I get all excied and I screw up the photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillM

I tell ya, I really need to calm down a bit when I get a nice fish :) Took my dad out for brookies today and the first culvert we tried, I nailed a nice one. This fish looked more like an arctic char(ala moosebunks latest trip) then a brookie...I know I know, it's in the char family... I couldn't believe the orange on this fish, it was almost fluorescent, it was so vivid, I just couldn't believe it. In my rush to take a pic and get the fish back into the water, I used a "Portrait" setting instead of "Auto". Unfortunately with the "Portrait" setting, there is a longer exposure.... so you guessed it, the pic of my prized brookie is blurry as hell :) I would assume these are spawning colours?

Ah well, the look on my dads face was priceless when I took a pic of him with it before we released it. I guess I'll just have to go back and try to catch it again.

Sorry for the horrible pic, but here it is anyhow.

markdale2001-1.jpg

At least we can some what make out the colors and it looks like a beauty fish, i get all excited myself especially when i am fishing alone

last year i caught a nice 11 pound Female Rainbow on the credit and got so Excited my digital camera slipped out of my hand and took a swim

in the river i just put the fish back and sucked in the lose of a good picture fish, I managed to get the camera working and this summer it happened

again on the grand and that was it i was stuck buying a new camera.

Edited by PatrickG

Well that just sucks Bill. First of all, yes, they are in spawning mode. The colors on Brook Trout can be unbelievable at this time of year. The camera error? I can't help you there. I used to attempt to shoot manual for fish in the boat shots, but soon learned that I was way better off shooting auto. Most cameras do a great job in auto mode anyways. You simply accidentally selected the wrong mode. I hope that you get another try at such a shot. They don't come too often.

Dan, I should have used my head and looked at the settings before I took the pic, lol... Ah well, I still have a week before the season closes to give it another shot!

Is there a Sept30 close up in TBay as well for trout? I'd still like to get my oldman up there for some brookies.

Speck seasons close at a bunch of different times up here Bill, depending on where you fish. My home waterbody, Lake Nipigon, closes Sept. 15th, whereas the River closes the day after labor day. We have tons of Nipigon strain stocked lakes that are open year round now. These are put and take lakes where no reproduction takes place. Therefore, there's no reason to close the season for reproductive purposes. I've not taken advantage of these lakes. Some day perhaps. A Grouse and Brook Trout outing certainly appeals to me!!

Bill, that's a great shot. I see no mud and bits of grass or twigs on that fish, and that's how it should be!

You're right on the colours though.. They're quite vivid for this time of year! Next time, just take a good deep breath before you snap a pic of a good fish. Kinda like getting ready for a shot at that big bull moose.. It takes steady breathing and a slow pull of the trigger.

Keep em coming.

HD

Nice color!

oh,

isnt it now their spawning season?

They are fall spawners. I believe that the season closes for them at the end of September in that area. They'll probably not start spawning until November sometime in that area. They generally start spawning in mid October in the Northwest of the province. Down there it's got to be at least a couple of weeks later.

Great shot Bill, at least no one will find "the spot" . . . :D :D

Al, that is a great excuse. I'll make sure to use it next time I screw up a picture! It was completely on purpose! lol

HD: Better then the last brookie I took a pic of.. None of the fish I caught today (3 nice ones, 2 smolts) had any of the black parasites that some of the previous fish I've caught had.

I fished a different part of a certain river, and man was the water cold, and the holes deep!(Perfect brookie habitat) I gotta get me some fullsize waders so I can make it back before the 30th :) I filled my hip waders with water today, it sucked.

Edited by BillM

With colors that vivid I'd be inclined to say an Aurora?

Rare stuff if it is?

Brook Trout will become incredibly colorful during the spawn. However, we rarely get to see them at this time. I've been fortunate enough to observe spawning Brook Trout and they practically glow fluorescent orange. Truly a sight to behold.

At least we can some what make out the colors and it looks like a beauty fish, i get all excited myself especially when i am fishing alone

last year i caught a nice 11 pound Female Rainbow on the credit and got so Excited my digital camera slipped out of my hand and took a swim

in the river i just put the fish back and sucked in the lose of a good picture fish, I managed to get the camera working and this summer it happened

again on the grand and that was it i was stuck buying a new camera.

I put one of those neck lanyards on my little digital and let it hang inside the bib of my waders. The only way it gets wet is if I take a tumble in the creek.

Now, if only I could catch some danged fish worth photographing.

JF

Do any of you brookie guys know if there is any chance that there is a few lake run brookies out of lake ontario that ever hit the tribs?

Im thinking no, not possible but I saw a brookie that I thought was WAY too big to be a resident and was farther away from the headwaters than I had ever seen. The fish was probably 14"-16".

and NO, it was not a brown.

by the way, that looks like a BEAUTIFUL brookie.

I used to have a place close-ish to my house to get into them, but my family and the family that owned the land had somewhat of a falling out and the brookies are no longer available to me.

Locked away never to be caught again...

Nice catch there Bill! :thumbsup_anim:

You can still see the vividness of the colours in that picture.

Never caught one like that before, a male in its spawning colours.

Congrats, sounds like a good day, and you caught a few other fish too.

Do any of you brookie guys know if there is any chance that there is a few lake run brookies out of lake ontario that ever hit the tribs?

I've wondered that myself! Maybe a hundred + yrs. ago. they did more regularily, heard the odd one is caught way down on the Ganny still.

Did catch one that was 14 - 16 in. on Georgian Bay trib that was blue- silver in colour that i wondered about. :dunno:

Nice fish Bill,

ehg

ya, it does make sense that they are all residents but I find that resident brookies and thin and 'delicate' looking for lack of a better term.

This fish looked more like a Northern On. lake brookie, thick and solid.

Probably just the king of residents...