Puncture wound first aid

Greencoachdog

Being a Carpenter by trade and a Construction Supervisor, I have had and seen a lot of puncture wounds like the fish hook I had embedded in me yesterday. I have been trained in all types of first aid.

Puncture wounds are one of the construction trades worst "minor injuries". They may seem minor at first but can become severely infected if not properly cared for, and can lead to amputation and possibly even death.

The company I used to work for started a policy of seeking medical treatment for all puncture wounds no matter how slight they may seem at first, because of the high infection rate of non treated puncture wounds.

This site gives a good description of Puncture Wound First Aid in case you ever get a hook embedded in your flesh.

Some things to remember should you happen to get a hook in you.

1. Don't rip the hook out the way it went in! This can tear veins, arteries, nerves, and tendons! It will also make a ragged tear hole that will take a lot longer to heal than a nice clean puncture!There is an added benefit to pushing the hook thru to cut off the barb for cleaner removal of the hook, this being there are now 2 holes for the wound to drain and bleed from.

2. Let the wound bleed! This will help remove any impurities and/or forign material. Pinch the wound to make it bleed if need be.

3. Don't apply antibiotic creams to a puncture wound, this can cause the upper portion of the wound to heal over trapping infection below. You want the wound to remain open to drain if it needs to. A puncture wound should heal from the bottom of the wound up to the skins surface.

4. Monitor the wound daily if not more often... look at it! If it becomes red and irritated Seek Medical Attention!!!

My hook wound is nealy healed now after only 30 hrs. because I took care of it. I only feel slight pain when I press on it firmly, there is no redness and the 2 holes are the size of pinheads!

I hope this may help someone sometime.

Thanks GCD, good info

I have slammed a few hooks into myself and I have no feeling in the left side of my left thumb because of a hook. Got jammed in right tight against the bone and left me only one option, yank the sucker out!

Hurt like nothing before, and must have killed a few nerves in the process. I have also used the push through and cut method and the go see the doctor method (when you have two trebles in your back muscles the push through thing really isnt an option.) and the push through heals the nicest

You mentioned in your initial report that this in not the first time you've matched your PB.

Does this "wonder guide" also gives any tips on how not to get a puncture wound in the first place? :whistling:

Good on you Dawg, for taking pictures during your surgery. I can just see you workin' that lure off the split-ring, holding the camera and a smoke dangling from your mouth all at the same time. :thumbsup_anim:

Good to hear your healing up OK Glen and you made some good points here too about taking care of wounds.

If I could add one more suggestion.........

A few years back myself & musky-man were fishing and I caught a musky, but when I picked her up outta the water, she turned on me and slashed the base of my thumb wide open. Not sure if it was her teeth or the hook but she made a real mess of me. It was early in the morning and even though I needed medical attention I didn't want to ruin a days fishing, so we wrapped it up as best as we could and continued fish for the rest of the day.

It was still bleeding 12 hours later so I went into Peterboro hospital where the doctor had to put 8 stitches in my thumb to fix it up. :stretcher:

He told me I was stupid for letting it go that long cause lake water is filthy and full of every kind of bacteria imaginable, not to mention all the gas and oil that was floating around. He said that getting lake water in a bad cut was very serious and it should be taken care of immediately and had I waited another 12 hours I would have probably been in very serious trouble.

If you get cut or stuck, get it fixed.

......... I'm also happy to say that fish swam away heathy and strong, although I'm sure I heard her laffing at my misfortune as she headed back to the deep water :thumbsup_anim: