Baitcaster vs. Spinner

happy_hooker

I've always fished spinning combos, but was looking into picking up a baitcaster to change things up....I was hoping to get some advice.... a) Why use baitcaster over spinning? B) What situations would you use one over the other c) Any suggested products? d) Anything else I should know...

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Cheers

I use my baitcasters for baits from spinners to senkos, actually most baits. I get a better hook set over spinning, they are able to handle heavy braid with no issues, I also find they have better cranking power when ripping a fish out of heavy cover. And so on.... For the brand, go either Shimano or Daiwa, like mentioned don't cheap out, buy once and it will last forever.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

I use my baitcasters any chance I get, I feel like I have more control with them.. However if I am vertical fishing/jigging then the spinning rod gets the nod all the time. Also if I am pitching really light baits, like small tubes, I'll also use my spinning rods..

For baits such as topwater, it take so much less effort with a baitcaster then a spinning setup.

All my stream fishing (brookies, bows, etc) in the summer is done with a UL 7ft spinning setup with 4lb test.

Baitcasters - Heavier conditions - throwing heavy lures - Throwing into heavy cover using heavier rods and lines.

Baitcasters are easier to pitch or flip near docks and structure where you have the stop the lure quickly and smoothly.

Baitcasters are quicker to cast with. no bail to flip over (just push button and thumb spool).

Baitcasters generally have smoother drag systems as well.

Spinning - Better with light line and finnesse fishing often with lighter rods. No threat of birdsnest with light lures. Spinning reels good for throwing into wind.

Spinning reels easier to learn on without the threat of serious birdsnests for beginners.

I have 6 baitcasting and 6 spinning reels.

I have found myself finness fishing more lately so I have been using the spinning rods more.

Really depends on the fish.

No way are you going to get a 5 pounds LM out of the pads with a medium 6'6" spinning rod with 8 pound test.

I use my 7' heavy rod with baitcasting reel loaded with 30 pound power pro.

No way am going to drop shot on Simcoe with that same 7' heavy rod with baitcasting reel loaded with 30 pound power pro.

Edited by Cudz

Shimano is my preferred choice but others will disagree.

Hmmmm I find it hard to disagree that Shimano is your preferred choice Lew :whistling::lol:

happy_hooker you need to provide some info on what type of fish and techniques you plan to use on them.

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it's greatly appreciated!!!

Right now I have three spinning rods, 2 shimano's and an ugly stick.....I find them to be great for what I am generally going after locally (Bass & Pike).

That being said on frequent trips north (North of the Soo), Nipissing, Whitestone lake (and surrounding lakes), I was hoping to get some versatility in the equipment to handle the larger pike, occassional muskie and big lakers....On the trips up north, I find myself totally underequiped to hook onto the bigger boys. Didn't have much trouble with the bigger bass, but I couldn't even imagine grabbing a big laker with the rig I was running.

As well, I'm pretty sure next year we'll be getting into some salmon out on Lake Ontario.....is it okay to downrig with the baitcaster's???

Cheers dudes

As for techniques, usually run topwater, crankbaits, jig, and spoons locally....seems to do the trick. I don't own a boat, just a canoe, so haven't had much of an opportunity to get out after the bigger fish on larger/faster moving bodies of water. I have a pretty keen interest in expanding my knowledge of techniques and species, so I hope to pick up a boat for next season to allow for that....

Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it's greatly appreciated!!!

Right now I have three spinning rods, 2 shimano's and an ugly stick.....I find them to be great for what I am generally going after locally (Bass & Pike).

That being said on frequent trips north (North of the Soo), Nipissing, Whitestone lake (and surrounding lakes), I was hoping to get some versatility in the equipment to handle the larger pike, occassional muskie and big lakers....On the trips up north, I find myself totally underequiped to hook onto the bigger boys. Didn't have much trouble with the bigger bass, but I couldn't even imagine grabbing a big laker with the rig I was running.

