I will never buy another ford product again

aniceguy

I had a V6 Camry and drove it without any repairs for 6 years. I was selling in those days and put on a ton of miles. I change the oil every 5000km. and nothing ever went wrong. Best car I've ever owned. To bad I can't afford one of their trucks to pull my boat.

My tow vehicle is a Dodge Ram 1500. They are cheap trucks, but I have had good service from mine...260,000km and still going. I wish the brakes were bigger, the extra weight of the trailer really eats mine up in a hurry.

I have owned several Fords and GM Trucks and cars. Last year I purchased a Japanese designed Toyota Tundra and it's head and shoulders above ANYTHING I have previously owned. I am speaking from experience, this is one solid truck. It has all the power you want and it's stopping power is AMAZING with the front calibers having FOUR pistons on each side not to mention 14" calipers. Last week I went to to Ivanhoe Lake near Timmins and even with stop and go traffic on the QEW and 35 minutes to get through customs on the Rainbow bridge I averaged 19.39 mpg. Towing with this truck seems like the boat is not back there on acceleration and stopping. No more Detroit designed vehicles for me.

Here's my work truck / tow vehicle.

Truck.jpg

I have owned several Fords and GM Trucks and cars. Last year I purchased a Japanese designed Toyota Tundra and it's head and shoulders above ANYTHING I have previously owned. I am speaking from experience, this is one solid truck. It has all the power you want and it's stopping power is AMAZING with the front calibers having FOUR pistons on each side not to mention 14" calipers. Last week I went to to Ivanhoe Lake near Timmins and even with stop and go traffic on the QEW and 35 minutes to get through customs on the Rainbow bridge I averaged 19.39 mpg. Towing with this truck seems like the boat is not back there on acceleration and stopping. No more Detroit designed vehicles for me.

Here's my work truck / tow vehicle.

Truck.jpg

I will be sticking to my Ford/GMC vehicles when it comes to trucks for truck purposes, as the japanese are still deadlast.

A big engine dosen't make a truck... Thats what Toyota with there tundra and the now discontinued Nissan titan are finding out.

How can you buy a truck from a company that has no idea what there used for? The guy that designed and engineered the Tundra was braught over to North America for a whoping 4 weeks to better understand what a real truck was before returning back to japan to designed the new tundra.

It shows what I guess he failed to pick up on here in a couple of these clips...

Tundras great frame strength...

The new Tundra is the most recalled vehicle in Toyota history and from what I have heard Toyota is still up to there eyeballs in lawsuits from owners who tried to sit on there tailgates and had them collapse as the designers forgot to engineer a tailgate that can hold more than a 100lb.

Louis, sorry to here about the van bud. If you need a deal on a real truck for towing give me a call.

Edited by FUSION

I was under one of those the other day at my buds garage, it was in for a$500 alternator. It was an impressive truck. I hope your quad pistons don't seize like my fords dual piston calibers do, I came home with em just a smoken a couple days ago and if it was mine I would rust check it as Toyota has a buy back on some of their small trucks where the undercoating trapped water and rusted out the frame.

I think the problem with cars these days is they are over engineered and built out of junk. More transmissions have been changed due to faulty sensors than we would like to guess.

No vehicle is perfect. They all could build indestructible but wont. It would put too many out of work.

Just be careful of what you buy. There is a difference between a Ford Windstar/Freestar van and a Ford pickup. The pickups are much better.

Being in the auto repair business I see what is ok or not.

From what I see the F150 is still the best of the domestics. They have issues too I know but they seem to be less than the other two.

The Chev Impala and the Malibu seem to be holding up well in the last couple of model years. But my preference would be an Accord or a Camry.

Sad really. I would like to say "BUY A DODGE/FORD/GM" but in all honesty cant recommend too many of them.

I drive a 1996 F150 with 265000 km on it. Been the best truck I ever owned and I have owned many different vehicles.

Best car was a 1985 Camry that had 380000 km on it when I shipped it to the scrapyard. Couldn't drive it on a dirt road anymore. It let too much dust in and you couldn't see. Ya.. it was full of rust holes but EVERYTHING still worked (including the A/C and power windows).

By the way...Did you know that the Camry is built in America? Ford Fusion, Chev Impala and the Dodge Charger are all built elsewhere.

Edited by Bernie

Now come on now,we should know that they all build lemons now and then,and everyone has a preference....just because FORD builds more than most....lol.....That's how Honda kicked them out of the big three.....Anyone that was at Lakair this year and got to watch me pull out a VERY stuck Freightliner tractor,should have impressed,I was.....The last Chevy I owned Was 21 years old and the kid I sold it to had a smile a mile wide as he drove her to her new home.....and my '98 has 325,000 on her and still purrs everyday......Anyone that knows me ,knows my choice.........TC and tight lines........Chuck..... P.S. Freaked-out rust designs was always my favorite.....lol.....

