Guitar and rock lovers..for you..totally NF

bigfish1965

Two of my favorite guitarist are Alex Lifeson from Rush :canadian:

Here an excerp of the Hemispheres Album, La Villa Strangiato song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQYOfMuPHug

and Kim Mitchell :canadian: from Max Webster which I was fortunate to see live at the Civic Center in Ottawa a while back on his Universal Juvenile tour:

Here a video of the Original Max Webster Reunion - The Party song

Leechman

Hi Leechman,

Just a little Rush trivia if you're a Lifeson fan. In the early eighties, I was working as a dispatcher and learning to fly at Buttonville Airport in Markham Ont. and Alex was also learning to fly so I got to know him fairly well. The song "YYZ" was inspired by the morse code for the same;

Y = -.-- and Z = --..

In those days, we used to have to positively identify the radio beacons or in this case, the Toronto VOR (YYZ VOR) by audio transmision. (Now our instruments are digitally identified). While Alex was airborne during a lesson getting his instrument rating, he was inspired by this identifier as the introduction beat to the song "YYZ":

_ . _ _ _ . _ _ _ _ . .

Next time you listen to the song you'll see what I mean.

This would have been around the time "Permanent Waves" came out. If I remember correctly, he mentions his instructor on the next album "Moving Pictures" where "YYZ" first appeared. I met Geddy a few times but he didn't care for flying. Alex was a wonderfully friendly guy and by the way, that's just his show name...

Peter

Hi Leechman,

Just a little Rush trivia if you're a Lifeson fan. In the early eighties, I was working as a dispatcher and learning to fly at Buttonville Airport in Markham Ont. and Alex was also learning to fly so I got to know him fairly well. The song "YYZ" was inspired by the morse code for the same;

Y = -.-- and Z = --..

In those days, we used to have to positively identify the radio beacons or in this case, the Toronto VOR (YYZ VOR) by audio transmision. (Now our instruments are digitally identified). While Alex was airborne during a lesson getting his instrument rating, he was inspired by this identifier as the introduction beat to the song "YYZ":

_ . _ _ _ . _ _ _ _ . .

Next time you listen to the song you'll see what I mean.

This would have been around the time "Permanent Waves" came out. If I remember correctly, he mentions his instructor on the next album "Moving Pictures" where "YYZ" first appeared. I met Geddy a few times but he didn't care for flying. Alex was a wonderfully friendly guy and by the way, that's just his show name...

Peter

Hi Peter,

That's a very good question but you got me on that one :dunno: Cool that you gotten to know him and met Geddy B)B)

Back in my younger days as a teen, I had a getto blaster that I would bring with me everywhere I went and play the rush songs that I had recorded on tape......aaahhhhhh the good old days B)

Next time I listen to that song, I will pay more attention :thumbsup_anim:

Jacques aka Leechman

Or also Stevie Ray Vaughn, the man could play. Too bad he passed away in the chopper crash.

Why oh why can't we get Jon Bon Jovi on a helicopter..........c'mon get in Jon.....yeah yeah there's a hairdresser in there, really, now get in......

Heh, anybody hear of Funtwo?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

Lol this guy is pretty fun too :D

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Thanks for that Holdfast.......that was an AMAZING video, now THAT..........is a stage show worth paying for. Thats what ya call giving your fans their moneys worth!!!

The show was absolutely phenominal, I doubt in my lifetime anyone will even be able to come close to it and to boot it was the most elaborate stage pink floyd ever produced(even the wall) SONIC AND VISUAL MASTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you know I got this from U-tube which is a copy of either the concert PULSE or the DVD. IF you Like music, 5.1 stereo you must get this DVD. By far my favorite out of my collection. Just awesome sound and theatrics. Probably one of the best Fidelity DVDs out there for your Home Theatre. Id love to see this on Blueray. As far as Im concern What he is holding is David Gimour. He is the Guitar. doesn't need a Jumpsuit, Look like hes in pain or make the feminine rock star poses.

Edited by holdfast