More motor troubles

motv8tr

I spoke to Beans today, and he tells me he took the boat out the other day and was headed for a spot he doesn't get to too often. Apparently he was taking it easy for the first 15 minutes or so, then was able to open it up. Not long after he heard a horn/alarm go off where the throttle is, I think he was increasing the throttle at the time. When he eased back on the throttle the alarm stopped, but returned when increasing again. Eventually the alarm stayed on so he shut the motor off for a bit but when he truned the key to restart the alarm went off.

He returned home, using the 4hp kicker that his son helped him put on earlier in the week, thankfully. He tried to start the motor again, but no go, thinking he drained the battery he recharged it and tried again, still no go. When Beans called Cliff, it was suggested that it sounded like the water pump was shot? If that is in fact the problem, Cliff is not able to manage it.

So, the question is, if it is in fact the water pump, any idea of how much it might cost to repair it, and is there such a thing as a mechanic who will at least determine the problem without charging a fortune for that much so I can at least decide how to proceed without emptying the bank acct?

Thanks

Maureen

I said it b4.

Those old motors shoudn't be trusted.

Never mind some guy comin on here and saying those Johsons are 'bullet proof'.

Err on the safe side and either save up for a newer motor, or never venture out too far, cause it will leave you stranded.

As GD says that is probably the overheat alarm. I say probably as you didn't post if it is a constant beeeep or beep-beep-beep.

What engine, year/hp? Not much to changing an impellor, it may look intimidating but rates about 5/10 on dificulty scale. Good how to's on iboats forums.

Post your engine's serial number, I'll see if I have the shop manual in pdf format.

As GD says that is probably the overheat alarm. I say probably as you didn't post if it is a constant beeeep or beep-beep-beep.

What engine, year/hp? Not much to changing an impellor, it may look intimidating but rates about 5/10 on dificulty scale. Good how to's on iboats forums.

Post your engine's serial number, I'll see if I have the shop manual in pdf format.

I think it's a '75 55hp Johnson Zam, mighty nice of you to offer posting that for the Mo! :thumbsup_anim:

Seeing as how I was driving...It was a constant Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...

I'll try to get down to the docks later to see if I can get you the rest of the info...

Stopped by one of the local marinas after carp fishing and they said if it is the water pump/impeller they gave me a ball park figure of $150 for parts plus $95 per hour labour (prob at least 2 hours)...

I haven't the slightest idea if this is fair or not ???

Mo and Beans check out The Marine Doctor TMD very helpful site.

And as far as the durability of the motor, it really doesn’t matter what brand you are running as long as the motor has good compression everything else is an easy fix. There should still be plenty of parts available for you’re 1975 if in fact that is the year, I am currently running a 1973 Evinrude 50 on my boat and it dose well good compression and a good lower gear case I just put on a new starter and solenoid I also replaced the impeller everything else is golden.

I do plan on doing a repower and prefer Mercury but that is just a personal preference akin to preferring Ford over Chevy Etc. I will tell you that with the OMC (Johnson, Evinrude and Bombardier) if you have a problem with the power head you can separate the power head because they have a removable and serviceable head where Mercury’s do not but other than that there isn’t much difference between any outboard the mechanics are the same.

Also where I get my parts it doesn’t appear that you can get an impeller for a 1975 Johnson 50 but you can get the impeller assy. For $75.00 US. And changing the impeller is not that difficult.

Jeff.

Here's an impeller kit I found on E-bay that ships world wide:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Johnson-Evi...4QQcmdZViewItem

$49.95 plus S&H

That $150 for the kit from that mechanic is Bull Beans!!!

Oh!... I quit school in the 3rd grade... 'cause I didn't want to pass my Daddy in the 4th!!!

Edited by GCD

Beans I forgot to mention, when you go to TMD scroll to near the bottom of the page and click on Chronicles of TMD there are several videos that will help you out. And TMD is a marine tech, mechanic, he is also Canadian by the way.

I am new to marine engines but have gained a wealth of knowledge from his site, if you have a degree in accounting you surely can follow direction well so this although intimidating the first time around will not be terribly difficult.

The group there is very helpful and polite to, and usually you will get a quick informative answer.

Jeff.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, the motor is a '76 55HP Johnson, and I have the origional manual for it, but thanks for the offer Zamboni. I'll get the number for a mechanic in my neck of the woods that I've heard good things about and see what he'll charge.

Maureen

My dad had the same thing happening to him when he ran a 130 on the bass boat. Throttle up, BEEEEEEEPPPPP..

Turned out to be weeds in the impeller. luckily (?) or so he says the next week he ruined the motor on a rock coming out of the upper Niagara and upgraded to a 150.

Moe, I'll gladly do it for you if you get the parts, just not right now. I'm currently working 7 days a week 10+ hours a day as it is and I've got about 3 weeks of work ahead of me and it just keeps coming (I'm not complaining) things should start to slow down a bit in the next few weeks so hopfully I can get caught up a bit.

I am trying to hire someone to help me but good help is hard to find. If I can find someone in the next week or so, I might be able to fit you in sooner.

I am trying to hire someone to help me but good help is hard to find. If I can find someone in the next week or so, I might be able to fit you in sooner.

Hey Cliff....I'm a quick study...and would work hard. Could you match my current salary? If so, then I'm your guy!!! You wouldn't have to change your sign either....people could still drop by and ask for Cliff.....LOL.

Mo...sorry to hear about the motor problems...I can relate!

I said it b4.

Those old motors shoudn't be trusted.

Never mind some guy comin on here and saying those Johsons are 'bullet proof'.

Err on the safe side and either save up for a newer motor, or never venture out too far, cause it will leave you stranded.

Bull. That's all I have to say about that.

Impeller is an easy fix. Not hard at all. Get a factory repair manual. The entire water pump kit (BRP 0389133) is about $80. The impeller alone (BRP 777213) is about $30 from your local dealer. The entire job should take you less than an hour. Impellers are a consumable wear part. They should be changed every 2-5 years.

Also, don't reuse the impeller even if it looks good.

It concerns me that the motor didn't start after the battery was recharged. That length of time should have been more than enough for it to cool down and restart. Before dumping any money in the motor. Drop the lower unit and inspect the pump. If the impeller is broken in pieces make sure you get them all out otherwise it may block the water passages in the block. You should also check compression. If compression is ok then procede with the repairs.

Edited by boatman

I can look at it on the weekend if you want but it sounds electrical if it won't start again, i would say a compression check to start, then go through the engine sure we can get it running again without much problem.

Iam located between bean and cliff