Wind Speed for boating-Urgent reply

idesign

Guys can any1 tell me the safe wind speed for boating.Right now on weather.ca it is showing "Wind E 25km/h".so is this safe speed.outside looks sunny.i wana go with friends for boat riding for last time before i winterize.so can some1 reply fast.thx

Where?

What kind of boat?

There a lot of things to think about. What kind/ how big of boat. And mostly what direction is the wind coming from? If it's blowing across the lake that will create bigger waves. What lake are you on?

There really is no definitive answer to this question. You just need to use common sense!!

If you're new to boating play it safe especially if you're on the great lakes, or another large lake!

Edited by timmeh

thx guys for replying.as per ur suggestions i am not going.here winds is getting nasty by my house so i am assuming lake would be more worst.thx

BTW,what if we are close to shore.is it still dangerous.just asking for future reference.let me know.

Edited by New Angler

These are the limits for wind warnings by Environment Canada.

Marine Warnings Criteria

Small Craft Warning

A warning of winds from 20 to 33 knots.

Gale Force Winds

A warning of winds from 34 to 47 knots.

Storm Force Winds

A warning of winds from 48 to 63 knots.

Hurricane Force Winds

A warning of winds of 64 knots or greater not necessarily associated with a storm of tropical origin.

Tom

im with pigeontroller. i seem to remember posts from earlier this year and the purchase of the boat you're talking about

seems you're quite the beginner (dont take it the wrong way...i am too). lake o is a big body of water... even on a good day it can turn on you REAL quickly. a few fish isnt worth risking safety

Guys can any1 tell me the safe wind speed for boating.Right now on weather.ca it is showing "Wind E 25km/h".so is this safe speed.outside looks sunny.i wana go with friends for boat riding for last time before i winterize.so can some1 reply fast.thx

New Angler.

Here is a chart for wind speeds. Called the Beaufort Wind Scale. This gives you the speed, in Knots and Kms, also a desrciption of what the seas would look like.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/glos...mp;siteID=07601

You should also bookmark the weather page that will have a link to it.

John

thx guys for replying.as per ur suggestions i am not going.here winds is getting nasty by my house so i am assuming lake would be more worst.thx

BTW,what if we are close to shore.is it still dangerous.just asking for future reference.let me know.

If you're closer to shore, it only means you won't have to swim as far to reach it!

Being in a small boat in rough water isn't usually that much fun, and the fishin' isn't usually very good either.

Use the windy days to work on/clean your boat and to clean and lubricate your reels, sharpen your hooks, check your line, organize your tackle box...

Lake Ontario.. Bluffer's Park

Boat is 17.5 foot bow rider.

Not at this time of the year. That water is cold! And there aren't many other boats out there to come to aid at this time of year.

I would suggest getting some experience in the summer months before heading out in November.

Experience in that area is the only way to answer that as we would need to know wind speed and fetch (distance the wind travels across the water)and local depth.

Wind at that speed across the water would produce lots of chop and white caps pretty much everywhere and set up into big rollers.

Close to shore is fine for an off shore wind but if the wind blows wave action toward shore its the last place you want to be. Waves are wheels of water and you only see the tops, as the waves get crowded in the shallow water and by returning surge they rise up higher and break more. And when the %$$ hits the fan you want to be out where you have more time to react.

A bow rider in big rollers is also a big dipper and can scoop up a lot of water.

Staying home was a good idea. Boating in heavy weather is something you want to practice your way into rather than a crash course.