Your new Boat

tinbanger

Seems like a lot of new boats have been purchased over the past couple of years and was wondering if you had a 'do over' what would you change or is everthing perfect ?

Not a wish list but something within your grasp

We bought a 1775 Lund classic ss with 90 hp mer 4 stroke , 5 seats and a galvanized bunk trailer 3 years ago

I would take a serious look at a full windshield over the side console we have.chose the side console for room when the whole family (5) fished which isn't that often .the windshield would be nice on those cool days with a full top !

24v trolling motor instead of the 12 v

Issues

replaced both trim switches ( throttle ,motor) in year 2 and 3 under warrenty

replaced 2 seats as stiching was ripping at the vinyl under warrenty

speedo has never worked

Other than that quite happy with the 90 hp 4 stroke merc and the boat overall

May help some of those who may be looking .

TB

I would have held back 30 grand and they'd never have seen it to date. In August I fixed my power steering issue myself, after getting nowhere with either Lund or Mercury since last fall as to what wiring could possible cause the problems I was having. I dug into it myself and 4 hours later we're good! Add that to all the other issues at delivery and I'm still red assed with a quarter on the dresser.

That said... I wouldn't trade mine for anything, just too comfortable of a machine. Especially now that I had a drop curtain made to keep my sweetheart warm and dry.

I would have held back 30 grand and they'd never have seen it to date. In August I fixed my power steering issue myself, after getting nowhere with either Lund or Mercury since last fall as to what wiring could possible cause the problems I was having. I dug into it myself and 4 hours later we're good! Add that to all the other issues at delivery and I'm still red assed with a quarter on the dresser.

That said... I wouldn't trade mine for anything, just too comfortable of a machine. Especially now that I had a drop curtain made to keep my sweetheart warm and dry.

Ahhh there's the Wayne we have come to love

Welcome back bud!

PS Sorry to step on this thread because it really doesn't have anything to do with what was asked

Edited by Whopper

Great topic!

I have been extremely pleased with my purchase to date.

The dealership (Proctor in Simcoe) has been great, although the store suffered a major loss when Tom passed away. Nothing compared to the family’s loss of course, but that kind of knowledge is next to impossible to replace.

I am doing my level best to stave off “foot-itis” and also to keep in mind that I am essentially a fair weather fisherman. That is to say that I am still happy with the side console and not having a tent to erect over the boat. It also means that I will likely skip the boat show this year to resist temptation.

If I had to critique my boat slightly it would be as follows:

• Crestliner’s website sucks (it makes you use the dealer instead of being able to talk to them with questions).

• The slide in mooring cover is a brilliant design (almost no snaps), but the plastic catches do wear the paint.

• There are a couple of small quality issues with the build. You have to look to see them, but they are there (for example, the bloody Crestliner logo is slightly crooked on the dash!).

I also try to keep in mind that my boat is an entry level package boat. I am fine with the 45 lb. 12 volt. It pulls great and lasts as long as I’ve ever needed (I did install an on-board charger, after market). The fish finder (Lowrance X50 DS) works well enough I guess, or at least until I see something that looks better to me.

Being new to boat ownership has been a fantastic experience. There is no better feeling than sitting in your own boat fishing. It is still new enough that the catching of fish is almost a pleasant side benefit. I know that will ring as strange on this board, but that’s still how it is.

Essentially, I am thrilled.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

we where totally happy with our boat package....mind you I dinged myself with a few upgrades,(motor,cover,extra seat,load guides and trailer jack) but in essence I ended up with the boat I wanted in the end because I picked the extras at the time. Most of my fishin is on the smaller water so the "2 foot syndrome" was not the issue, I can still pick my days and get out on the big water like Erie...and there is always a plan B if the lake is a write off, I do loads of fishing on the Niagara River, and it's a great boat for that. It was what my family could afford at the time, and after 5 years still great, still in excellent shape, and hasn't put an extra dime out of my wallet for repairs or anything, so I haven't had to deal with any issues from the dealership ect...knock on wood.