As well, I'm pretty sure next year we'll be getting into some salmon out on Lake Ontario.....is it okay to downrig with the baitcaster's???

Cheers dudes

If you plan on downrigging for salmon then you can use a baitcaster, but go for a bigger model that holds more line. You will also have to change your stiffer 6'6" - 7' baitcasting rod for a 8'6" - 10' rigger rod.

Shimanos are always good but I also have 2 Abu Garcias that hold lots of line and I have a quantum PT tour edition which is very smooth as well. My daiwa is a very good reel as well.

I prefer Shimano myself in the past and will stay with the brand although I did pick up a Johnny Morris baitcaster recently and it's a nice reel. For pike and salmon yes you can get way with one reel and I would recommend a shimano calcutta however the choice is up to the individual, you need to handle a few reels yourself to decide.

I am starting to develop my round reel arsenal while learning to fish for larger fish like salmon, pike, muskie. A spinning reel does well for me in many situations, but... I like the baitcaster / trolling reel for:

• flatlining
  • downrigging
  • fishing big baits for pike or muskie, casting or trolling
  • casting heavy lures

I still don't see the point behind those low profile baitcasters with tiny spools, like Crestfire.image.-familyImage-Single-image.dash.512.384.gif.

I like something like this better.

1527c5ce3573526e94df8d9d48643bd2.jpg

Doug, they're light and more comfortably fitting in your hand. For a bass fisherman, it's a godsend. I like the Crestfire, great value. Mine has gone 4 seasons now with no problems running 50lb braid and I beat the crap out of it.

Like others have said..

Each one has it's place. Baitcasters work well for heavy baits and heavy line, and I find are a heck of a lot more accurate for casting into tight places. You can also easily make a quiet presentation by having total spool control with your thumb at all times. Great if you like bass fishing in shallow.

Spinning reels are good for light baits and jigging. I always have a few of each in the boat. Often bass fishing I don't touch the spinning reel but it's good to have around should I need to go to a light presentation.

Big fish, like Lew says casting reel heavy line, object is to actually land the fish once you stick them. Low profile casting reels are a comfort reel, smaller line capacities and lighter usually, well suited for days of casting for species like bass.

Round reels generally have a larger line capacity, long line trolling, fast and long running fish like Salmon, casting for muskie.

Just my experience spinning reels don`t work to well with heavier line, braid has probably changed that due to smaller diameter of the line.

Open water smaller species, small mouth walleye ect, just what you are comfortable with, same to an extent anywhere, but big fish out of a weedy area, wood, cover baitcaster and a stiff stick.

Shimano for me also some older Abu`s. Not a fan of cheap (poor quality) reels.

Edited:

Lets just say say it was way too long.....

I have changed over everything to baitcaster except my jigging and casting walleye reels/combo's.

Always a shimano guy...I have the new Okuma round baitcasters very, very much tomu liking matched with their okuma rods.

I do not have a SPIEL rod yet but have used one and the closest I have found to them commercially is either the okuma line of rods or one of the new to us 'KISTLER' line....a lil picey but...what isnt.

For all mu shimano baitcasters I use almost nothing but Compres///1 pce and eithe M or M-H with the odd StCroix tossed in Im happy with what Ive got...more so then the sapincasting gear I used to throw..

If you'd like more info drop me a PM.

Edited by brickNblock

one more thing....

I only have the one low-profile baitcaster...its one of the okumas..

the rest are the round baitcasters..they fit nicer into my hands...

Most all my rods are compres and 1 pc M-H or H except for the okumas which just use okuma rods but the line counetr rods are either compres or st.croix of one model or another depending on the application...

again...besides chris's rods...the best I ve felt out ther are the new to us Kistler selction....a litle pricey but well worth the ease of your fishing day as faras as stress on your elbows and such.

I think Ill have another beer...I see my spelling and thought process isnt what it should be...G'night.

and

bestOluck to you.

