New Braided Lines for 2009

Garry2Rs

There are a whole bunch of new braided lines coming for 2009.

Spiderwire will introduce a new Camouflage version of their Stealth Braid.

picpurefishinglinespre09f.jpg

The line has I think four different shades of brown...

picpurefishinglinespre09e.jpg

There will also be Stealth RED...

picpurefishinglinespre09h.jpg

Very bright!

picpurefishinglinespre09g.jpg

Then there's something called Spiderwire EZ Braid.

It's supposed to be 2 or 3 three times thinner than mono of the same pound test and it's coated for smoother casting...

picpurefishinglinespre09j.jpg

picpurefishinglinespre09i.jpg

Stren has a new braid called Sonic.

picpurefishinglinespre09n.jpg

picpurefishinglinespre09m.jpg

It features a new and unique finish called GlideCoat Technology developed by Stren. They say that this GlideCoat treatment provides a finish to the fibers that lasts longer and holds color better. It sounds as if the coating helps form a stronger bond to the line material.

The one I'm waiting to see is the new Fireline Braid.

picpurefishinglinespre09c.jpg

picpurefishinglinespre09b.jpg

This new braided Fireline comes in two forms, regular and what they call Tracer...The Tracer line is dual colored, alternating every 30 inches between a high visibility chartreuse/green and low visibility dark green.

Braided Fireline is also supposed to be rounder, smoother and stronger.

I'm hoping to find it in Bass Pro or Cabela's when I go south in a couple of months.

If it's not available in October, I'm sure it will be in the Xmas catalogues, so I'll be able to let you know what it is like to fish with before next Spring.

Garry2rs

Theses lines look like there from a fashion show to many bright colors there just for guys who want to be noticed. These lines defiantly will catch more anglers then fish so be smart and dont get caught.

Edited by silvio

I too am a Power-pro fan. In the past, I have also had good luck with Fireline and want to see what their braided version is like. I tried the Spiderwire Invisabraid this year. It seems to have weak spots because I have had it break in the middle on a cast or when when pulling a hook off of a snag etc. I returned the first spool...the replacement spool is better, but has the the same problem.

I don't recall having problems with the same companies Stealth brand...

This year I also have been using red PP for Senkos, it's easier for me to see on the water. I will try the Fireline Tracer for the same baits for the same reason, and to evaluate the braided version of Fireline.

These new lines are all coated in some fashion, so they are smoother through the line guides, cast farther and hold their colour better. Since these lines seldom need replacing and really don't wear out, I suspect the manufacturers are hoping we will start replacing the line when the colour starts to fade...grin.

I too am a Power-pro fan. In the past, I have also had good luck with Fireline and want to see what their braided version is like. I tried the Spiderwire Invisabraid this year. It seems to have weak spots because I have had it break in the middle on a cast or when when pulling a hook off of a snag etc. I returned the first spool...the replacement spool is better, but has the the same problem.

I don't recall having problems with the same companies Stealth brand...

This year I also have been using red PP for Senkos, it's easier for me to see on the water. I will try the Fireline Tracer for the same baits for the same reason, and to evaluate the braided version of Fireline.

These new lines are all coated in some fashion, so they are smoother through the line guides, cast farther and hold their colour better. Since these lines seldom need replacing and really don't wear out, I suspect the manufacturers are hoping we will start replacing the line when the colour starts to fade...grin.

Hey Garry! Thanks for posting that. The camo line looks cool. Maybe MuskyBill will try it out!

During the 06 off season, I picked up a Quantum Cabo CBC30 lo profile baitcaster to use on my musky jerkbait rod. I was just going to use Power Pro, because I have had great success with it. I use it on all my reels, from Calcutta 250's and 400's, Curado 200, Symetre 2500 and have never had any issues.

Anywho, on the recommendation of a friend, I tried out the Spiderwire Stealth, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with it! Nice and strong, and it seems to have a bit of an oval shape, which seems to make it reel onto the spool nicer. I'd recommend it, and I would use it again!

My 2 cents

Mike

.....Remember when all fishin lines (monofilaments) were designed with invisibility in mind....LOL

You know Garry I saw on the net somewhere that Power Pro now offers downrigger line. I'm thinking it'll be a fantastic replacement for braided wire.

.....Remember when all fishin lines (monofilaments) were designed with invisibility in mind....LOL

You know Garry I saw on the net somewhere that Power Pro now offers downrigger line. I'm thinking it'll be a fantastic replacement for braided wire.

On the topic of invisibility, i thought i would share my experiment from last week, i think there's something the fluoro. hahah. I shore fished most of last week because in some cases it was outproducing trolling...and a lot of boats are trolling within casting distance of shore fishermen. Anyways, my story is i think there's something to the line visibility and catch percentage here on the coho's. What' i've noticed is a lot of peple have switched to heavy 30-65# braids because of numerous rock snags. on many days, i was the only one with mono, actually 15# and I had a short 25# fluoro topshot tied on. My catch rate is much higher than people who are beside me doing exactly the same thing. This is in a bunch of maybe 6-10 people, all casting vibrax spinners, same colors, same lure size. I'm even started changing lures every 10-20 minutes after spotting the difference in my hookup rate to rule out lure color as the reason. It didn't matter what color i had on, i was clearly getting more. The only difference is the fluoro before the lure and i'm getting close to 2x the fish of people literally beside me. And it happened last night also, people beside me with heavy mono and braid, me with light mono and a fluoro leader. I had 3 fish in an hour + and nobody else even had one on. People don't wire leader, only a snap swivel and the lure so all the fish see is lure and line.

This was the brand new Trilene fluoro in the gold foil box which i can now say is amazing. I havn'et had a single breakoff even with these big agressive cohos, like i saw with the older more brittle berkley Vanish.

I don' t know of a specific line meant for downriggers but i've used braid on one for a few years. 200# powerpro . It tracks straighter and you don't get the electrostatic hum which is originally why i switched.

Edited by Spiel

Just spooled up for the first time with Tuf Line, after fishing with it for a week as near as I can tell it's the exact same Spectra braid as Power Pro, but 1/3 cheaper.

Thats what I thought as well, until late September hit. Tuf Line holds WAY more water than Power Pro, and in the fall, thats not good at all. When I'm in the front of the boat casting, my partner in the back shouldn't be getting sprayed with water from my line.

I'll stick with PP.

i use a "similar"coated line on my carp rigs... Pline evolution...

it feels gross :( it feels like plastic... but it does last...

i don't think i'll be respooling it though...

i've had it on for 3 years, so it does last...

not sure if this helps anyhow???

i use a "similar"coated line on my carp rigs... Pline evolution...

it feels gross :( it feels like plastic... but it does last...

i don't think i'll be respooling it though...

i've had it on for 3 years, so it does last...

not sure if this helps anyhow???

Hey Goran, think you maybe referring to Fins Evolution opposed to Pline evo? I've had both, but pretty sure Pline Evo came out last year. Fins on the other hand came out around 3 years ago. Fins evo is kinda like the ol Spiderwire Fusion, as Pline evo is a co-poly. They got/had it on sale at FW for $12/spool. Pretty decent line actually, very nice to jig with.