breaking off braid

JoshS

I was night fishing last week and cast my spook into a tree beside shore <_< and had a :wallbash: of a time breaking the line. What do some of you do when you snag a lure deep and want to break the line on heavy braid?

Depends on how far away I cast.

If it's close then I'll just cut my line at the end of the rod.

If it's far away then I point the rod where the lure went, hold the spool and pull straight back until it breaks...hopefully breaking at the knot I tied and getting as much line back as possible. Make sure there is NO bend in your rod as that much pressure could damage the rod and the eyes.

Oh yeah....be careful of the line coming back at you at a 100 mph if there is any tackle left on it after it breaks.

Dont break it off, I have yet to find a snag that 40 LB PP couldnt either drag into the boat or straighten the hooks out on my lure.

If you cast onto shore, go get it! If it is someones property however you may want to consider just cutting the line.

whatever you do, DONT PULL WITH YOUR HANDS

good way to lose a digit

Dont break it off, I have yet to find a snag that 40 LB PP couldnt either drag into the boat or straighten the hooks out on my lure.

If you cast onto shore, go get it! If it is someones property however you may want to consider just cutting the line.

whatever you do, DONT PULL WITH YOUR HANDS

good way to lose a digit

And wear yer glasses. Mebbe it's just my aged reflexes, but those unstuck lures sure come back at ya quick. I tried to keep Garry between me and the hung up hooks each time on the weekend. It was a little tricky getting him to stand still while I stuck the line between his legs so I could duck in behind them when I pulled. Fortunately they all just bounced off him.

JF

I use 50 and 65 lb braid with 30 lb leaders when I get snagged up I use a piece of wood dowel that I keep on the boat. I wrap the line around it 3 or 4 times and then pull till the leader breaks then just tie on a new hook saving the weight and swivel because it is on the 50lb+ stuff.

Art

That braid stuff is pretty strong, and if you want to break off,yer going to have a job and a half on your hands.

I pulled stuff out from the river this pass weekend, that would make you go :w00t:

This braid line is awesome,but if you do have to ever cut off,make it with as short a tag you can.

I wouldnt want that stuff wrapped on my prop shaft.Im sure you would not like it either.

I do the same thing as oncogene, I never tie braid directly. I always use a fluoro leader, and if I snag and get get it free, I wrap the braid around the handles of my pliers and pull steadily to snap the fluoro or more likely break it off at one of the knots.

Mike

Guest skeeter99

if you dont have cutters, or a lighter on you here is what I have done a couple of times

wrap the line around a cleat on your boat and fire up the big engine and just move ahead slowly and she should snap

if you dont have cutters, or a lighter on you here is what I have done a couple of times

wrap the line around a cleat on your boat and fire up the big engine and just move ahead slowly and she should snap

OH man are you going to get some nasty email when someone's new boat has a chunk missing around the cleat LOL

Wind up the slack, point the rod at the snag , jam the reel spool so that the drag can't slip and pull straight back...The hook will straighten, the line will break, or the snag will be pulled to the surface.

Guest skeeter99

canuck

OH man are you going to get some nasty email when someone's new boat has a chunk missing around the cleat LOL

it doesent happen buddy it snaps like thread

canuck

it doesent happen buddy it snaps like thread

OK but you obviously haven't heard about the kind of luck some of us have on here..... LOL

The most fun you can have is when your musky fishing and dragging a 9"-2 3/4oz storm jig on 80lb Power Pro with a 90lb seven strand leader and snag bottom while drifting in the current(3-4 mph or more) of the Upper Niagara river by yourself. It's just insane you get sucked into the snag try to pop it out real fast if that does not work then the real fun begins.I have to back off the drag as fast as possible and get the main motor started and into gear and get the boat going up stream faster than the current is trying to pull you downstream. When I've got the boat moving against the current I've got to get the drag tightened down and start reeling in my slack line, but while your doing that your not steering the boat which is still in gear and moving upstream.You have to becareful the current doesn't turn the boat into your line.Once you have control of your line and your boat you just jam your thumb into the spool to stop any line slipping off and with your rod pointed staight at the snag keep driving upstream until you pull the jig out of the snag or your line breaks.I would say I get 90% of my jigs back, but sometimes without the hook.The first few times you have to do this it's alittle scary but after you do it a couple of times you get used to it and everything becomes routine. Rob