Snowmobiles on the ice

Greencoachdog

Snowmobiling is like musky fishing its not an addiction it is a SICKNESS!!!

I think I ride very responsibly, I am no 18 year old kid....................

I dont ride alone on lakes, I very rarley go off the staked lake trails.

I have 2 floater suits I use for musky fishing but I wouldnt be caught dead on a sled with one, Id freeze my ass off for one and would be limited for movement on the sled. Now they do however make floater sled suits but I must say like my Goretex. You could buy 4 floater suits for what my Goretex suit is worth, belive me I thought about it.

Like I said, you are not going through at 60-70-80+ mph, and if you do you are riding open water which i do not do.

GCD ever been on a sled??

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP

F7FIRECAT----is absolutly right !!!!!!!!!!

"" I have 2 floater suits I use for musky fishing but I wouldnt be caught dead on a sled with one, ""

thats the best statment you have made....

do sleds ever run out of gas?

gas line freeze up

break down?????

if one of your riding buddies break thru the ice you can stand on shore and yell !!!!

Image026.jpg

I rode an old Olympic up until 1985. Hard to steer, cantankerous, heavy, not as fast as the other sleds but.... Always started and most important, indestructible.

Almost went through a soft spot on the lake with it. That was a scary experience. It can always happen. Never is a fools word.

I still have a 1968 Sno-Prince.

Burgundy? Now that's a blast from the past. I got into the snowmobile biz back in 1970 when there were about 72 (I think that was the count) brand names on the market. Granted a lot of them were just another company's sled with a different label on it, and occasionally a different engine. I can remember JLO's, Hirth, Rotax, Kohler for sure. Seems to me there was even a rotary engine somebody tried. Cat came along with their own branded engine at some point. Seems to me I'm forgetting a biggy. What was in the early Jets, Cats and Polaris sleds.

Who remembers the twin trak (not the Skidoo or the Alouette Villeneuve raced in ProMod) or the articulating sled? Does anyone remember the one really good performance sled JD put out, or the only really kwik Mercury? Or the one thing Rupp learned from Mercury about performance? Or the best clutch that ever ran on a Rupp stock sled at Kawartha (there were actually only two of them and they were born on the ice of Rice Lake at midnight)?

I miss those days. But I guess that's why I can't get excited about ice fishing. I spent way too many hours of my life freezing my cojones making sleds run faster so other guys could blow 'em up or park them on the roof of the horse barn at the fairgrounds in P'borough.

Reminiscences-R-Us

JF

Burgundy? Now that's a blast from the past. I got into the snowmobile biz back in 1970 when there were about 72 (I think that was the count) brand names on the market. Granted a lot of them were just another company's sled with a different label on it, and occasionally a different engine. I can remember JLO's, Hirth, Rotax, Kohler for sure. Seems to me there was even a rotary engine somebody tried. Cat came along with their own branded engine at some point. Seems to me I'm forgetting a biggy. What was in the early Jets, Cats and Polaris sleds.

Who remembers the twin trak (not the Skidoo or the Alouette Villeneuve raced in ProMod) or the articulating sled? Does anyone remember the one really good performance sled JD put out, or the only really kwik Mercury? Or the one thing Rupp learned from Mercury about performance? Or the best clutch that ever ran on a Rupp stock sled at Kawartha (there were actually only two of them and they were born on the ice of Rice Lake at midnight)?

I miss those days. But I guess that's why I can't get excited about ice fishing. I spent way too many hours of my life freezing my cojones making sleds run faster so other guys could blow 'em up or park them on the roof of the horse barn at the fairgrounds in P'borough.

Reminiscences-R-Us

JF

Hah! Fergot CCW and Yamaha. And Kawi and Suzuki came a little later. Wish I had one of those Kalamazoo performance sleds today, or even my old Blizzard.

JF

Reminiscences-R-Us

JF

You wouldn't be talking about a Raider by chance, saw one a couple years back not far from Barrie.

F7FIRECAT----is absolutly right !!!!!!!!!!

"" I have 2 floater suits I use for musky fishing but I wouldnt be caught dead on a sled with one, ""

thats the best statment you have made....

do sleds ever run out of gas?

gas line freeze up

break down?????

if one of your riding buddies break thru the ice you can stand on shore and yell !!!!

Don you bring bar stools out onto the ice :blink:

Uh... that would be Dan, Don is the old guy. :w00t:

thanks GCD lol

your right Don is the old fart and im the young buck---lol

( right now he's saying-- "pay backs are a carp buddy" )

and yes mike we take stools out there cause they were cheap and fold up easy for transporting.

Dann & Miss Kelly

Image022.jpg

Grew up in the era of snow machines. Dad loved his Snowcruisers. Those things were indestructible tanks. Heavy as them too.

I ran Johnsons until 1976. Sure loved the JX model, was very quick in it's day and good in deep snow. Too bad it was always blowing pistons or belts.

The sleds we sell now are friggen rockets compared to the bygone days. And they actually steer too. :lol:

Edited by Bernie

Well if you guys are still driving those ancient tanks no wonder your afraid of falling through, darn thing wouldnt take you out of a worm hole gotta get your head out of the ice.

The ancient tanks are sweet for the shows but running one these days is like committing suicide. The thing would never get you out of any trouble, you better have your floater suit on

LMAO

You guys are ice fisherman and not sledders LOL hauling out 150 lbs in gear Id be afraid of falling through in my sled to at 5 mph LMAO just think how much more you weigh when you got a bucket full of perch comin back to the minivan....................

BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

im outta here at 130 mph now just got my 900cc 175 hp kit installed

do ya feel my windchilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP

Wow,

Suddenly I understand why the statictics are the way they are....

In fairness I suppose at 100km it won't matter if your wearing a floater or not.

If you hit anything, or fall off your screwed Either way be it on open water or not.

The way I see it the polite thing to do would be to wear a floater so your recovery team can leave the diving suits at home :rolleyes:

geeeeesh this kind of mantality just makes no sence to me.

My Mustang suits warm as heck, and not stiff at all?

Was it expensive....yes, but who cares?

If your on a lake its the "smart" thing to have on...I thought That was common sence?

Edited by Cookslav

Grew up in the era of snow machines. Dad loved his Snowcruisers. Those things were indestructible tanks. Heavy as them too.

I ran Johnsons until 1976. Sure loved the JX model, was very quick in it's day and good in deep snow. Too bad it was always blowing pistons or belts.

The sleds we sell now are friggen rockets compared to the bygone days. And they actually steer too. :lol:

Remember bolting on 1" spacers to drop the skis an inch and spread 'em a shackle width. Then we used to run a bead of horseshoe borium along the stock runners and grind it to an edge for steering control. And using the heaviest possible springs cranked up tight on the back axle so more weight was on the skis. The sled turned better but was a bear to steer sometimes, and the overstressed link springs on the back were forever blowing up. I carried spares on the trail. Changing them in the bush was slightly easier than replacing pistons in the snow. :lol:

JF

Our neighbour had another indestructible tank from the 70's, a John Deere.

JD built one nifty little 292 model (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 340) that was pretty popular in the stock classes for a couple of years. The rest pretty much lived up to their tractor heritage,

JF