How to fillet a Pickeral

nancur373

Far from a maintaining a clean sanitized surface to work on and I believe I can match up against him as I have been doing it for almost 40 years ;) But sometimes my fingers get in the way and I end up poking one or two of them going that fast.

My personal best is 70 crappies in one hour.

This might be a fun game...i have been a butcher for 15 years, not a nick i might add, and have been filleting fish since I was allowed out after dark...LOL.

My buddies and I once had a 'debate :whistling: ' about this exact subject and I was sure I could come in under 30 sec....with ALL bones removed. The debate has never finished to this day....I am gonna assume that was about a 20(ish)" walter so I think I will get it on tape over this winter and we'll see what happens. Any contenders???

That being said.....

My personal best is 70 crappies in one hour.

thats amazing...I hate cleaning crappie. I actually don't, if someone will clean I will catch, but they are far too annoying for me.

Billy Bob you must have been happy as a dog eatin' beat root when that was done...LOL

Cheers and sharp blades.

This might be a fun game...i have been a butcher for 15 years, not a nick i might add, and have been filleting fish since I was allowed out after dark...LOL.

My buddies and I once had a 'debate :whistling: ' about this exact subject and I was sure I could come in under 30 sec....with ALL bones removed. The debate has never finished to this day....I am gonna assume that was about a 20(ish)" walter so I think I will get it on tape over this winter and we'll see what happens. Any contenders???

That being said.....

thats amazing...I hate cleaning crappie. I actually don't, if someone will clean I will catch, but they are far too annoying for me.

Billy Bob you must have been happy as a dog eatin' beat root when that was done...LOL

Cheers and sharp blades.

Actually I find crappies to be the easiest because you don't have to contend with belly meat, there is none. I think that is what makes filleting that fish the fastest.

Now yellow perch I find the toughest on my fillet knife as the skin/scales are the toughest around. I like to run my blade on a sharping steel about every 6-7 perch. Don't have to do that with any other fish. I like eating perch but they are definitely my least favorite to fillet.

BTW I still use just a regular 4" fillet knife. Never tried a electric one.

Bob