Bass Pro

cranks bait

BPS seems to have such low regard for the Canadian shopper in the first place, the web site and printed catalogs are focused on US customers and all pricing is in US funds. If you notice in the latest BPS "Toronto" flyer the tailgate sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the US and district of columbia. So we should shop at BPS why?

Why are so many people on this board so intent on taking a shot at BPS all the time? BPS does support Canadians by employing more of them than all of the tackle stores in Canada combined. They also donate more to local fishing and conservation clubs than anyone.

To say that they have the same selection as Le Baron's is ludicrous. It's not even close. Le Barons does have better pricing on some things but has no where near the store, selection, employees, tank, seminars or bills to pay. Let's try to compare apples to apples here.

As for BPS.. I have never seen another store get more people interested in fishing than BPS. There are more and more people enjoying this great sport because of the look of the store and the ease of it all. This is not to bash any other store because I have friends who own fantastic stores like Fishing World, Angling Outfitters, Angling Specialties and Gagnon's and they all do a great job. They will also reap the rewards of newbies being introduced into the sport by BPS.

The sheer fact that BPS doesn't rock bottom their prices like Walmart does should speak volumes of their integrity. They easily have better buying power than anyone else but still choose not to try and eliminate the competition by trying to starve everyone else. BPS also has supported quite a few individuals from this board and have never expected anything in return. I think they have been an asset to this industry and I am very grateful they are around.

If you get the chance, go see the store. It is incredible. My jaw dropped by the amount of taxidermy and the sheer size of it all. It is a work of art.

Regards

JP

You should visit a Bass Pro Shop at least once in your lifetime just for the experience...try to make it on a visit to Florida...

Same could be said for Cabela's I guess...

I get to go to Vaughan once in a while as our family doctor is still in Richmond Hill and that is only a twenty minute drive further...no way would I drive the 2 1/2 hours to BPS only...Hell, I don't drive to Lindsay or P'boro unless it is for several items at today's gas prices...

Like I said it is an experience...

Why are so many people on this board so intent on taking a shot at BPS all the time? BPS does support Canadians by employing more of them than all of the tackle stores in Canada combined. They also donate more to local fishing and conservation clubs than anyone.

To say that they have the same selection as Le Baron's is ludicrous. It's not even close. Le Barons does have better pricing on some things but has no where near the store, selection, employees, tank, seminars or bills to pay. Let's try to compare apples to apples here.

As for BPS.. I have never seen another store get more people interested in fishing than BPS. There are more and more people enjoying this great sport because of the look of the store and the ease of it all. This is not to bash any other store because I have friends who own fantastic stores like Fishing World, Angling Outfitters, Angling Specialties and Gagnon's and they all do a great job. They will also reap the rewards of newbies being introduced into the sport by BPS.

The sheer fact that BPS doesn't rock bottom their prices like Walmart does should speak volumes of their integrity. They easily have better buying power than anyone else but still choose not to try and eliminate the competition by trying to starve everyone else. BPS also has supported quite a few individuals from this board and have never expected anything in return. I think they have been an asset to this industry and I am very grateful they are around.

If you get the chance, go see the store. It is incredible. My jaw dropped by the amount of taxidermy and the sheer size of it all. It is a work of art.

Regards

JP

People are allowed to voice their opinion besides most business owners or corporations take such criticism in a constructive way to improve their service and customer relations do they not? When more than a few consumers voice negative opinions then it's time to take notice and deal with it. While no business is perfect the successful ones do pay attention to the details of their customers. Enough said?

Guest Johnny Bass

To me BPS is like the Fisherman's disney world. Its like the Spring fishing show that is open all year round. Lots to see. And it has a big tank filled with some really nice fish.

The prices are competitive. Seeing that the rent there is crazy. But when they have sales, there are some major savings.

Its close to my house(10-15 minutes) and watched it being built, and visit it very often.

The only complaint I have is that sometimes they are low on quite a bit of stock. Apparently, the minute they come in they are sold out again. You'd think they'd learn and buy more, but I guess they work on a budget like everyone else.

I'm not sure I would drive 4 hours to see the store, but if I was ever in the area, I would definitely stop buy. When I was in Windsor years ago, I just had to drive to Auburn hills Michigan and take a gander and I was really glad I did.

Regards

JP

Sorry, I was the one saying the selection is comparable. I should've worded it better. They comparable for the things I buy. I know both stores and catalogues inside out, and for the items I buy, they're comparable. My perspective's a bit selfish then, and I admit BPS has more distinct items than Le Baron, but those extra stuff are things I tend not to be interested in.

I'm not sure that their high prices mean they have "integrity". The fishing retail business definitely has traits of an oligopoly, and I suspect BPS is playing a smart game of differentiating themselves with their big box/fish tank/etc experience, and using this to capture more of the consumer surplus.

I am loyal to no store. I pick what I want, and find the best price. If I knowing pay more for the exact same item at one store, this goes against the "law of one price" and is inefficient to me. By knowing paying more for the exact same price, this implies some people might get some utility out of shopping at a particular store, for whatever reason, and are willing to pay for this utility. Like I said, I can get all the experience I want out of the fish tank, the decor, or whatever, without having to pay a cent. I'd buy my tackle in an alley if it was cheaper. Like most people, I work hard for my money, and I'd rather not leave any of it "on the table".

I'm hurting for a week or two of fishing at my favorite fishing hole in NW Ontario. It's a little under 1500 miles one way. And double that figure for the round trip. I've been home 26 days from my last fishing trip to the same spot. Using the logic that's being spread on this thread I could make it a really complicated decision and bring all sorts of opinions into the mix. To do that would be ridiculous.

I drove in to vaughn mills from North bay a couple weeks back, and if you love to fish you gotta go to bps at least once. There was nothing i had ever seen or heard of that wasn't there, and about a million things that i hadn't seen, i didnt spend much, but it was worth the trip just to walk around it imo. We didnt go specifically for bps, my wife wanted to go shopping, and the mall has alot of stores for the ladies as well.

I like the small biz as well and I do support my local but I have been to BPS 6 times this summer and I always buy something. They have specialty stuff that you often can't find elsewhere (eg. tungston drop shot weights etc.). Best fishing store in these parts for sure.

I would definately say it is well worth the drive, except the Toronto traffic. I'm an hour away and I make the trip at least 10 times a year! Good thing I'm rich. You'll be like a kid in a candy store. :w00t: The mall is nice too but I don't usually go anywhere else except Bass Pro. Be prepared to stay awhile and have lots o' cash. Bababooey!

I do most of my fishing tackle shopping at smaller places, Fishing World, JB's, angling Outfitters, mainly because I know them, they have become my freinds, I like to support smaller Canadian stores, however I concur with JP on the side of Bass Pro- just the huge high-profile place it is draws people to fishing that would otherwise never go into a tackle store, thats what we need in Canada, before we had a store in Vaughn my wife and I drove to Auburn Michigan, it was a cool experience, as well as a nice getaway for us both, as far as the Vaugn store, I really enjoy going in to just clear my mind and talk to enployees who have become my freinds, my kids love it there also, while I dont buy a lot of tackle anymore, I find they hve really good clothing , marine , shoes etc.. that I buy, I believe that Bps is drawing more first-time anglers into our sport which is good, this will also benefit our smaller stores in the long run.So don't go there thinking that you will save a ton of money, but go for the experience.

Edited by Mark Kulik

Bring your wallet.. I can't seem to go in there and leave empty handed :)

Bill

Stop it your killing me man. Want to buy another reel? LOL

I have the Avid 10 1/2 Ft casting rod on order, mating up to a Calcutta 200GTB :whistling:

Jose

Edited by jchau53

Actually I did walk out of BPS and in fact le Baron this year after finding they did not have the items I wanted in fact that would have been a rather large purchase.

I wonder if Cabela's will decide to set up a store here, looking through their online catalogs today and they have quite the selection