makes for difficult drilling and can be very frustrating

If you dont plan on cutting many holes the hand auger is the way to go ... ... I have seen lots of lakers in the 15-20 pound mark come through an 8 inch auger hole . as long as the head can come through, the body will follow with a nice big SLURP ! Hey bassasin you must be a machine or else my new power auger blows because i think it would take longer than 45 seconds to go through 3 feet of ice ..

If you dont plan on cutting many holes the hand auger is the way to go ... ... I have seen lots of lakers in the 15-20 pound mark come through an 8 inch auger hole . as long as the head can come through, the body will follow with a nice big SLURP ! Hey bassasin you must be a machine or else my new power auger blows because i think it would take longer than 45 seconds to go through 3 feet of ice ..

sharp blades shimms and one deep breath! we've timed it witht the 6 " before 36 turns and just shy of 36 inches in just over 30 seconds

been doin it since i was 12 and when i fish for specks i make swiss cheese of the ice no matter how much ice there is until i find the fish

A 6" auger will be all you really need unless you plan on catching 25 Lb pike & 30 Lb lake trout. I had a 8" hand auger before & I exchangfed it for a 6". It's a lot more work to cut with the 8" than the 6" & your blades will last longer.

I have a Strikemaster Lazer 6" & it cuts through the ice like it's going through butter. :D

For years, I'd pack my 8-inch auger when heading up to Lake Simcoe for perch. But as the icefishing season draws on and the ice gets thicker, man, did my back ever start to complain. lol

Now, with a 6-inch auger, I move around more and drill more holes cuz it's waaaaay easier.

If I was fishing in laker and whitefish water, ya I'd want an 8-inch, but 6-inch is just fine for perch.

Just be carefull when you get 'em close to the hole though. I slow down my retrieve a bit so I can make sure the fish doesn't head away from the hole cuz the lure hooks can catch onto the edge of the ice hole on the way up. I loose more perch that way!

My ice fishing days are pretty much over I think, but I've always used a hand auger in my day. As you can imagine, the ice gets pretty thick here in an average winter. I don't know if they still make them, but I had a 7" auger. As others have said, a minute or two and you're through. We'd often use the two man method which involves a guy on each side of the auger. It's easier when you're pulling the offset handle towards you rather than pushing it away for you. So with two guys, one of them is always pulling. Take care of your blades. Oil them each time you use them. Touch them up with a whetstone occasionally. My best advice would be to carry some light gauge sheet metal shims and an allen wrench so that you can change the blade cutting angle slightly out in the field. This has saved the day many times.

Do not buy the auger they're using in that video.

Buy a decent auger (lazer, fin-bore - less than $100), don't bang it around (take care of the blades) and if you're fishing for anything less than big pike/walleye etc a 6 inch hole is plenty.

But if you plan on cutting through 3 feet of ice regularly you might want to beef up the biceps !

A buddy I grew up with always punched 2-3 holes maybe more to our one and that wa two of us on the damn thing he was a machine not that he was a huge guy he just had the knack for getting through the ice and yes we had 3+ feet alot of the time.

Now I stick with my 6" lazer and 8" jiffy for later in the year or if I am going to be moving around alot some will look at me funny when I walk onto the river with it and there is only 1' of ice but when you are pulling big eyes through the ice and might have to move alot it sure does make it easier on ya.