Annual Kawartha Report PICS!

kemper

This past week we headed up to scotsman point resort on Upper Buckhorn Lake for the 13th consecutive year. It is a family vacation but for my dad and I it is a chance to spend as much time on the water as possible.

The week started off with a BANG as we landed 20 + bass the first morning. Didn't take many pictures because they were all cookie cutter 1.5 to 2 lbers but it was a BLAST. We get into a couple pigs, my dad landed a nice one and I lost a 3 plus largie that threw my spinner bait. Also lost a spinnerbait to a musky that would have completed the Buckhorn Grand Slam on the first day for me, Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleye, Musky. As we were drifting past a large weedbed with pencil weeds sticking out I was talking about how there HAS to be a musky in there, just waiting to ambush. Next cast, mid sentence talking about the shark that should be in there a 40" class fish explodes on my spinnerbait, and ends up biting right through my 40 lb PP.

Here is a sample of that first morning.

med_gallery_256_506_89790.jpg

med_gallery_256_506_25557.jpg

The fishing got tough that night as a thunderstorm rolled in, caught some fish but nothing to write home about.

The weather was NOT co operative the past week, cold fronts and almost unfishable winds made us work hard for every fish, but we enjoyed the challenge. Never really found the pattern, and I dont think there was one. The weather had the fish scattered, we would find pockets of active fish but they were really random.

The first night brought me a 15" eye, that met the hot butter bath without a picture, but while im on the subject here are some other eyes that were caught and released. The first one took at spook right at dark and actually JUMPED TWICE.

med_gallery_256_506_81972.jpg

spinnerbait eye

med_gallery_256_506_47368.jpg

this one took a frog at night off the dock

med_gallery_256_506_73666.jpg

Back to the bassin, and as you can see we were fighting the cold alot, look at how we are dressed in all these pictures...

med_gallery_256_506_193824.jpg

this fish was bleeding alot, but was hardly hooked in the top lip, we couldnt figure out how it was bleeding from the gills?

med_gallery_256_506_56724.jpg

Finally got a blue bird day, high winds and NO FISH though.

Gave up on bassin and caught 30 or more of these guys...

med_gallery_256_506_76565.jpg

Also this fiesty guy...for reference that bait is 1.5" long...

med_gallery_256_506_99841.jpg

Minnows off the dock at nighttime brought me these within 3 minutes of each other...

med_gallery_256_506_79235.jpg

med_gallery_256_506_43438.jpg

All things done, it was another amazing year.

Fishing was tougher than usual, but it challenged me on a lake that I know well, and I branched out for some other species that I dont usually fish. This is only a small sample, we did catch lots more bass that just didnt warrant a picture, and this was the first year in the last 6 that we did not land at least one 4lber.

Tight lines.

Edited by kemper

Can't complain about the quantity of fish you guys caught and a good variety I might say :D

There's some great lookin bass there and the eyes...... well I just lov'm :thumbsup_anim:

Great report kemper and thanks for sharing B)

Leechman

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a great weekend! Must be nice to be right on a Kawartha lake for an entire week! Looks like the bass and pickerel and crappie were co-operating. Good job!

Nice to have a family fishing vacation on Buckhorn, too bad about the weather at least you caught some fish.

I've noticed more bass of a smaller size up that way as well. Four or five lb. fish are less common last few years for sure.

Great report,

ehg

Spending a week up there eh. Ain't that nice, i wish that my family would do something like that. Very nice report kemper, seems that you almost caught every specie that swims in there.

walleye on a frog? lol that's interesting

Spending a week up there eh. Ain't that nice, i wish that my family would do something like that. Very nice report kemper, seems that you almost caught every specie that swims in there.

walleye on a frog? lol that's interesting

Try it out, off just about any dock in the kawarthas you can catch walleye on a frog at night, just make sure to check the regs because there is only one type of frog you are allowed to use as bait