Curing salmon eggs.

idesign

I would suggest voodoo or perhaps one of those dolls you put the spikes in.

LOL...

I thought the same thing, but the pins/spikes just wreck the eggs.

Maybe yell some profanities at it?

Seriously though, check out that link provided by Marko.

Edited by ccmt

Guys i have caught big salmon and inside had lots of eggs.Can some1 tell me easiest way to cure(preserve) it so i can use it next year for trout.Thank you

Ummm you don't want to be waiting until next year to go catch the trout...... You will do much better fishing the tribs with it until from NOW until freeze up. In the spring the best bait to get going is using rainbow spawn closely followed by worms. The fish that come into a river in the spring don't ever see salmon spawn, so they don't seem to like it as much as the fall river bows. The rainbows who follow the salmon up the rivers this fall have quite the feeding frenzy on salmon roe. So use it to get some rainbow skein tie that in daily lots and freeze for the spring and late winter.

I do my brown, rainbow and salmon roe this way. Has always fished well and frozen well. Was using 5 year old brown roe this spring for trout opener.

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup salt

1.5 liters water

add all ingredients and heat water until all is dissolved

Let cool to room temp

Fill airtight containers 3/4 full with roe

Gently pour solution over eggs and add a bit more solution to fully cover

Close lid tighly and freeze.

When thawing avoid refreezing any more than 1-2 times as frost will start forming inside container and damage eggs

simple and it works

The way I did it back in BC was.....

take all the skeins and lay them out on newspaper and sprinkle non-iodized salt on them and ProCure

this will dry them out and you may have to switch the newspaper once or twice depending on how much juice comes out of them

wait until the eggs are the right firmness you prefer, most people like them like gummy worms.....

once they are the right firmness immerse them in Borax and you now can freeze them. Only take out what you need when you go fishing, dont freeze-thaw them repeatedly.

You can also cut them to bait sized pieces before you borax them so its more convienant on the river.

good luck