I've been very happy with my Legend over the past 7 years. If anything I wish it had a bigger livewell, say 40" long. I didn't do the motor upgrade which has saved a lot of $ in fuel. Besides, I'm not in a hurry on the water.

The son doesn't like the boat. Too small, too slow, not a bass boat, not a big name :blahblah1: Sorry for his luck

I'm happy with my new boat. The dealer is hard to deal with so I fixed a couple minor issues myself. The 50HP 4 stroke is amazing and the wireless motorguide is great.

I always think about a bigger boat but I don't regret buying what I did.it is an 08 legend 16 extreme

I have no regrets finally bought the boat I always wanted I was not sure down sizing from an 18ft 6inch boat to 16 ft 3.

But the beam is much wider 7ft much higher sides .Went from 73 inches wide to 84 inches.

My cousin had a Lund 1660 Classic I took it for a spin and loved it so I went and bought one this spring.

I took the 50hp Honda from my 18 ft Lund SSV the new boat is twice the weight a few miles per hour slower but

new IPS hull technology saves me even more on fuel this hull has very little resistance.

Lunds sportrac rod holder system is amazing you can move your rod holders anywhere along the gunwales without ever drilling holes in your boat.

After going from a bare bones aluminium to a boat with full storage I can't believe the time saved at the launch almost everything I need is in the boat.Gone are the days loading up the big tinny.

I regret not going maximum horsepower which would be 60hp instead of my current 50hp.

I lose 2 to 3 miles per hour with 3 adults in the boat.I also have a short tiller handle from my old motor

Honda wants $650 to change it :wallbash: way over priced so a 60hp Yamaha may be coming in the near future.

Honda is a great motor but a little slower than the competition a 50hp has 3 cylinders where most 50hp 's have 4 cylinders.

I must say the Honda is one of the most fuel eficient and quietist motors.

I had a happy troller trolling plate when I got the boat on the 50hp.the plate cracked the foot and cost me $300 in repairs so I do regret that

I added a 2hp Honda for trolling with a long foot this does a fine job but I do not like the fact that the muffler is above the water line which makes

for a much noisier motor.Thankfully I took the stereo which drowns out the motor on those boring days of trolling.The added MP3 jack

keeps my daughters out on the water longer because I let them play their choice of music.

This opted for a fishfinder with built in GPS which I truly recomend for more precise trolling speed and I have to admit got me back this summer when I got lost in the fog.

Like Wayne I had issues with Lund.From day one I had a bubble in one of my tires and yes I am still back order for a new tire.I picked up the boat in April.THe boat came with a third free seat and 2 free sportracs when I bought my boat.The dealer gave me the extra seat right away had I waited for Lund I would have waited until late August.The extra seat arrived in August along with the 2 extra sportracs and their crappy rod holder and useless cup holder .Dealer gave me 2 nice scotty rod holders in advance .Another stupid thing from Lund

you pay thousands of dollars for a boat and it comes with one key for the lockable rod storage.I think they could have spent 50 cents more to give me an extra key.

Like Others my 55lbs electric motor does a fine job but once you are in the thick slop it is useless I would go bigger

next time 24 volt and over 70lbs of thrust.The option I took for the built in transducer in the motor was worth it as well as the autopilot.

I am dissapointed with some of the storage as some compartments will get wet inside .Again Lund should make water proof storage.

My life jackets and rain gear are now stored in giant Zip Lock bags.

Another option I took for $100 is air ride suspention seats.Absolutely worth every penny.My passengers no longer feel the pounding in their back

but enjoy a smoother more comfortable ride.

I chose to stay with a tiller because I mostly troll for Walleye I have had a boat before with a steering wheel and just don't feel comfortable when trolling.

So things I may consider in the future is an upgrade to 60hp and a roof for those hot days.

Yes I have some issues with Lunds slow service but I would buy another time and time again

This is my second and to me a well made machine when waves become high.

IMG_0478JPGSSV18.jpg

This was my first Lund a good solid boat but I needed the bells and whistles.