I will be sticking to my Ford/GMC vehicles when it comes to trucks for truck purposes, as the japanese are still deadlast.

A big engine dosen't make a truck... Thats what Toyota with there tundra and the now discontinued Nissan titan are finding out.

How can you buy a truck from a company that has no idea what there used for? The guy that designed and engineered the Tundra was braught over to North America for a whoping 4 weeks to better understand what a real truck was before returning back to japan to designed the new tundra.

It shows what I guess he failed to pick up on here in a couple of these clips...

Tundras great frame strength...

The new Tundra is the most recalled vehicle in Toyota history and from what I have heard Toyota is still up to there eyeballs in lawsuits from owners who tried to sit on there tailgates and had them collapse as the designers forgot to engineer a tailgate that can hold more than a 100lb.

Louis, sorry to here about the van bud. If you need a deal on a real truck for towing give me a call.

Is UTUBE your bible on how to pick a truck. For each one of those clips I could show you several about GM and Ford but I wouldn't waste anyones time with that Bull.

My SOLID BUILT Tundra has not gone back for even one repair or adjustment. I can't say that about ANY of the Fords or GM's I owned. And FORD / GM has been building trucks for what, 100 years and they still don't have it right. Not only are the Ford's tranny bad but what about the engines spitting out spark plugs like pop corn and then Ford telling it's customer to take a hike. Been there done that. Until you have owned a TUNDRA you shouldn't comment on something you know little about. :whistling:

BTW the 2008 Toyota TUNDRA was Motor Trend's truck of the year :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/...nner/index.html

My dad's still driving his '92 F-150. Never had any major problems with it. A truck that's 15 years old is bound to have small stuff, but nothing huge. It's been treated right which makes all the difference.

Guest Johnny Bass

And customer service for Japanese vehicles is top notch! And the dealerships don't take you to the cleaners every time!

The only advantage the American cars HAD, were that they used to be cheaper and so were the parts, and they were easier to fix. And the American trucks had more umph!After a few modifications, the Japanese cars and trucks, out perform in every way.

I am pretty sure if the Americans wanted to build a truck/car that could out last you, they easily could.But there is no profit in that. Thats capitalism for you.

My dad's still driving his '92 F-150. Never had any major problems with it. A truck that's 15 years old is bound to have small stuff, but nothing huge. It's been treated right which makes all the difference.

AMEN to that Brother. You treat them right,they will treat you the same.

AMEN to that Brother. You treat them right,they will treat you the same.

I only wish that was true. How do you prevent spark plugs from spitting out or a fly wheel from cracking not to mention having to replace brake rotors every 12-18 months.

I graduated from SUNY at Alfred better know as Alfred Tech with a degree in auto mechanics. End up working on the railroad for 30 years and take care of a fleet of GM trucks for several years. I know or at least back then knew my away around a repair shop. I still maintain all my vehicles because I really don't trust anyone else. But when your in warranty you have to have the Stealership repair your vehicle :(

I only wish that was true. How do you prevent spark plugs from spitting out or a fly wheel from cracking not to mention having to replace brake rotors every 12-18 months.

I graduated from SUNY at Alfred better know as Alfred Tech with a degree in auto mechanics. End up working on the railroad for 30 years and take care of a fleet of GM trucks for several years. I know or at least back then knew my away around a repair shop. I still maintain all my vehicles because I really don't trust anyone else. But when your in warranty you have to have the Stealership repair your vehicle :(

Like I said,97 F150 4.2 lt, 5 speed, just the norm repairs and a happy FORD driver..Guess I got a truck that was built on a Wednesday.LOL

My truck is repaired by a good friend and some one that has had a gargae for over 40 years. One repair guy and no worries.

I have been looking at the new fat body style,which looks so PHAT,but I got my sights on a boat.

Edited by misfish

My brother is a mechanic, and says the trucks coming in for the most major repairs last year were Chev Silverados, and anything Dodge. Dodge mostly transmission problems, GM.. just about everything. He said Ford's are actually pretty good trucks, for American made.

Guest Johnny Bass
Want to bet on that one Johnny?

Bet on what? Japanese customer service against Ford??? :lol: You have any problem a Japanese dealer will resolve it no questions asked. Not the case with American made. I know of so many people that got BRAND NEW lemons, and what did they do? Nothing. Either that or they charge you an arm and a leg to rectify it. And sometimes even then it doesn't solve the problem. And they will tell you, oh well that part was broken also.

