Winter under clothing

misfish

Since I have dropped 59 pounds I find it very hard to stay warm when Im out sitting in the bush. I even had a one piece clampit suit on and another layer of long johns.A sweater and then my heavy suit. Still I cant seem to keep at a comfortable temp.

Cripes,I use to shovel snow in a t-shirt. :wallbash::wallbash:

What is the best under clothing for my buck.

Edited by misfish

I am not exactly thin but find that Fleece Longjohns keep me not only warm but dry, I wear them and then another layer of clothes on top them my Shimano Suit and I don't get cold. If you are finding that you just can not get warm enough try a down filled vest just under the last layer.

Cheers

Jen

I lost a lot of weight too and know what you mean..... and before that I NEVER felt the cold. Now I do, and I have to say the Remington Walmart cheapie insulated cammo is the best thing I have ever bought. Waterproof mostly windproof and every inexpensive. I just wear a thermal layer (soon to be upgraded to the moisture wicking kind) Then I use a fleece shirt, a windbreaker hoodie, then the parka on top. For the pants I use cheap long johns a pair of windpants then the insulated Remingtons. -100C boots and I stay out long after the people wearing survival suits are crying it is too cold I can't stay out any longer..... Don't forget a good thinsulate hat too.

I have to say with out the wind breaking layer under the Remington I can handle -20 with a stiff wind for about 3 hrs. If I want to fish 6 or 8 though the wind break layer makes all the difference. I can't wait to get the poly under layer for the added comfort.

I do alot of steelheading in the dead of winter and this is what works for me. (im a skinny kid)

First rule...NO COTTON on the bottom layer.

I wear a spyder first layer long sleve. Its kinda like an underarmour material, made by a ski company. You can get pants and the top. Its tight, and wicks the sweat.

Second is a T shirt over the first layer, and then a long sleve over the T shirt.

Next up is your sweater/polar fleece layer. Pick a warm one because this is the layer that keeps the heat in.

I personally am not a big fan of big huge winter jackets, and have a favourite wind break so I double up on sweaters and wear the windbreaker over them.

Its alot of clothes, but will keep you warm if you arent moving much and if you have to walk through the bush you WILL sweat quite alot but the wicking layer keeps you from freezing up once you stop moving

Yeah, my one piece suits are perty warm, aren't they. Thanks fer the plug! B)

How long are you sitting motionless b4 the chill sets-in?

LOL Clamp.

It,s funny,when Im sitting in the stand before sun up Im ok,then when the sun starts to come up,thats when the chill starts. Maybe it has something to do with the moisture starting in the air.?

I lost a lot of weight too and know what you mean
:clapping::clapping:

I am not exactly thin

Me either Jen,just lost the fat and put the musle back on. We all know muscle is not a layer like fat is.

Its alot of clothes, but will keep you warm if you arent moving much and if you have to walk through the bush you WILL sweat quite alot but the wicking layer keeps you from freezing up once you stop moving

Thats another thing,I dont sweat that much. I use to sweat buckets and be cold for a bit then it would go away.

I bet you'll get used to it.

Your "climatized" to the old you....

Tough it out and in time you're body will adjust.

I've never been more then 190lbs

Either I'm warm blooded, or My climatized theory works.

I usualy get cold the first few times out in November but by December I'm used to it.

A couple layers, good boots, and hat will do me fine for the season.

I'd bet you'll adust the same way in due time.

Since I have dropped 59 pounds

Congrats on the weight loss. I can relate to the cold thing. When I shed my weight I couldn't take the cold anymore either. Used to be the first one in the water for a swim in the spring...joking I was part polar bear...now I'm the sissy standing on shore having my family splash water on me and telling me it's fine and to stop being a baby!!!

As far as clothing. I just wear a regular long sleeve T-shirt on the bottom. Over that I have a polar fleece long sleeve turtleneck. That's the secret. Polar fleece is very comfortable and light and the turtleneck really keeps the cold from sneaking down your neck and lower back...which is where I always seem to feel the cold first. over that I just have a regular hooded sweater. And then over that...my survival suit,rainsuit or snowsuit...whichever the weather calls for.

BTW if you do get polarfleece be careful how you dry it. I have a few battlescars on mine from having it in the dryer too long..it actually melted a bit. So watch it carefully or make sure it is in there with a full load of other stuff. Or hang it on the clothsline and avoid the dryer altogether.

Good luck at staying warm, and once again congrats at shedding the LBS...it really is amazing how much better you feel.

Hey Brian, same problem here...

I used to go well into January before putting on a coat to perform my (10-15 minutes at a time) outdoor work. Now I'm bundling up and have been since October.

I'm sure as Cookslav mentioned you will become acclimated to it... as we all do from late fall to early winter. Us newly 'skinny' guys (lol) are feeling the early chill twice as bad having to adjust to the weight loss.

Instead of suffering, I looked hard into dressing for the weather. Most of my solutions came from Mark's Work Warehouse "Windriver" selection. The "NO COTTON" approach really paid off at Quinte!

Windriver thermal underpants: $22

Windriver thermal undershirt: $22

Windriver thermal socks (3 pack): $19

Windriver insulated rain pants (30% off): $69

Viking uninsulated rain coat:$69

Kmart hoody: $15

Sorel Glaciers: $129

I was toasty warm and dry for the 4 miserable days we spent at the BOQ and never broke a sweat in temps ranging from -2ish to +10ish C. I also purchased the Windriver insulated rain coat (30% off): $169 but I have to wait for Christmas to get it! Staying warm doesn't come cheap and it sure helped getting advice from others that spend a lot of time in cold climates. (Thanks guys for your PM's)

-Brian

Hey Bud,

I'll post the link and the rest will be up to you so I do not get accused of selling on here.

If you want info you can PM me--not my company but it belongs to my old hunting buddy.

www.arcticshield.ca

Bushart

Got it on my fav for now. Busy here right now,but a big thanks for the link Bud.

Hey Brian, same problem here...

Boy were all getting in shape eh Brian. :clapping:

Thanks for the reply Bud.

Im heading out in the am with some of the advise from here. Lets see how it works.

Im sure if I get one down,I,ll be warm ALL OVER.LOL

A question about the cotten? I have heard from the ol boys,it,s the best to have??????????????

Layers. Lots of em. One piece, t-shirt, longsleeve, hoody,bigger sweater, fleece, windbreaker. Bottom layer over the one piece are old pair of joggers cut to 3/4 length, joggers, insulated bib pants. Footwear, nothing but wool and a good pair of boots. I'm about as skinny as they come, this getup keeps me toasty and I work outside all year round.

A question about the cotten? I have heard from the ol boys,it,s the best to have??????????????

Cotton will wick moisture away from your skin but it also retains it - making you cold. Polyesters wick moisture and dry extremely fast - keeping you warm. Wool works nicely as it dries faster than cotton but is bulky. For extreme cold I will be base layering with polyester and insulating with wool or fleece and topping it off with insulated rain gear.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.ph...&ac=MondayM

Get yer redneck butt up here,and we,ll see how well you can hang in the tree with that inflatable. Smart :asshat::lol:

How the hell are you going to catch a fish while yer sittin' in a tree??? :Gonefishing: ... trees are for monkey's!!!

Come fish with me for a day in August, and I'll have you begging for a blizzard!!! :canadian: