Musky on Lake St. Clair

jjcanoe

Went out on LSC with Slowpoke and my wife's uncle from Holland (not Michigan but the country) on Sunday morning. After loading the gear in the boat and driving to the Hwy I realized I left my phone in my pickup @ home, or so I thought.... After a quick search of my truck turned up empty, we called my phone to listen for the ring and found it...... on the bow of Slowpokes boat. Glad he's such a smooth driver!

We ran through a bit of fog on the way from London to the launch, loaded up the boat and headed for the lake

theo264.jpg

theo262.jpg

Got some good tips from Mr.Eh who had already boated one by the time we got out to the lake and set up. The first time a rod went we passed it to Theo, who does a lot of sea fishing back home in Holland, Ireland, and Norway, and is used to a bit bigger of a boat, Slowpoke lost his clip-on sunglasses on the landing in some of the confusion. A 48"er was netted and released after a few quick photos

theo272.jpg

theo271.jpg

Next up was my turn on the rod

theo275.jpg

My PB musky was 40"

theo279.jpg

Finally the captain gets a turn

theo281.jpg

Nice one just shy of 40" (It's a musky not a guitar! :D )

theo283.jpg

Next up we lost one that snapped the 30lb powerpro mainline, would have liked to seen that one!

I ended the day with a 37"er

theo287.jpg

4 for 5 is a great day musky fishing. Just about everything we put out got us fish 12" jakes, woodies, bucktails etc. We ran everything with no weight since we saw lots of fish up on the surface chasing food around.

Special thanks to Slowpoke for making the day happen

theo291.jpg

and to Mr.Eh who helped us out on location and baits

theo288.jpg

jjcanoe

looks like a fantastic day and congratulations.

but..

30lb is for bass.

80lb flouro leaders + 30lb main sounded good to me we were on St. Clair not Lac seul!

I only use 15lb braid for bass and never had a prob in the heaviest slop.

Never musky fished before and I trusted what "Captain" Slowpoke gave us to use. No regrets

jjcanoe

80lb flouro leaders + 30lb main sounded good to me we were on St. Clair not Lac seul!

I only use 15lb braid for bass and never had a prob in the heaviest slop.

Never musky fished before and I trusted what "Captain" Slowpoke gave us to use. No regrets

jjcanoe

I guess it's a lesson learned. :thumbsup_anim:

Had a great time out there and it's always a thrill to see someone get their first or personal best!

I have 50lb mainline on my muskie trolling rods but I had to equip 3 people. I had to use my salmon reels for 4 of the rods. When the rods fired for fish 1,2&3 I grabbed the rods, thumbed the spools, set the hook an set the drag. On fish 4, the breakoff, Theo grabbed the rod. He naturally reels left handed and had the rod in his right hand reaching over the reel to adjust the drag with his left and.... snap. It may have been tightened to quickly or, what Mike suggested, a "death roll". Sometimes when muskies hit, they can roll themselves up the 48" leader into the mainline and 200lb braid wouldn't help if it was in their teeth. I've landed several 30+lb fish on 30lb PowerPro without any problem and in fact, I wish my 46"er today came on that reel instead of blowing up my 50lb linecounter!

-Brian