Guest Johnny Bass

I apologize to all the people that work at Ford and such! But they have to start getting their act together. They are falling behind in every way.....

The auto industry in North America was already headed downhill and the minivan saved them(at least for a little while). I think the F150's and the Mustangs saved Ford. But what now? Maybe the hydrogen car GM is working on will put them back on top.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Bet on what? Japanese customer service against Ford???

NO, That they do also rip you off.

My sis outlaw had here Honda towed to a Honda delearship and they cut all her break lines do to "THEY FELT"the car was not road worthy.

Just so you know,she had everything replaced for FREE and a 1000 dollar gas card given to her,after a letter from her lawyer. :ph34r:

What a dumb :asshat: move,wouldnt you say?

I'll be looking to buy next spring and I've spent the morning today viewing both the Tundra and Tacoma.

We have a 99 Silverado Ext.Cab. that's been a fair truck for us. When my wife bought it in 2000 it had 45,000km's on it and over the 8 years we've only put 50,0000kms on it. Still under 100,000.

Major problems we've had were... the power windows. There was a design flaw that year for the tracking of the trucks power windows. A dealer pointed this out to us as he was gouging our wallets of about $900 to fix one window and semi-fix the other. Of course, the semi-fix was a full fix a year later and we got dinged another $800. Chev couldn't afford to recall all Silverado's even though one of their dealers was admitting they screwed up. Many people likely didn't notice the problem as much as us, for again, the driver's side of our truck is in need of repair. Reason being, it seems to be the rough roads; and one time definitely after the truck got off the train chain car, which worsen the problem. Otherwise, our Silverado pretty much bi-annually needed ball joints replaced, I have done brakes once, shocks once, and all tires once. There has been an ongoing tailgate problem as well but it's been MacGyver'd. I like the looks of the new Silverado's but am not sure if they're the right choice, I understand they get pretty poor gas mileage comparitively......... (would like to know differences between them all)

Motor Trend 2008 truck of the year was the Tundra. Any Tundra or Tacoma owners have any opinions on their trucks?

Is UTUBE your bible on how to pick a truck. For each one of those clips I could show you several about GM and Ford but I wouldn't waste anyones time with that Bull.

My SOLID BUILT Tundra has not gone back for even one repair or adjustment. I can't say that about ANY of the Fords or GM's I owned. And FORD / GM has been building trucks for what, 100 years and they still don't have it right. Not only are the Ford's tranny bad but what about the engines spitting out spark plugs like pop corn and then Ford telling it's customer to take a hike. Been there done that. Until you have owned a TUNDRA you shouldn't comment on something you know little about. :whistling:

BTW the 2008 Toyota TUNDRA was Motor Trend's truck of the year :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/...nner/index.html

Youtube is not my bible but I know the facts are hard to swallow. Just wondering if you did any real research about your Tundra before you bought it besides driveing it around the block? Were you aware of the documented camshaft problems, electircal failures, bed bounce problems, tailgate problems, exhaust rattle problems, seatbelt warning chim problems when you researched your truck? I know, I know... I know nothing about the tundra.

Its only a year old, I should hope it hasen't been in the shop! I have driven the new Tundra about half a dozen times as I know people who own them. It rides like a suv because thats what it is. Ladered frame, not stamped "only full size truck that uses it" suv coiled suspension.

The only difference between your truck and the Sequoia suv is the box on the back whick is going to end up cracking your back window under load because its ankered so well to your laddered minivan style frame.

A truck that big and heavy sitting on a weak unboxed laddered frame with too soft suspension and weak leaf springs towing a heavy load on the hiway scares the hell out of me.

Also wondering how you use your front tow hooks without ripping your bumper off??? As there mounted up and under the bumper of your truck. Yet another "inclass first" for toyota :thumbsup_anim: .

Hey, I will be the first to say the tundra has power under the hood which makes up alittle bit for its look and overpriced price tag but real truck buyers know its not put together solidly thats why its dead last in sales in the 1500 segment in north america.

And as far as north american trucks not haveing it right... If we don't have it right were the hell does that leave you???

Maybe the next redesign Toyota will let the engineer stay for a few more weeks over here and rent him a real truck to drive so he can see what its all about.

Again enjoy your truck just please becarefull if you try to sit or stand on your tailgate as I wouldn't want to see you hit the ground and hurt yourself when it gives way. :stretcher:

Tailgate problems...

More tundra problems

Edited by FUSION