IMG_0867JPGoldboat.jpg

This was my first boat oh like someone said the blood on the carpet :stretcher:

IMG_1063_1.jpg

100_0117_1.jpg

IMG_1093_1.jpg

MTP

Not regretting much here....I am very happy with the boat and motor. It is what I could afford and tow. I bought a 16' Lund SSV with 40HP motor, it came with drop in floors and a bunk trailer.

I have had absolutely no need for the 40HP....in fact I cannot use the full power of it unless I add 500lbs to my boat.

I wish I had something better than a Honda civic to tow it....that would have allowed me to buy a wider boat like Mike the Pike.

The boat is really comfortable with the floors in it.

The motor makes this low whining sound in neutral (no its no the LU)....its normal 4 stroke noise, belts and such....

Things I did right?:

4 stroke

floors

split middle seat

waited for the best design that would suit my needs.

bought good rod holders

bought the right anchor

kept it affordable

Things wrong?

I think I want a steel gas tank

bought bumpers that don't cut it all the time.

Did not get to fish on other boats to find out the best way to set up rod holders, storage etc.

forrest

Not regretting much here....I am very happy with the boat and motor. It is what I could afford and tow. I bought a 16' Lund SSV with 40HP motor, it came with drop in floors and a bunk trailer.

I have had absolutely no need for the 40HP....in fact I cannot use the full power of it unless I add 500lbs to my boat.

I wish I had something better than a Honda civic to tow it....that would have allowed me to buy a wider boat like Mike the Pike.

The boat is really comfortable with the floors in it.

The motor makes this low whining sound in neutral (no its no the LU)....its normal 4 stroke noise, belts and such....

Things I did right?:

4 stroke

floors

split middle seat

waited for the best design that would suit my needs.

bought good rod holders

bought the right anchor

kept it affordable

Things wrong?

Forest the best set up for the SSV rodholders is to use the salty's absolutely the best.I miss them on my new boat the scotty's are OK but I would

prefer salty's hands down any day.

I think I want a steel gas tank

bought bumpers that don't cut it all the time.

Did not get to fish on other boats to find out the best way to set up rod holders, storage etc.

forrest

Im happy with mine overall, its a 16ft crestliner fishhawk, with the 60hp four stroke and the heavy vynl flooring which i like alot, and even with the 60 it can be a bit slow to plane when all 4 seats in the are filled, so i was happy to get it over the 50.

If i had to do it again and had a bit more cash id get a 17ft or a bit more, cant have too much space, especially with a couple of kids slinging lures..and probably a full winshield, other than that its been a good buy.

Paul.. there's no hype in the IPS Hull praise. It's the quietest/smoothest riding boat I've ever had in my lifetime of boating (since 5 years old).

Issues I've had with Lund pretty much all pertain to their "pre-packaging" and 2007 was their first year to do this. Substandard wiring/fishfinder installation etc. Boat hull Flawless/leakless etc. Definitely some issues with storage holes that are poorly designed in the realm of keeping stuff dry and I had one minor upholstery issue. That said... I did have a 4 page snag sheet at delivery! $(*@%@*%@$

Edited by irishfield

Dang! It must really suck to buy that brand of boat eh?... and for the dealer to treat you like that after you were bragging on him so well after you bought the boat too! :angry:

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to stick with my Tracker... especially since I didn't have any warranty problems at all! :thumbsup_anim:

loser.jpg

Maybe they were trying to tell you something when they gave you the "free" hat?

Edited by GCD

Dealer is still tops Glen. Lund is as useless as ti ts on a bull. The dealer ragged on Lund and Merc all winter to get to the bottom of how things were wired in the power steering so either I could fix it or them in the spring....and got no joy out either of them. It came to the point that Mercury wouldn't come up to work on it so I'd have to go without my boat for a period of time...clean out the gear, remove all the personal belongs etc, leave it at the marina and then have them haul it to Mississauga's Mercury facility... so they could poke around in it trying to find the issue. I had more confidence/peace of mind in doing it myself and not wondering if my boat was being stolen off an industrial site in Mississauga.

Oh and Glen.. yes... I still have my hat! LOL