Durring Tough Economic Times...

Wild

Will catch and release become less important or will keeping a limit for the table become more important?

Would the MNR be prepared?

I guess it would depend on how tough things get. I don't think it will change too much. Simply put, modern Canadians have gotten too used to supermarket conveniences.

As an example, I went to an annual fishing camp in the spring on Nippissing. We decided that every body should do all their own filleting rather than dumping it on 3 of us. Now there are 40 guys there. At the fish fry us fish carvers were smart enough to keep our fillets separate. Let the other guys spit out bones :P

How many people actually know how to carve meat off a quarter? Those skills are lost to most people. So I don't see the catch ratios getting too high.

Edited by bigugli

Tough times may also lead to less people fishing, think about it: fewer dollars to spend on gas, tackle etc.

I wonder if the price of gas was still around $1.30 if how this would have effected the fall steelhead fishing. I'm sure the tribs in the GTA would still be full but I wonder just how many people would be driving to the maitland, saugeen and the notty as often as they do. I for one would have had to cut back.

Maybe the odd person will keep a few fish, but i agree with bigugli that most people are accustomed to modern conviences. During tough times I suspect most people would simply cut back on restaurants and mcdonalds before they resort to catching dinner.

Edited by timmeh

Well alot of the fishing lodges & camps up north have already said that their american guests are not comming like they used to,from both reasons: high gas prices & our high dollar,but now with our dollar being so low they might start comming back !!! and i for one have been a little more selective about where im fishing specially if im driving more than a few hours ...for years i would just jump in my vehicle and just drive somewhere to go fishing and not even think about it,many,many trips were 2,3,4 hrs long with no consideration about gas prices !!!now im a little more picky,and i think less people will dive to go fishing and fish a little closer to home,except for us die-hards,i will still do my 12 or so trips a year were i drive up to 4 hrs to go fishing !!!!

Sorry, didn't mean that to come off as "this has been done, let's move on". Indeed it is an interesting topic. I was just thinking about it and I think the last similar thread was more to do with the soaring gas prices and if that was going to affect the number of fish you kept. Basically asking that if the high gas prices made you fish less, would you keep more fish. Someone will be able to link to that I'm sure.

Hey Bob you hafta catch them first! :whistling::lol: But we will have to keep an eye on you next season as you lay a whoopin on the Kawartha eyes and bass

charlied I hope a plan comes together soon for the Niagara area,the government has to stop wasting time and do something. I also read how empty the Buffalo shopping malls are now and that's not good for either side of the border.

Hey Bob you hafta catch them first! :whistling::lol: But we will have to keep an eye on you next season as you lay a whoopin on the Kawartha eyes and bass

You got that RIGHT Wild Man................. However, I expect a Big Hurt on the walleyes next season............ the best part of fishing is the planning EH ! ! !

Bob

charlied I hope a plan comes together soon for the Niagara area,the government has to stop wasting time and do something. I also read how empty the Buffalo shopping malls are now and that's not good for either side of the border.

I doubt the government will do anything about the Niagara region... In my case I don't think it had anything to do with economical aspect as this is the second time this year this company has laid me off on the 89th day of my 90 day union initiation. Plus there is union contract renewal at the end of the month. Its all about numbers! Just sucks to get pulled into the office by the manager and have him say you are an awsome worker and then lie to your face about it being slow times, as i have found out they are asking guys to work overtime on my machine as there is an empty opening. They won't keep me on and pay regular wages but will ask guys and give them time and a half, does that sound right! I don't think there is much loyalty between employers and workers anymore. Sorry just venting alittle, been a really rough week for me trying to find other employment when there is not much here to offer except the great fishing...LOL. So if anyone hears of a couple day labouring jobs let me know...LOL. Just kidding.

Absolutely, perhaps we can get together for a day of whoopin

Ooops I will only take a fish or two :rolleyes:

You're on my Canadian brother. Sometime in late June or early July the water levels in the Kawarthas will be reduced because of the fish we catch :)

Bob