musky in the georgean bay

spinnerdoc

hello i am starting this year to go for musky and have some of the basic gear. will be targeting the georgian bay. would like to get some tips where to fish...not looking for your honey holes but areas and rivers in the georgian bay to hit, had a few guys tell me to try pointe au baril area, couple of guys say the french river, and the pickerel. so yeah any town you could point me to would be much appreciated. what time of year is best and all that stuff.i heard fall is the best but if you could give some of your experience as well. thanks

i caught a musky last year by fluke and man it got me interested

F1000021__Small_.JPG

Moon/French River basins, Blackstone Harbour are a couple of known good spots.

Be warned though that GBay can get real nasty really quick. Personally I wouldn't venture out there until I had some good hydro maps and a chartplotter.

Many people believe that the next world record will come out of Gbay, I tend to agree with them.

Will you be fishing from shore or a boat.

Southern geo bay by Honey and the Severn Sound are gerally better with a smaller boat as you can always tuck in behind an Island.

Pointe Au Baril is a tough fish, not as much action but very big fish. 1 day oout of 7 they might be on. Takes a long time to learn.

D

If you are just starting out, I would say forget GBay...too discouraging (ignore the post above where 5 were caught, you're more likely to get hit by lightning 10 times than get those results!). If possible, head for a kawartha lake like pigeon or scugog when you are just starting out. If you really must fish GBay I'd say Magnetewan river area

The Bay is not for the faint hearted, if you like to fish for a week with no muskies then it is the place for you.

Honestly try the Kawarthas and build yourself up with confidence to fish the bay as you will definitely need it.

Other than that congrats on the addiction, have fun and dont break the bank. LOL

Bryan

I would agree not to start on Georgian Bay,it can be demoralizing at times(big water,few fish,treacherous shoals.)Better off to start on some of the kawarha lakes,learn a lake or two well,then take what you learn and go back to the bay to chase "biggins."I fished pigeon for about five years and had lots of fun with good numbers of smaller muskys(multiple fish days can be the norm with a little work.)When you do hit the Bay,remember that you are chasing huge,scarce,smart beasts who will break your wallet,your heart and your gear.That is if you can suffer though the boredum and moments of questioning your sanity that you will experience on most trips.

thanks for the word of caution, advice and tips as to where to go and start up.i heard lots of good stories from the kawarthas. i will however look into those places you guys mentioned at the bay. i was actually looking towards rivers feeding off the georgean bay...good pont about how the bay turns quickly...i guess they don't have all those shipwrecks under there for nothing. so in the fall is it worth going to the rivers feeding off the georgian bay to hunt them muskies? i love that area very nice drive and clean waters and all ....i am willing to rent a boat and fishfrom shore as well.

once again thanks for the tips guys

tight lines

oh don't worry i fished for a few years now and i have questioned my sanity a couple of times...i dunno how many solo trips have i gone with no fish ,some good and times got people interested fiching so ... there you go...just gotta try not to break the bank

I would agree not to start on Georgian Bay,it can be demoralizing at times(big water,few fish,treacherous shoals.)Better off to start on some of the kawarha lakes,learn a lake or two well,then take what you learn and go back to the bay to chase "biggins."I fished pigeon for about five years and had lots of fun with good numbers of smaller muskys(multiple fish days can be the norm with a little work.)When you do hit the Bay,remember that you are chasing huge,scarce,smart beasts who will break your wallet,your heart and your gear.That is if you can suffer though the boredum and moments of questioning your sanity that you will experience on most trips.

listen to this guy hes got the MOST boatable Muskie hours than anybody I know him and the crew FISH HARD

Yes, I live on the bay and fish point au baril almost every other day, know all the structure in my area, fish many hours and boat hardly any muskies at all. It's tough, tones of hours on the water, lonely at times, and almost to the point where you want to give up all together, but once you get that first pig or close to it with a mammoth follow you'll understand why people do this. To this day I have no patterns or times that I know will have better odds of finding a fish other than late fall in the rivers or early spring near spawning grounds , basically all you can do is locate the best structure, present a good bait, and hope to baby Jesus you are lucky enough to be in the rite place at the rite time. :) I have took so many Kawartha fishing friends out that just whined the whole day that we didn't catch a fish, when I told them ahead of time how tough it can be, so annoying that they are not invited back, lol. Not too many shore spots that I know of, and I would recommend getting a guide for a day if you do come up.

Take note on all the guys saying Gbay is not the place to start. We used to own a resort in the same area as GBaygiant, and I fished for 22 years there. I caught 1 musky about 3 lbs. I never targeted them when we had our place now, but I do now and its not the place to start at all.

Just like everyone else says, you can fish for days, with nothing to show for it, other then sore arms and a sore back. Go to numbers waters and get your feet wet. it will be much more fun and you will appreciate the work that is involved in trying to catch them.

Good Luck

Definitely agree with other poster about Georgian bay, my experiences were humbling at best. Huge amounts of water to fish and very tough to find Ski's.

Have caught some nice bass and pike there though.

persistance pays on the Bay...

ive made a few trips out there with no more than a follow, while worth the wait regardless

beautiful waters

stick to moon river, with a 14' tinny it isnt that bad, just stay away from the big open waters.

hell...Reefrunner and I have traversed that area in canoes several times

:D

These guys need to be dealt with,my buddies refer to them as"polluters".Your right not to invite them back

It's not just the kawartha guys but they came to mind first, lol, cause I had one out 2 weeks ago that was telling me about the 54" he caught in the kawarthas and complaining how slow it was none stop all day on the bay. That's just the start though some guy tried to tell me yesterday he got a 34" smallie on the bay with a straight face. I didn't bother to question it, to ridiculous. All I said was what did you do with it ? "I ate it he said" I replied, "you realize you just ate the world record then rite ? " :lol:

Some fisherman go overboard, and inch or two is normal, 10-20 is just silly. :rolleyes:

Nice fish by the way, Spinnerdoc.

Edited by GbayGiant