small ponds for fishing

super dave

I'm trying to locate some small ponds that may hold fish by looking at mapquest satelite images. I've found several that are just off hwys and close to my house but they always have someone residing on them. Is there their pond/property or can anyone access the pond? I can understand if the pond is really tiny and right in the guys backyard but some of the ponds are like small lakes.

I know from experience and sneaking onto farmers fields as a kid, PRIVATE property is PRIVATE property... Common sense dictates to ask permission... Every time I was pleasant and respectful asking the landowner, I was granted permission... Sometimes signing a document stating that the owner is not liable for any harm that may come to those on his or her property...

I would like to know some more about this tho... I have seen some ponds way out in the middle of fields, with no farms or houses in site... Can you you go into a field and fish in a small lake or pond? If there are no signs, (private property) I would guess it would be allowed, no?

Cheers,

Mahs

Cant really throw a blanket on this topic. Each and every body of water im sure you are locating on the images has a different story obviously. May be state land (or crown land up where you guys are) May be privately owned, may have someone sitting on the porch with a salt gun watching for trespassers, may be a family of light hearted older folks that realy dont give a hoot. May be in a guys backyad, could be far off the residence. In any case.....as said, do your research and find out the situation, and always ask if it is private property if you can fish it. And from what ive learned, in my area anyway, ive been told that you do NOT have to post private property......i learned that the hard way from this EXACT situation, i was looking for a good bass pond to take my little nephew, and we found a good one, no posted signs, it was right off a side road, and we were confronted by a VERY angry land owner that didnt want to hear a word of what i had to say. Except that i was on my way off his property. Too bad too because my little nephew was catching some really decent largemouth. He asked if i owned a house, i said yes, he asked if i had a backyard, i said yes, and he said, do you post it, i said no.......but.....but.....and he said, then Bye Bye. This guy was "sick and tired of driving by his land to find people inhabiting it" and "spending so much time and effort and missing out on his dinner because he had to patrol his land constantly" I suggested, in all sympathy, that he posted it, so it was clear and there was no confusion as i left.....and that was honestly because i felt bad that i was trespassing on his land and felt bad that the guy was so inconvenienced. OK, maybe there was a little smart :asshat: in there.

In the past 2 years I got written permissions to 12 ponds and 20 so hunting properties, by just asking the property owner. All they asked in return was not to drive through there crops and only leave foot prints behind.

The thing that put the icing on the cake is to write up a document, giveing you permission for a period of time (I do it a year at a time), stating that if you cause damage, you are fully responsible $$$, and the most important the owner is not liable for anything that happens to you, EVEN death.

This also works great for my hunting properties.

Daniel

Another question. How do the bass get in there? Are they stocked? If so then I would imagine it is private property

Divine intervention :)

I would guess they have most likely been stocked at one point :) Either that or the pond was once a lake/streaem that has dried up.

Another question. How do the bass get in there? Are they stocked? If so then I would imagine it is private property

8 of the 12 pond I fish have been either stocked many years ago or recently. 4 of the ponds were, as mentioned, dried up mini lake and streams.

Daniel

• 2 months later...

I fish a lot of ponds, most flow into Lake Erie and were once just a creek so I imagine that's how most of the fish got in there. Other is usually from illegal stocking.. someone catches something below a dam and tosses it up top or whatever.

As for the private access.. well that depends on the pond. There are plenty around here that have public access or if there are landowners they don't mind. Others if you ask the farmer or whoever they will let you fish it. And others just don't let anyone in.. usually gets ruined by some rowdy people who ask to fish then leave a mess or get drunk, injured, whatever.

We had a pond, more like a lake on the property I grew up on. Bass started showing up out of nowhere. My mother called the mnr and they told us that the bass eggs get stuck on goose feet when they are swimming through the weeds then they fly to the next lake and the eggs wash off when they land. Anyone else hear of this? Anyhow they were not stocked in our lake. They just showed up.

My mother called the mnr and they told us that the bass eggs get stuck on goose feet when they are swimming through the weeds then they fly to the next lake and the eggs wash off when they land. Anyone else hear of this? Anyhow they were not stocked in our lake. They just showed up.

I too have heard of this. More then the feet though even the stuff from the :asshat: can offer eggs so I am told...

Edited by GBW

We had a pond, more like a lake on the property I grew up on. Bass started showing up out of nowhere. My mother called the mnr and they told us that the bass eggs get stuck on goose feet when they are swimming through the weeds then they fly to the next lake and the eggs wash off when they land. Anyone else hear of this? Anyhow they were not stocked in our lake. They just showed up.

Yup, I works with All black bass, and pan fish. The birds can only have the eggs out of the water for a short time( Don't ask me I don't know the time limits), but protective slime around the eggs help.

I know a local pond were the guy that owns the ponds on it are bagging people not to put back Jumbo perch they catch.. He wants to keep it a bass only pond... :wallbash: he's not having much luck <_< Since the ponds just 20 to 100 yards from him are FULL of perch..

Divine intervention :)

I would guess they have most likely been stocked at one point :) Either that or the pond was once a lake/streaem that has dried up.

I have heard that some of these ponds are 'stocked" by waterfowl . . meaning that when they are feeding where fish have spawned some eggs will stick to them and then transported to a new location where they hatch, but the conditions have to be right.