First time Ice Fishing

stan_133

Hey guys, I've never gone ice fishing before in my life but this year I'm hoping to go out with a buddy and give it a try. I live in the Toronto area and I'm just wondering if i could get a few suggestions on locations. Thanks for the help guy and hope everyone has a great winter.

The Bog hates me too, 3 yrs of ice fishing skunking for me, even when taken there by guys that have done well there in the past. I've heard that there are some big slabs of crappie if you can find certain spots. If you search last season's pages you may get more info. It's all hear-say from me, so I won't go any further.

Lady Simcoe has been much nicer to me. But still looking for my first laker. Gotta go build me another hut though.

Good luck

so erie does freeze over then?

Yes Erie Freezes, but its usually push ice which is a chore to move over... Check out some of the ice fishing pictures from last year and you will see what I am talking about.

perchmarch4th08005.jpg

perchmarch4th08002.jpg

This is the Lower Grand in the winter months

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...ter+ice+fishing

Edited by Jen

• 2 weeks later...
if you wanna catch something, Scugog is close enough and easy to access, go out to the middle, punch some holes and you're guaranteed Perch.

Ahem

Isn't Lake Skugog a manmade lake shaped like a doughnut, with the center being land, so how would you:"Go out into the middle.." and fish?

K here are a few options:

Lake Simcoe- Perch, Pike, Bass, and Whitefish

Lake Scugog- Perch, Crappie, Walleye, Muskie, and Bass

Rice Lake- Walleye, Bass, and Muskie

Hope that helps ya out ;)

lol.. Great help! Bass and muskie through the ice in sanctuaries. Never thought of that!