18 MILE CREEK in Olcott NY

jdmls

Hey Guys

I am planning a trip down to Olcott NY to fish 18 Mile in the next month. I have never been down there and had a few question I was hoping you guys could help me out with .... FYI I have been for warned of the snaggers all over that creek, so no need to bash the creek anymore than I have already heard...

-Where do I get a fishing liscence to fish NY ? any links online ?

- Where is the best location to park for access to the better pools ? I am only aware of Burt dam ? any other stretches worth trying out down below the dam section ?

- What do you tell the officer at the border ? "Fishing for the day" or will this get me a headache and the rubber glove, LOL ?

- Are the horror stories of the locals in NY vandalizing vehicles with Ontario plates true ? I have heard that its best to rent a car at the border so you don't have to park your car near the river as the locals will vandalize your vehicle if you have Ontario plates ?!?!?

- Are you aloud to bring fish over the border ? Were talking 1 not 5 !!

Thanks in advance for the help ...Hopefully this one doesn't get ugly as I am sure there are a few river fisherman that have the same questions.

Dave

Hey Guys

I am planning a trip down to Olcott NY to fish 18 Mile in the next month. I have never been down there and had a few question I was hoping you guys could help me out with .... FYI I have been for warned of the snaggers all over that creek, so no need to bash the creek anymore than I have already heard...

-Where do I get a fishing liscence to fish NY ? any links online ?

- Where is the best location to park for access to the better pools ? I am only aware of Burt dam ? any other stretches worth trying out down below the dam section ?

- What do you tell the officer at the border ? "Fishing for the day" or will this get me a headache and the rubber glove, LOL ?

- Are the horror stories of the locals in NY vandalizing vehicles with Ontario plates true ? I have heard that its best to rent a car at the border so you don't have to park your car near the river as the locals will vandalize your vehicle if you have Ontario plates ?!?!?

- Are you aloud to bring fish over the border ? Were talking 1 not 5 !!

Thanks in advance for the help ...Hopefully this one doesn't get ugly as I am sure there are a few river fisherman that have the same questions.

Dave

Dave, when you're on Rt.18 approaching Olcott take your first left just before the bridge going over the river.

The Slippery Sinker tackle shop is just down the road on your right. They're open at 5am and sell lisences.

Pretty much the only place to park is at the Burt dam parking lot.

You can access some of the slower froggy water between the bridge in town and the dam by throwing a canoe or small tinny in.

Just tell the border guard you're fishing. They hear it a million times it's no big deal at all.

I've been fishing U.S. trib's for many years now and have never seen any vandalism. Nothing to worry about there, I think that's a prime example of an "urban legend".

Yes you can bring fish back no problem.

Finally, I know you said you've already been warned about 18 Mile.....but you've picked potentially the worst U.S. trib to try your luck on.

DO NOT fish it on a weekend, you'll be sorry.

Even weekdays are brutal, but at least somewhat manageable.

If you go be prepared for a circus and good luck!

Edited by solopaddler

Buy a New York State map and go for a drive.Some things you just have to find out on your own.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I have been looking at maps and searching different tribs also have been looking for stocking charts. I am just looking for a little push to get me in the right direction. Not everyone likes to share spots but helping someone with the basics doesn’t hurt. Take care maybe someone else will tune in and help out.

Please let’s not start a war. Sorry for the confusion msp please just avoid this post it is not meant to go down hill. If the person posting has helped others out before it normal for others to help out and to state read a map is not very helpful.

We have cleared things up right msp everything is ok there are no hard feelings. Msp Was in my shoes once and understands.

Edited by silvio

I have to agree with some of the comments about Burt, being a local, I will not even think about fishing Lake Ontario tribs until mid to late November. Just to many yahoo's. There is only one area to park at Burt which is the town parking lot, I think they still charge a buck per person to park. Do not park up on the main road, you will be ticketed. Some other creeks for you to consider as options, traveleling east towards Rochestor you have Keg, Johnson's and of course Oak Orchard.

Good luck,

Tom

I work not far from the "dirt" and a buddy of mine and I went down on lunch to see the circus. It didnt disappoint. This pic is from about an hour ago. It wasnt too bad down there as far as crowds, in comparison to a saturday morning. Take this pic and add two guys in between each one you see, thats a saturday morning on a sllow day. I didnt get the east shore just to the left in teh photo, but it was lined up double what you see on the opposite shore. And yes, the guys on the shore not shown....... lob right out to the feet of the guys you see wading in the middle lol. It gets pretty insane. Its normally 2 bucks to park but i told the lady i had no gear and was just going for a walk and she let me in free of charge. This lot is the only access besides , as solo said, throwing a canoe in at the harbour and paddling up in the slack water, as that is all you will find until you get to the tressle at Burt. Pond water. Not bad pike water in the summer.

In short, theres many other places to spend your time down here this time of year, but if you dont want to hunt around,.....stick to some of these more popular areas, just wait till december when all the fair weather anglers are keeping warm inside.

1015081205.jpg

I work not far from the "dirt" and a buddy of mine and I went down on lunch to see the circus. It didnt disappoint. This pic is from about an hour ago. It wasnt too bad down there as far as crowds, in comparison to a saturday morning. Take this pic and add two guys in between each one you see, thats a saturday morning on a sllow day. I didnt get the east shore just to the left in teh photo, but it was lined up double what you see on the opposite shore. And yes, the guys on the shore not shown....... lob right out to the feet of the guys you see wading in the middle lol. It gets pretty insane. Its normally 2 bucks to park but i told the lady i had no gear and was just going for a walk and she let me in free of charge. This lot is the only access besides , as solo said, throwing a canoe in at the harbour and paddling up in the slack water, as that is all you will find until you get to the tressle at Burt. Pond water. Not bad pike water in the summer.

In short, theres many other places to spend your time down here this time of year, but if you dont want to hunt around,.....stick to some of these more popular areas, just wait till december when all the fair weather anglers are keeping warm inside.

1015081205.jpg

I remember that zoo!!! :lol:

Not to mention the ghetto in Rochester!!! Nothing like having to negotiate the Crack HO's to get from the parking lot to the river!!!! :w00t:

I don't miss it at all.

Not to mention the ghetto in Rochester!!! Nothing like having to negotiate the Crack HO's to get from the parking lot to the river!!!! :w00t:

I don't miss it at all.

The funny thing is that's not an exaggeration LOL!

But c'mon buddy don't lie, you miss it.

Are you telling me that if you could teleport yourself to the ghetto from your igloo in the north pole when you're jonesing for chrome you wouldn't do it? :D

The funny thing is that's not an exaggeration LOL!

But c'mon buddy don't lie, you miss it.

Are you telling me that if you could teleport yourself to the ghetto from your igloo in the north pole when you're jonesing for chrome you wouldn't do it? :D

If i could teleport myself any where it would be places like The Vedder, Bulkley and Situk to name a few. The Ghetto or Dirt would not be on my list!!!! :lol:

If i could teleport myself any where it would be places like The Vedder, Bulkley and Situk to name a few. The Ghetto or Dirt would not be on my list!!!! :lol:

I knew you were going to say that, I knew it!! LOL!

Okay let's say the ghetto was the only place that you could teleport yourself to.

You'd do it, c'mon admit it you freakin' chrome deprived eskimo! :D