Government's share in demise of Big 3

TennesseeGuy

Congress has to share part of the blame for our failing auto companies. Congress set cafe standards for all autos, putting U.S. manufacturers behind the curve compared to Toyota and Honda which were already tooled up to produce gas sippers. Our big 3 were at a disadvantage that was increased by mixed signals from consumers.

I'll bet our auto executives would look a whole lot better if allowed to produce vehicles that customers want to buy.

Did they not produce the vehicles people wanted to buy 5 years ago like Hummers, and large SUV's and trucks? Their problem is consumers opinions about those vehicles have changed and they didn't predict it and didn't adapt to the changing conditions.

Edited by timmeh

Congress has to share part of the blame for our failing auto companies. Congress set cafe standards for all autos, putting U.S. manufacturers behind the curve compared to Toyota and Honda which were already tooled up to produce gas sippers. Our big 3 were at a disadvantage that was increased by mixed signals from consumers.

I'll bet our auto executives would look a whole lot better if allowed to produce vehicles that customers want to buy.

Like Wayne said, hope you were typing with a lollipop in cheek...you blame the Government for your auto mfgr's demise, maybe Toyo and Honda paid attention to minimum requirements and made the appropriate changes and are reaping the benifits while you cry foul. In my opinion, about the only place that still makes land yachts to haul your similarly sized butt around is North America, you just can't get away from large, more power, more gas. It's been nothing but a "one upmanship" for the past decade if not more, my truck makes 300 hp, next year, the other one cranks it up 50 HP, etc, never ending. If your companies had been paying attention and listening for the last few years, the multitudes have been screaming for more fuel efficiency, but no, more power. So guess what, sucks to be in the Big 3, and I drive a krautmobile, 'cause it works and it's cheap on gas.

i love it. the blame lays on fat cats in goverment not heeding fair play. . gotta agree on that one. a few ceo,s into the mix. the oil barons dictate the rest. as for krautmobiles. there building them at chrylsers as we speak, in windsor.. make things fair trade and we would see a great difference in canadian pride. seems this says canadians cant build a quality car. . thats the furthest from the truth.. oh ya i mean build not just assemble.

Dont speak too soon about Honda.

I heard some rumors, that they will be cutting back to.

4 day work weeks,shut down for 3 weeks and 2 weeks in Feb and march. Have to use holidays for them.

So much for that eh?

Positive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no layoffs.

Edited by misfish

The auto companies spent millions lobbying congress not to increase them since the 1980`s. The oil companies own scientists predicted back in the 50`s oil supply was in jeopardy.

Yes congress is certainly partly to blame they could have started more regulation earlier. the auto companies were content to produce products with the biggest profit margins until the oil ran out or people couldn`t afford it.

35 years of oil supply problems and pricing and they didn`t learn? Maybe they couldn`t properly manage a McDonalds? They won`t have to though, a few years of paying yourself 12-15 million a year puts you on easy street? Rough to live on a 4.6 million a year pension?

Auto companies weren`t behind the curve, they missed it completely. Their problems are more related to the housing crisis and job loss, if your not making your house payment or don`t have a job you don`t buy a car, even a foreign car. All auto sales are down.

The people on Wall Street and Washington didn`t see that one coming either? The piles of lobbyist money were blocking the view?