1st Salmon Off The Piers!!!!!!!!!

CLofchik

Some guys live for opening day of bass, others for fall steel. I love fall chinooks off the piers, late summer gun metal freight trains, giddity giddity.

On hearing rumours that an early run was on I couldn't help myself and roused early to be casting before dawn. Ahhhh, the ozone hiss of the flash warming up, following the graceful arc of the glo spoon descending towards the calm waters like a falling star landing in an inland sea. Feeling the thump-thump of the spoon slowly working, the anticipation of the strike that may never come.

But this morning the wait isn't a long one, a STRIKE, a short hit but that was definitely a FISH. Only five casts in, this is going to be a memorable morning. Another half hour of casting, varying retrieves, the occasional large fish rising, was that a carp or something more silver?

Then the hit, BAMMMM, slam the rod back quickly three times to lay the big single hook in deep and the weight is still there, then the familiar cry that hasn't been uttered since last season, FISH ON! A few head shakes, then the run. Drag screams as line melts off the spool as the silver fresh fish moves quickly left, then out of the water in three successive leaps. The barely dawn light glistens from it's silvery blue sides as it crashes back down into the water and begins a quick bulldogging fight, trying to keep deep but the steady pressure of braid & flourocarbon eventually wins the tug of war.

Coming to net after a valiant fight the exhausted fish lays quietly as the first king of the season hits the concrete. Wooooo baby this is going to be a banner season!

July28003.jpg

Glorious colours, from an inch away it's hard for the wide angle to capture all of the fish...................................

Okay, it may be a little small, but it's still a KING. First one of the year.

Woot, another 12.5" for Team #4 :D

July28001.jpg

Is it just me or did you slaughter an atlantic?

WHOAH. Another funny!! j/k

Personaly, I don't feel that slaughter is the right word here. It would be more along the lines of harvest... Nothing wrong with that. He wasn't exactly lining fish with marshmellows.

I can see why you would think it's a salmo salar because of the markings, but young jack kings (this fish is probably a year old) also have these markings..

I'm pretty positive that it's a chinny. Anyone care to back me up on this one?

HD

Pretty sure that is not a chinook check the tail on it and it will tell you that it is another salmon....most likely an Atlantic. I have been fishing chinooks for some time and the young shakers that we get definitely do not have the same tail as the one in the pic and the colours are different. You will have google some pics and you will see that it is not a chinook.

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

Pretty sure that is not a chinook check the tail on it and it will tell you that it is another salmon....most likely an Atlantic. I have been fishing chinooks for some time and the young shakers that we get definitely do not have the same tail as the one in the pic and the colours are different. You will have google some pics and you will see that it is not a chinook.

Regards,

Sam

Maybe a coho?

I'm not convinced that it's an atlantic. The jaw line and eyes just arn't right. Also, young chinook parr do have forked tails...

....My thoughts....

While I'm not certain it's a Coho I am certain it's not an Atlantic.

The caudal peduncle, to small and to narrow. The tail to deeply forked which now leads me to this....Pink. Pinks have very deep forked tails. Or a real possibility, Pinook!

Oh yes I have caught an seen a handful of Atlantics.

A few better shots would help.

Umm..I Googled "Armpit of Ontario" and didn't see where that was :rolleyes:

I guess i will wait for the run at "The Prettiest Town in Canada". to come in too. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the teaser though :wallbash:

LoL

Splashhopper

Armpit of Ontario has got to be Sudbury or the Hammer.

For comparison, here is an atlantic I caught off a Lake O pier in the spring of '07.

The heavy scale loss looks similar to the scale loss on the fish I caught. Coho and chinook do not usually lose that many scales with gentle handling. Head looks a little large compared to the body though...

DSCF0012.jpg

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess