Greencoachdog

And what about the fishes feelings???? I know if I judge a certain someone's weight to be more than it is, I have opened up a world of misery for myself. :oops::wallbash::whistling:

Speaking for myself, if I post a pic of a fish with a weight, then the weight posted is as honest as I am.

I think most avid fishermen have weighed a tonne of fish and measured them over the years on a quest for a PB along the way. Most have a general idea of what a fish would weigh just from that experience, if someone is way exagerating the weight of a fish most can tell no problem.....if someone catches a true 5-6-7 lber bass they know it for example because those fish will look way bigger than any they caught before.....GCD is right if someone posts an obvious Bull story..well that person's credibility amoung hundreds of members of the forum will eventually speak for itslef along the way. :Gonefishing:

I also agree. And that was me with the white crappie. Since then I have been measuring fish rather than weighing. I rarely measure, but sometimes when all the fish seem to be the same size and then I get one that seems bigger I will measure its length. Only for rough measurements. I don't measure girth or anything. I'll weigh a big bass or pike if its multiple lb's or if I'm simply interested in knowing its size but I don't take the weight to be perfect. Just a rough ballpark weight to basically see if what I thought the fish weighed by eyeballing it was correct.

No one seems to be fine with just saying "nice fish" and letting it go. Everyone always needs to know the weight. Most people, especially those that don't fish too often, have no desire to know the length measurements of a fish and are purely interested in the weight, since that's how you always hear fish size talked about.

I learned my lesson with that crappie that streamside scales, like my Berkley boga-like digital scale , shouldn't be held to the tiniest oz as far as accuracy goes. Yes, they should be able to be confidently read to that degree as that's how they are sold, but in my opinion don't bother. All weights may or may not be off by up to a few oz's.

A measurement is a measurement and tape measures are never "off". Way more reliable with a tape and pretty much no possible operator error (pinching tail).

Besides, shouldn't big fish awards/records go to the fish that got that big and not to the guy that took a few seconds to trick it and reel it in ? :)

Edited by Beats