The Editor, The Trucker and the Butcher do LPB

Rich

Earlier in the week Ryan (The Urban Fisherman) and I had planned to hook up and hit some tribs. Gave him a call yesterday afternoon before going to the movies to see if we were still on. When we got in the door the phone rings with a number I don't recognize, so I answer it.. and it's Slowpoke telling me he already spoke to Ryan and now they want to know if I want to hit Lake St Clair. Unfortunately I don't have a vehicle so I have to decline. So plan B was to hit Long Point bay for pike. So after playing middle man and calling back and forth between Ryan and Brian we had our plains laid out. Ryan asked if I'd have any trouble waking up early and I said psshhhh no problem, I get up for work that early everyday.

So after sleeping in Ryan came to the door literally 20 seconds after I had just changed my pants in front of the kitchen window, but he didn't say anything so either he didn't see it OR he'll have some interesting pics to add to this report. LOL

Ryan and I headed to Port Rowan to meet up with Slowpoke after running to get gas & timmies. I'll let Ryan tell the funny gas story.

Anyway we got there about 5 minutes before Slowpoke so I grabbed my pike rod out of the truck and began casting in the channel near the boat ramp. By the time Slowpoke rolled in I had caught my first fish of the day, a feisty little largemouth with too much ambition.

DSC00046.jpg

After saying our hellos and unloading the boat we were off to find the weedlines and begin the pike excursion. It was a chilly morning but the water was just perfect, not too much chop.

We found a weedline and began drifting, and casting... and casting... and casting. Some days LPB pike resemble musky as the fish of 10,000 casts. On my 10,000th cast I finally had a hit, a little guy which I fought to boatside and gave the long distance release. Those guys were saying 1-0 but I didn't count that as a catch.

We trolled a bit around the perch boats, then began casting again. Didn't take long near the perchers and the black/yellow 1.5oz spinnerbait nailed the first landed pike of the day. A hammer handle but still a fish. UF has a pic of that fish.

Poor Ryan gave it his best but had to go home empty handed as he had to pack in early. We dropped him off on shore about 11am and headed back out.

This time I said "well since the flats aren't too hot let's chase some fish in the shallows" figuring at least that way we might get some exciting strikes. We headed to the south channel to find crystal clear water and lots of moss on bottom. We were in about 5 feet of water but it looked more like 2 because the moss was so high.

I kept tossing the spinnerbait and Slowpoke was switching between baits trying to find something they liked. Suddenly out of nowhere from a pocket in the weeds came a BOOM!!! Big fish! Didn't connect with the bait though. I was wondering if it was a mid-size musky or a big pike when he hit AGAIN, and once AGAIN didn't connect! But at least the second time I got a better look and it was indeed a nice pike. Probably high 30 inch range and thick too.

We kept pounding this shallow weed flat and the water flattened. For a good hour there it was just BEAUTIFUL for an October day. Wow from that point on it didn't matter if we caught anything else. That weather coupled with crystal clear water, you don't get many days like that in October. So I was cruising along with Slowpoke's bow mount when I saw what looked like a log sticking out of the moss. I thought "that's odd, not too many logs on LPB" when I saw it jut forward a bit. HOLY CRAP IT'S A FREAKIN' HUGE MUSKY!! For some reason I had only a bass rod with a buzzbait in my hand when I saw it so I tossed it and just kinda let it drop. The musky spooked. I got a really good look at her and Slowpoke even marked the spot on GPS. This fish was just huge, it rivalled the ones I've seen from the St Lawrence. It was an easy 50" with an amazing girth. It was perhaps the biggest fish I've ever seen on Long Point Bay, of any kind. It's really too bad she wouldn't bite.. I wish I had a musky rod in my hands when I saw her.

We pounded that area to death and maybe 15 minutes later I get a good smack. Fish on! My first thought was the musky returned, but no it was just a half decent 31 inch pike. After seeing the musky it seemed like a tiny little brat, but Slowpoke said it was a respectable fish.

DSC00048-1.jpg

Beauty colors. Healthy fish for sure.

Slowpoke was getting frustrated. Not at the lack of fish, but at his reel constantly backlashing. Actually, we all had problems with backlash today. I had to take off about 20 feet from my musky reel because a huge knot suddenly appeared in the line. Never had that happen with braid.

