Camp Jiggy Jiggy Report

TJQ

Spent 4 days at camp with some good friends and a day before and after with Monique. Accomplished a few things, cut a 300m trail/portage past our camp downstream to the next rapids and with some help from some lively Minnows, my buddy Tookie finally found where the pickerel were hiding on my stretch of the river. They were mostly very small, but we found a few big enough to eat! Oh ya finally!! SOME DECENT WEATHER!!!

Here's some pictures:

Our fearless duck having a snooze on the dock.. pretty gutsy with the two dogs around...

img_2314.jpg

img_2322.jpg

img_2324.jpg

Ole muskie keeping a watch out for Yogi

img_2328.jpg

My New Rubbermaid Minnow Cage/Livewell... worked like a charm!! I had tons of minnows left from last trip.

img_2342.jpg

Tookie provided us with the first fish fry.

img_2372.jpg

Topwater off the dock is always a blast.. you can pretty much bet on one or two in 5 min of casting!

pict8915.jpg

Here we are pouring over maps discussing what back lakes we should hit first!

pict8928.jpg

And then me "contemplating" all that info.....

pict8933.jpg

View of the Camp from the water!

pict8939.jpg

I took the ole 3hp out for a spin.

pict8943.jpg

pict8946.jpg

Tookies grand guiding adventure...

pict8941.jpg

pict8951.jpg

Looks like Mike caught a small pickerel and a clam in the same shot.

pict8953.jpg

pict8958.jpg

pict8961.jpg

pict8963.jpg

pict8964.jpg

pict8969.jpg

Even ducky wanted in one the fishing action.... i didn't know this but did you know black ducks will eat minnows... this one was feeding on the dead ones from the Rubbermaid.. i didnt think they did!

pict9009.jpg

That day, I had the first equipment failure, when my 3hp ceased to function, and we were "backtrolled" back to camp.... embarassing, but it beat paddling!

pict9058.jpg

Sunset up the river.. always gorgeous.

pict9066.jpg

pict9119.jpg

There were mushrooms everywhere, must be the damp weather... I should really learn which ones we can eat!

pict9087.jpg

The last day we were packed up but it was so gorgeous, we made arrangements to stay an additional night... and found 4 pickerel big enough to eat! Pan fried in butter, they were absolutely FABULOUS!

img_2380.jpg

img_2382.jpg

img_2386.jpg

img_2391.jpg

A great trip with great friends as well as a few surprises!

Nice report! I was very kind of you and Monique to stop by Gloden Eagle last week to say high! A definate brush with greatness for me!

I found the Pickereyes in the area to be much small er than I am accustommed to, but still plenty of fun to catch. I also found that they wanted very little to do with artificial baits! We found worm harnesses and jigs/worms to be very effective, with green and orange blades leading the pack.

TJ, with your camp being virtually in the same watershed, you may consider trying those out!

Again, thanks for the reprot and even more for the quick visit!

HH

PS... Hunter, the camp dog ahs asked for "Musky the Husky's" phone number! :whistling:

Nice report! I was very kind of you and Monique to stop by Gloden Eagle last week to say high! A definate brush with greatness for me!

I found the Pickereyes in the area to be much small er than I am accustommed to, but still plenty of fun to catch. I also found that they wanted very little to do with artificial baits! We found worm harnesses and jigs/worms to be very effective, with green and orange blades leading the pack.

TJ, with your camp being virtually in the same watershed, you may consider trying those out!

Again, thanks for the report and even more for the quick visit!

HH

PS... Hunter, the camp dog has asked for "Musky the Husky's" phone number! :whistling:

Thanks guys..

HH... brush with greatness... well I dunno about that... but it was nice to see you.. Id have stayed a bit longer.. but we were running way late as it was.. and its still a chore to get into camp...

Im bringing a worm box into camp next time so we can leave some in there, easier to keep than minnows.. Ill be interested in how the y work.. generally we use nipissing jigs (with trailer hook) Ive never used a harness before, although where we were doing well it was a very flat bottom with no snags and we were drift fishing, so I imagine a harness would do well there.

LOL.. and Muskie got himself into some trouble at camp with Tookies dog... lets just say it involved some "lovemaking" and then the inevitable, oh my god... what have I done and then the hey where are you going yelping.... (much the same as us I guess... LOL)

Its gonna be tough not to overfish the pickerel on my little stretch though, im pretty protective of it...

Love seeing your piece of heaven there TJ. Great to see you've got the pickerel figured out. Looked like a great fry as too, sometimes keeping it simple is all you need to do. ;) Thanks for the report.

PS - How is the motor?

Dunno.. I dropped it off this morning.... it just quit after working very well... I think the float in the carb is stuck, or theres some kind of obstruction somewhere... cause I could get it to run, but only for a few seconds... in any event its way too small for me to be dinking with it..

Well, he IS a very attractive dog you know! And let's face it, that far north, the selection is very slim! Take what you can get I guess!LOL

HH

Ok.. ill say it before anyone else does... "Monique Did...."

Dunno.. I dropped it off this morning.... it just quit after working very well... I think the float in the carb is stuck, or theres some kind of obstruction somewhere... cause I could get it to run, but only for a few seconds... in any event its way too small for me to be dinking with it..

Doesn't sound too bad, at least let's hope so. Thanks again for the report.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report. MMMMMM pickerels!Looks very promising for the future. All you have to do now is find the big ones. Maybe find a deep weed line or some current!

Nice outing in a great spot.

Hope some walleyes will move into your stretch of water. I understand they're bigger than pickerals.

WHAT!!! Theres no walleyes up here!

Figures it takes somebody, anybody, to find the fish for you. Bless his little heart :lol:

Looking better and better up there every time you do a report Teej :thumbsup_anim:

When is my queen size deluxe bed with canopy arriving?

Great report, but they're no salmon :rolleyes:;)

Joey