WHAT KIND OF FISH IS THIS?

limeyangler

Google seems to give info that would identify this as a Silver pike. A pike mutation.

I have never heard of a silver pike but I am pretty sure I have seen one when I was in my teens.

Tom

Guest Johnny Bass

Looks like a pike that has been brushing itself against rocks...Or just like was said. A hybrid of pike. I have seen muskies with the same coloration.

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_pike

Alternate forms

[3] Another form of northern pike, the silver pike, is not a subspecies but rather a mutation that occurs in scattered populations. Silver pike, sometimes called silver muskellunge, lack the rows of spots and appear silver or silvery-blue in color. (Craig, 1).

Edited by Nemo

I remember 4- 5 yrs. ago i think kgeary(anglerskingdom) did a post on these silver pike.

Apparently there is a lake or two south of Nungesser where they are more common.

So they are termed 'silver pike' some colour variation from a Northern Pike.

ehg

kind of hard to say from the pic, but looks to me to be a grass pike as well...they tend to not grow as big as northerns, but an identifying feature I think I can see in the pic is the small dark/black verticle line under the eye, although all the grasspike I have ever caught so to speak where dark green with alot of white spotted markings, and often thier heads look too big for the body like the fish still has to grow into it's head

kind of hard to say from the pic, but looks to me to be a grass pike as well...they tend to not grow as big as northerns, but an identifying feature I think I can see in the pic is the small dark/black verticle line under the eye, although all the grasspike I have ever caught so to speak where dark green with alot of white spotted markings, and often thier heads look too big for the body like the fish still has to grow into it's head

LOLOL....JWL...that's kinda like saying...."oh yeah......i have a shirt exactly like that....except its green , not black, with short sleeves and no collar"

sorry, couldn't resist :whistling::angel::P:)

LOLOL....JWL...that's kinda like saying...."oh yeah......i have a shirt exactly like that....except its green , not black, with short sleeves and no collar"

sorry, couldn't resist :whistling::angel::P:)

ya ya :P , but you can see in the pic the distinguishing little dark line under the middle of the eye down to the cheek....that's how you tell if it's a grass pike and not a northern like in the pic that l2p posted. The one in the post has an unusal colour pattern for sure compared to the classic markings of a grass pike :Gonefishing:

ya ya :P , but you can see in the pic the distinguishing little dark line under the middle of the eye down to the cheek....that's how you tell if it's a grass pike and not a northern like in the pic that l2p posted. The one in the post has an unusal colour pattern for sure compared to the classic markings of a grass pike :Gonefishing:

The line below the eye of a grass pickerel is much more distinctive.

19.jpg

The line below the eye in that picture appears to be an artifact of the lighting. That fish is also larger than grass pickerel grow. It's a northern.