Through rain, sleet and snow...

Bly

I was lucky enough to get a day off during the week and decided to try a little rainbow fishing surf style. Donned the waders, grabbed the gear and headed for the local "surf".....

beach2.jpg

Hmmm, time for Plan B. Find a local trib and maybe some shelter from the wind.

Found a place to drift, only question was I going to be able to with the high wind. First drift, completely off target. Second drift, ok got it...drifting.....fish on! Nice little bow, quick release, check my line and back to fishing. About hour goes by, float goes down again, set the hook and my line starts peeling and peeling and peeling. Knew I should have set the drag tighter, start thumbing the spool...slows the fish a bit but the fight continues. Spent several more minutes this way...I gain some line, the fish peels off again and just when I think I might get a look at it, the drag starts singing again. I managed to turn the fish yet again, gain some real line on it and just as I can almost make it out in the murky waters.......snap! :wallbash: Ah well, sometimes I win, sometimes the fish wins <_<

Over the next two hours the wind seem to increase, the rain turned to ice and then snow and the action was slow. Decided to walk around and tidy up the area and decide what to do next. Saw a few fish moving through an area just south of me, why not make a few more drifts. Drifted a variety of baits through the area, continued to see the occasional fish surface but no hits. Now what? Then I remembered the bright kwikfish that I had bought last year. I have tried this on occasion but never had any luck. This area looked perfect for it, figured I couldn't do any worse. Third time through the pool...fish on! I can feel this is another nice one....drag sings for a bit followed by a first of many aerial acrobatics. Just before the fish decides it is going to jump yet again, I am adjusting my footing..I am standing in muck in about 2 ft of water and one foot is stuck...just as the fish breaks the surface, I begin to lose my balance....I have 2 choices, continue to fall backwards or try to go forward, land on my knees and stay at least somewhat upright........option 2 proved to be a good choice. There I am, on my knees, waist deep in the water and a trout on the end of the line trying to break free. Managed to keep tension on the fish while working my way back on my knees to the shore. Found some more solid ground, land the fish and this time I made sure to get a picture. Not nearly as artistic as Solopaddler, Paulus and a few of the others around here (Really amazing the pictures you guys manage while fishing solo! :worthy: ) but a picture........approx 28"

carole1-4.jpg

Boots full of very cold water, covered in mud, and the snow fall increasing, figured it was a good time to call it a day. Filled the garbage bag with the piles of trash I had been gathering throughout the day and headed home.

So....first ever fish on a kwikfish, might need to get a few more of those and my first time "falling" in....really glad I had my rain pants on under the waders! Was soaked from the knees down but at least I had a dry "seat" for the ride home :rolleyes:

cool bly!

Ill be back at the haunt on saturday morning, would love some company if you and/or cliff were looking for a drift

Thanks Kemper. Saturday is out for us but might be able to get out on Sunday. Best of luck!

nice going on the fish,nothing like the first couple "cold adventures" for the year..it was just snowing a couple flakes here at my house this morning..I say bring it on, I hope it stays cold for the next couple days..Sunday I am getting the boat out for some steelies. Kwikfish are always a good choice as well a couple times during the season, when the bite is predominantly on minnows as opposed to roe, if you are hammering them in an area on Kwikies, don't be shy about throwing around some streamers in the mix. :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

First I see a car in the local starbucks parking lot covered in snow now I read this - this is the part where I cover my ears and eyes and refuse to believe summer is over :(. Glad to see you chose the fall forward option, a nice fish like that probably made the soaker a lot more bearable.

Nice fish Carole....but next time, could you not leave the waders in the shower? Almost killed myself this morning....LOL.

consider yourself lucky Cliff - many a man would have a tear of happiness brought to their eye if they came home to find their wife's FISHING waders in the shower! I know I would - especially if my wife was still in-em! :whistling:

Thanks for the report Bly - great read and photos!

Cheers,

Ryan

consider yourself lucky Cliff - many a man would have a tear of happiness brought to their eye if they came home to find their wife's FISHING waders in the shower! I know I would - especially if my wife was still in-em! :whistling:

Cheers,

Ryan

LOL....thanks for the perspective!!!

Great report and pics bly!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

The sky in the first pic looks formidable!... and those waves like that on Lake O are amazing!

Glad you landed that fish after all the trouble you went thru to get it :clapping: , you're the toughest gal I know!!! ;)

Thanks Glen :) We will see how "tough" I am when I have my first hook buried in my finger past the barb!

.......... if you are hammering them in an area on Kwikies, don't be shy about throwing around some streamers in the mix. :Gonefishing:

I have seen pictures of streamers but never used one....care to educate on the technique and presentation??

Very nice, Carole. Your report certainly w(h)ets my appetite for tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to hearing how it goes tomorrow...ok, a little envious also :)

haha nice Cliff.

Side note, Carole have you figured out how to dry those things out? Mine got wet inside and they have been wet for weeks!

Since they are already soaked, I give them a good rinse to remove the mud etc. and then hang them from the boots until they stop dripping, stuff a towel down in the boots to absorb as much moisture as possible, after I think I have as mush of it as I can get, I place a new dry towel in the boots and leave it for a few hours......after that, hang by the boots again. This worked great the last time Cliff soaked a pair.

Cheers,

Ryan

Gee, he acts like he didn't know they were there........Thanks for helping him out with his perspective :clapping: