Skamania Trout

TerryC

Can anyone tell me about a Skamania Trout, I remember reading alot of old fishing mags back inth 80's that reffered to them as wild fighting fish. Is this a just a seperate strain of steelhead, perhaps a stocked fish. How can you identify these trout i.e markings, forked tail. Just curious.

P.S If they are different I would love someone to post a picture.

Thanks

They are summer run steelhead. They usually start running the rivers in july. There used to be a fishable population in Owen Sound in the 90's. The states of Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois are the best place in the GL region to fish them as they stock quite a few and have strong runs.

Yes, they are a strain of Steelhead; and they do run in the summer.

I have never caught one myself. I understand that they are slimmer than a normal steelhead and have a larger tail.

Ontario has not stocked them for a few years. I believe that the US stocks some in Lake Huron.

years back there was some decent numbers of them in the Niagara, it has however been quite a while since I caught one. High flying acrobats is right,,last one I ever caught was about 6 years ago on bass opener, and that sucker jumped out of the water like 10-15 times on the way in. :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

from what ive heard up here in the soo.

the st. marys and other tribs that conect to the st. marys have a summer run of steelhead. i guess those are the skamaina trout??

Its possible, just because they are summer run does not mean they are skamania for sure though.

We get the odd summer run (REALLY small) here in the south too (oops, did I say that out loud) and I dont believe they are skamania

Now I'm curious. Does anybody know why we don't stock them any more???

I remember hearing about Skamania back in the day and about how it was gonna be the game fish of the future with its acrobatics and, being a summer runner, it would be more accessible to more fisherman earlier in the year.

Now I'm curious. Does anybody know why we don't stock them any more???

I remember hearing about Skamania back in the day and about how it was gonna be the game fish of the future with its acrobatics and, being a summer runner, it would be more accessible to more fisherman earlier in the year.

I remeber my uncle talking about the skamania last year. He is part of a stocking program on lake Huron and I remember him saying something about them...Cant for the life of me remember what though. Ill ask next time I see him

They used to stock them in the Geen half a decade ago, but they weren't reproducing well, so the program was scrapped .... Beautiful fish , but they pretty much commit suicide running their hearts out when you hook them....Very tough to revive once you land them.