Kitchen faucets - I didn't know they needed regular maintenance (NF)

forrest

I own one of those single handle kitchen taps.

The tap was leaking so I took it apart and put it back together. When I ran the tap again out came all of the black water!

Took it apart again and noticed that the spring loaded valve seals had so much material oozing from them I could write with it. After calling the terrible US customer service centre for Delta. I decided to get an answer from the canadian customer service: These seals need to be replaced on a regular basis so they wont deteriorate and seep into the water!

you may want to check your faucet (its really easy).

Is this common info?

Forrest

I own one of those single handle kitchen taps.

The tap was leaking so I took it apart and put it back together. When I ran the tap again out came all of the black water!

Took it apart again and noticed that the spring loaded valve seals had so much material oozing from them I could write with it. After calling the terrible US customer service centre for Delta. I decided to get an answer from the canadian customer service: These seals need to be replaced on a regular basis so they wont deteriorate and seep into the water!

you may want to check your faucet (its really easy).

Is this common info?

Forrest

Don't know if it's common knowledge, just a maintenance thing, my tub faucet appears to have the same 2 rubber knobby things with springs, need replacing about once a year, but, I would rather that then the junk Moen faucet that could not be taken apart after a year.

You guys are doing something wrong if You have to replace delta springs and washers or can't take a moen after a year, I have taken 40 year old moens with brass cartridges apart. As for the delta check to make sure the bottom of the cartridge is smooth and grease the springs and washers when going in.

You guys are doing something wrong if You have to replace delta springs and washers or can't take a moen after a year, I have taken 40 year old moens with brass cartridges apart. As for the delta check to make sure the bottom of the cartridge is smooth and grease the springs and washers when going in.

For the Moen, I kept all the paperwork, unscrew the handle, pull the "E" clip and then the cartridge should pull out, I'll have to emphasize SHOULD, if I pulled any harder, the whole chitten faucet would have come up through the counter top. Took the whole unit out, and finally in a 6 inch bench vise and wrecking bar it came out, bad molding or whatever, but never another Moen.

Put grease in my drinking water? no thanks. Delta recommended against it too.

If I was not told that this was normal I would have sworn it was being broken down by some solvent of rubber.....like the kind that can be found in some grease. Maybe the chlorine was breaking it down. The rubber was still flexible, with no cracks or pieces missing.

I threw the round metal cartridge piece in vinegar and used a tooth brush to rub off the hard water build up...all shiny and non-leaking now.

In 6 months I will check and replace 6 months after that, it is super easy. Parts are free for Deltas (lifetime warranty).

forrest

Edited by forrest

For the Moen, I kept all the paperwork, unscrew the handle, pull the "E" clip and then the cartridge should pull out, I'll have to emphasize SHOULD, if I pulled any harder, the whole chitten faucet would have come up through the counter top. Took the whole unit out, and finally in a 6 inch bench vise and wrecking bar it came out, bad molding or whatever, but never another Moen.

Their are a few tools made to get the stuck cartridges out with out harming the faucet Any of the Moen faucets that are made after 1996 use a 1225 cartridge that is plastic and stopped the issue of the cartridge bonding between the brass units. If you have any issues in the future with the moens made after 1996 and you are the original owner they have a lifetime warrentee that actually means something. You can call them at 1-800 buy-moen While this sounds like a commercial for them I am just a plumber that appreciates a good product and great support.

A word of note as far as the black in the delta the cups : The rubber is deteriorating but it is far from needing service until it actually leaks. The little bit of discoloredness does not indicate that they are close to failing just oxidized.

Art

Edited by aplumma

I work as a Pipefitter/Millwright for a well known Mechanical outfit in the city and have been told on six or seven separate occasions not to buy faucet fixtures at the regular Canadian Tire or Home Depot etc, if you are looking for higher quality fixtures, buy them at the plumbing distributors like Noble Trade, or Brampton Plumbing etc.

The quality of the crap they sell at the regular mans outlet is nowhere near the quality of the trade suppliers. You will pay a little more but you will get solid brass not plastic and there is without a doubt, a big difference in quality.

This goes for Peerless, Moen or any of the top brands.

There is simply a much cheaper grade of fixture being sold in the big residential purchase outlets.

I have been installing fixtures from Noble for years and have also worked on the ones being sold at the other outlets and can attest to the fact that there is a very large difference.

Check for yourself, purchase one of each (same model) and notice the weight difference alone.

A good quality unit from Noble will last for years without having to touch anything.

Well to counter that Stan... lol... When I built this house I took a couple of buggies thru Home Depot, in Barrie, and loaded every plumbing fitting and tap I have installed here into it. Not one drips after 13+ years of use. SOme are Moen.. some Delta and some are just "no-name junk"

Well to counter that Stan... lol... When I built this house I took a couple of buggies thru Home Depot, in Barrie, and loaded every plumbing fitting and tap I have installed here into it. Not one drips after 13+ years of use. SOme are Moen.. some Delta and some are just "no-name junk"

Perhaps this is something that has started to occur in the last ten years or so but

have definitely seen a difference first hand around the GTA.

We do mostly schools and a lot of them use American Standard, even the plating on these is three times the quality of the chrome plated plastic components that is being used in the residential purchase outlets.

I am sure there are other plumbers on this site who can also attest to this fact.

Put grease in my drinking water? no thanks. Delta recommended against it too.

If I was not told that this was normal I would have sworn it was being broken down by some solvent of rubber.....like the kind that can be found in some grease. Maybe the chlorine was breaking it down. The rubber was still flexible, with no cracks or pieces missing.

I threw the round metal cartridge piece in vinegar and used a tooth brush to rub off the hard water build up...all shiny and non-leaking now.

In 6 months I will check and replace 6 months after that, it is super easy. Parts are free for Deltas (lifetime warranty).

forrest

Silicone grease is safe to use in a potable water system. Who ever told it is normal to fix a faucet every year is a moron.

Fishinfool is correct home depot does not sell the same quality as a plumbing wholesaler. Thats why your best to hire a plumber and not spend 20 on a peice of junk glacier bay faucet from home depot that will break in 6 months

Edited by Rombo

Silicone grease is safe to use in a potable water system. Who ever told it is normal to fix a faucet every year is a moron.

The company that made the $250 fauce (delta)t told me that they should be changed .....parts are free and its easy so I figured once a year was OK and was not disagreed with.

Delta also stated not to use grease....I am not a fan of silicone either....but...which silicone product are pros using?

Oh yeah...Chloromines break down rubber.....some places are using that instead of chlorine (need to do more research on that one)

forrest

He is right Wayne, the junk in Home Depot IS different than the wholesale pro line, by quite a bit.

Oh yea Forrest, the BEST Delta reapir kit is a Moen faucet....

If you decide to repair it, it shouldnt need grease on the springs and cups.