Rod Racks

Spiel

....I was online looking for some ideas for rod racks. I figured I'd save some $'s and build them myself. Well I came across this one (Pecan finish) at Cabelas for $60.00 off the regular price. Had my sweety take a look and now I have two on the way. Price for shipping the pair was a paltry $12.00. I couldn't buy the lumber for that price! :D

its funny this subject would come up....over the years ive had many rod holders then i care to remember ...everything from Berkley plastic to custom wall mount ( gun rack type)to free standing pedestal ( like the one from cabelas) and just the past week i opted to remove all the rods and holders from my office/fishing room.....what i did was ...built a cedar bulkhead ..mounted it to the ceiling ...eliminated all the rods and only kept three in the room for show mounted on the beam...most importantly ive gained floor space for the wifes clutter now and it dosnt feel like a tackle shop...all the rest of the rods now reside in the garage or boat...( and theres lots)

the three i kept in the office are the ones i use most often...float rod and reel ... fly rod and reel and a spinning combo....

Pro - wife is happy

Con- i need a step/chair to get the required one down as the ceiling is 9 feet

The rod racks look really nice and it is nice to get 60 bucks off.

I think that the racks would be perfect for pool cues.

I am sorry for what I will say next because it might be consider to be negative. I have never found a need to put my rods and reels on display.

My rods are all in a closet and the closet is never used for anything else. All fly rods are hung in their rod bags in the closet. Every other rod is in a tube or its own cloth bag and in the corner.

Fly reels are in their original zippered reel cases. The one baitcaster is in its bag that it came in. All spinning reels are in old socks. All reels are stored in bins.

There are a number of reasons for doing all of this.

Protecting everything from "people damage" is reason number 1. Reason number 2 is to keep everything from sunlight especially the reels that are spooled with mono.

And reason number 3 is to try to protect everything from DUST.

To me, dust is like very, very fine sand. Dust will get into every little corner in a reel. And it is known what sand can do to a reel. MAYBE I AM WRONG BUT I WILL FIND OUT AFTER I POST THIS.

The above is my way of doing it and it is my opinion only.

carp-starter

one caveat.. muskie rods are too phat. otherwise, it works great!

....I'm okay in that regard Raf, no musky rods....yet. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the sale, just ordered 2 myself :) . (Merry Christmas to me!)

....You're welcome, I'll have to drop by someday and see what you fill 'em up with. ;)

You build such great rods Chris.Im sure you could build yer own stands bud. If not,I can for ya.

....Thanks Brian and your right I could build them and it was my intention but that'd take time away from rod building and I'm sooooo busy. :D

I am sorry for what I will say next because it might be consider to be negative. I have never found a need to put my rods and reels on display.

carp-starter

....This is not about displaying them as it is about having somewhere to safely store my rods. I don't like leaning them in the corner(s), too many rods so few corners....LOL I have racks I built that sit along the wall for in line storage but they take up a lot of room. These round (rotating) ones should help me reduce the amount of space required thus giving me room for other things, hopefully!

Cool,

I need something to store my float/fly rod setups, I have a wall mount rack that doesnt fit my three piece float rods because I set it up so that my summer 6' to 8 ' combos could sit in there and the three piecers are too short. hmmm

mom is starting to get upset that there is so many rods in the living room against the wall (14' ceiling)

Edited by kemper