Edited by brickNblock

To me Baitcasters are overrated, and over marketed. Whatever a Baitcaster does, a Spinning reel can do the same. Put it this way. If you had a choice of only one. What would you pick. Mine are used for trolling, they hold more line and I dont have to cast them often.

Edited by holdfast

Baitcasters definatly have their place. It depends on that you are doing. If you are wenching in fish outa slop baitcasters can be a god send. I use a spinning reel for all my fishing. From jigging lakers in 40+ feet of water to fallfish on small spinners. You dont "need" a bait caster but they are very applicable in a multitude of conditions. Fishing for big musky i have to say it's pretty much a must. Trolling with down riggers.....likewise. Dont think you need one though just cause you are targetting big fish. All day casting they may be benificial to you or they may not there is pros and cons. Spinning rods cast father but i've seen guys with bait casters pull of accuracy that is mind blowing. They take skill to use done let anyone tell you other wise.

You might not get that 5 pound bass outa the lilly pads with 8 pound test. Without skill and a little luck...but i pulled a 44" inch northern out of a dead pencil reed bed this spring on ten pound test with my "dinkey" spinning reel and 6'6 spinning rod.

Dont pick the reel for the fish you're after size or other wise. Choose it for the lure and the technique you are doing.

-R-

I used baitcasters for the first time this summer. They are good for some things: super accurate casts to cover being the #1 thing for me. As for the other benefits that are often attributed to them - speed of retrieve, casting distance, hookset, speed of casting - I just didn't experience enough of a difference to believe that it's significant. I'm no pro, but I can toss something way farther, especially lighter lures, with a spinning reel. Bass pros have really popularised them, but they have very different needs than most casual fishers.

On the downside, I find them much more tiring - I have some wrist problems - to use all day. You are fighting the torque of the rod wanting to turn over in your hand.

On the downside, I find them much more tiring - I have some wrist problems - to use all day. You are fighting the torque of the rod wanting to turn over in your hand.

Don't know how your holding your baitcaster singingdog, but I see alot of folks who are new to them holding the rod handle behind the reel, and that will definetely get tiring after awhile with the weight of the reel trying to turn the rod over.

Try palming the reel and actually hold on to it rather than the rod itself.

Kinda hard to explain, but you hook 2 fingers under the rod near the trigger, below the reel seat, then the other 2 fingers go around and under the front of the reel, and then your thumb goes over the top of the sideplate.

This way, the whole setup is gripped firmly and it actually becomes an extension of your arm and is very easy and comfortable to use all day long with little or no fatique, and also, the rod will not be trying to turn over with the weight of the reel on top.

Give it a try and I think you'll find a huge difference.

For anyone else thinking of trying them for the 1st time but are concerned about them, baitcasters are extremely easy to use and no more difficult than a spinning reel, but unfortunately some folks think of them as something intimidating or difficult and are afraid to use them.

Just think of them as another tool in the tacklebox, and it's no more different than adding a new wrench to your tool box. Once you practice for a few minutes and get the hang of them, you'll wonder what you were concerned with ;)

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but another huge advantage to baitcasters is that you don't get line twist. Anyone who has fished salmon from the piers with a spinning reel can attest to the ridiculous line twist you get after a couple fish.

The Shimano calcutta is my reel of choice - I usually run 10lb P-line which is enough for most fish that I catch (including pike up to 42", etc. they rarely even pull drag). If I was fishing slop or something similar it would be a different story, but if you can only afford one go-to good quality reel, 10lb is a good compromise between strength and invisibility in my opinion.

With the advent of braid and much heavier spinning rods now available a big advantage of baitcasters has been negated 1/handle large baits,line 2/horse big fish outta cover.BUT the single biggest advantage still exists and that is lure control,you can put it right on the money when target fishing.Yes I know some guys are good with spinning for hitting docks etc. I've flipped/pitched,did docks etc with them but it still won't compare to the acurate soft water entry of a baitcaster.