Coyotes and dogs NF

FLEX ROD

Okay gang here is a question that my son has asked and this I am not sure how to respond to.

WE back onto a ravine and I have the Deers but with that we also have the coyotes, this seems to have been a very good year for them as we have really heard them and I have also seen them a few time.

I have the standard 6' fence sepatating us from the ravine and we have a small dog , can the coyotes clear a 6' fence?

My son is scared to let the dog go out in the yard at night so hence this question.

I khnow that the Deer have no issue with the fence but can a wild "dog" clear it?

Thanks - FLEX

i had a dog (domestic) shaped a bit like a greyhound she was a blue tick hound and long leg beagle mix and could jump into the back of a ford truck over the tailgate and onto our 5 foot high deck with ease! just remember that the fence will only be 4 feet high once you get 2 feet of snow as well!

WE back onto a ravine and I have the Deers but with that we also have the coyotes, this seems to have been a very good year for them as we have really heard them and I have also seen them a few time.

Where abouts in Woody? We had a bunch of rabbits in our yard, north of Rutherford and west of Islington and all of the sudden they disapeared, never heard any C but sure is strange, unless they ended up on a Barbie :w00t:

Guest gbfisher

Coyotes and Fox run around here in Etobicoke. Fenses sure don't stop em!!. What do ya think they eat around here anyway.... :whistling:

:unsure: MOM....where's Fluffly and have ya seen Rex? :dunno: sure there's other game in town.

:thumbsup_anim: True story. I had a Chow Chow ( not very friendly) , and I live on a ravine backing onto Pettycoat creek . When out in the backyard having a " smoke" my dog went to the back fence where it went nose to nose through the fence with a coyote pup. They just sniffed each other and the pup walked away. If I had of had a camera at that time the picture would been a priceless award winner!

coyotes are bad in windsor. and yes small dogs will become dinner. the windsor star ran an artivle blaming eagles. where i train my dogs i have found many kills. cat hair, small dog skulls. the coyote will not hesitate to take pets for dinner. in the area i train approx 5sq miles theres 6 coyotes. its strange if theres a firetruck or sirens you can here them yipping at nite.

My Rottweiler can clear a 6foot fence easy! I cannot see why a Coyote can't. As already stated, if they cant jump it, they will certainly dig underneath!

As for the dog, Coyotes will definately eat domesticated pets. Most Coyotes living within or near city limits most likely have acquired a found liking for Shitzu meat. lol

Ab

a few years back a 120 pound rotty was taken by coyates in milton, they got into a 6ft fenced in area, where there is a will there is a way. Remember there isnt usally just one.

Male dogs are easier prey for them, they will actually send a female in heat to attract the male dog away form his surroundings and then ambush them.

It is rare but yes you shoudl be aware of the threat.

Cheers!

Thank you gang all good info, and thanks Joey for the link, very informative.

One thing that I neglected to mention and I guess that this works for me is thet we are on a ridge hence their is also the slope factor, but I think that we will have to pay more attention once the food supply get harder to find.

And ketchenany we are just around the corner from each other, if you ever want to hook up please let me know- I am west of islington and south of rutherford and you are correct last year the rabitts were around but few and far appart this year.

FLEX

:clapping:

recipes??

poatatoes carrots some venison or moose stew chunks onions and a pile of random spices that sound good at the time lol, slow cooker on low at 8 am before i hit the ice for fishing and voila dinner is ready at 5 and maybe a bit of garlic bread on the side!