Anyway to save a long story, I kept casting the spinnerbait and was into another fish. This one hit like a ton of bricks and fought harder than the pike, but bulldogged. Turns out it was just a decent LPB largemouth.

DSC00050-1.jpg

After this we drifted to some slightly deeper weeds as the wind picked up out of the south and I had a mid-30 inch MUSKY smack the spinnerbait on the surface. Which I yet again missed but clearly saw. I don't know what's with me and these muskies. They are there. I raise or hook one every trip to the bay lately, but never ever land one.

Finally as the time limit drew near, Slowpoke asked if we should troll back to shore. I said "sure let's go" (arms were tired and I was hungry) and suddenly had a hit but he missed it. I said "let's go home" as a trigger keyword and BOOM right at boatside a snot rocket annihilated the spinnerbait! Haha, even though it was a little fish, it was the hit of the day for sure.

DSC00052.jpg

From there on out we packed things up and headed for home.

All I can say to Ryan and Brian is THANKS! It was great meeting you Brian and finally fishing with you, and great to see you again Ryan. Thanks for dragging my butt to and from the launch too. I'm sorry you guys didn't get any fish.. I dunno, maybe your baits weren't big enough? :devil:

Next time leave the baby baits at home and bring the musky gear! Fall on the bay we don't play around. lol

Hope to hook up with you guys again in the future as I had a blast, fish or no fish.

DSC00047-1.jpg

Edited by Rich

Looks like a nice day out there Rich.

I've heard a few people getting some musky there this year, I've yet to hook up with one.

We wanted to get out there this weekend but doing a bathroom reno instead.

We got alot done today though and are treating ourselves to Lake St. Clair tomorrow instead :D

Great report Rich. Way to go.

You have lost a ton of weight bud. Lookin good :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

I think you're right Jo...

Jared has Subway

Rich has the Filthwich

For a moment I thought this was my planer board mast... until he moved

IMG00160.jpg

A couple more pictures...

IMG00161.jpg

IMG00164.jpg

Great report Rich, I felt like I was right there... re-living the skunk... thanks for that.

I had a great time and look forward to the next outing.

-Brian

So it's 5 a.m. - I haven't been on the water without a video camera in my hand for over a month and a half and I'm slated to pick up Rich in Simcoe just after 6 a.m. I just can't wait to load my rods into the truck, scrape the frost off the winds.....THE FROST?!?!?!?!? what the heck man......well, it could be worse I suppose.....so I go to the back of my truck and...... the damn trunk lock is frozen....so I load my 1 piece rods into the truck through the back door, in the dar, and hop on it. At this point I'm a few minutes behind from all this screwing around, but it's ok, I had planned to leave early in order to pick up a timmies, a luxury to anybody who lives in "Frogmore, Ontario".... It's only then that I pop the key into the ignition to find out that.....I've got NOT FREAKING GAS!!!!! I'm talking bone dry, the light even turns on. This is when I have my flashback to tuesday morning when my mother-in-law comes into my office during work and asks, "Ryan, can borrow you're truck to do some shopping with Averie (my daughter), because I don't have a car seat. Sure I said without hesitation, not thinking that she might leave me high and dry without gas....AGAIN. This wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't live 35 minutes away from the nearest gas station that opens before 7 a.m. Anyways, long story short, I toughed out the ride to Rich's house, practically sweating beads the whole way, worrying that I might run out of gas at any moment, thus ruining our trip. I not only made it to his place, but then to a gas station and eventually to the boat launch in Port Rowan where we met up with Slowpoke for a day on the bay.

Unfortunately, I had to bounce early because my wife's got some SERIOUS "all day sickness" going on from being 2.5 months preggo, but it was still a great time on the water with budds.

Thanks again guys!

Until next time,

UF

ps. when I was getting off the boat at 11 a.m. Rich goes "ok Brian, now I can take you to my good water"..... so moral of the story is that Rich can't be trusted.

Rich's bass before brian even show's up....

gallery_133_237_12645.jpg

Brians Rig.

gallery_133_237_40491.jpg

Captain SlowPoke

gallery_133_237_92054.jpg

Rich Eagerly anticipating the first strike of the morning....

gallery_133_237_69902.jpg

Rich and Brian not so eager anymore! haha

gallery_133_237_90962.jpg

Rich waited until we were on the water to say "so you guys brought musky baits for pike fishing right?"

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/uploads...3_237_57986.jpg