Hey lew, guess what I caught!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillM

Finally finally FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Dad and I went out to Gloucester Pool tonight to try out my new rig (Shimano Calais 200 + St.Croix Avid 7") on some smallmouth bass.

Didn't hit the bass like we have other nights, I think we got 4 in the boat and missed atleast that many.. On our way back we stopped at a new spot I knew had some nice structure.. First cast netted me a 3lb smallie, a few casts later a monster bass rocketed right out of the water, completely missed my bait but gave us a good show none the less.. A few casts later with my Zara Spook Jr and the water just erupts and my rod doubles over...

All hell breaks loose as I try to tighten the drag down because this fish is running like mad.. I get it tightened down and start to make some headway.. Maybe 30 seconds later after some bulldogging she comes to the surface for a big headshake.. I yell out "HOLY IT'S A MUSKIE DAD!!!!!!!!!!!" He starts to yell at me, "Don't horse the wrong word thing!!!" lol!!! I get her coming towards the boat and one good scoop and she is in the net. Not a monster by any means, but atleast a new PB for me. We didn't get a measurement on her because I really wanted to get her back in the water, I would guess somewhere around 36" or so and maybe 10-12lbs.. Gorgeous fish, no marks at all and extremely feisty. Hooks popped out in the next, 2 quick pics with my cell phone (ugh, they turned out like crap) and back she went!

Here are some really crappy cell phone pics.. In the one pic she looks tiny for some reason :) The other not to bad. Even with the crappy pics, I sure you can see the big eating grin I have on my face. What a night!

musky2.jpg

musky.jpg

I wish I actually caught it while musky fishing with all the new gear I've picked up in the last 6 months, but I'll take it any way I can.

My PB before this was all of 12 inches, lol..

I'll have to hit Balsam again soon, and maybe Pigeon. I am itching to get some slime on my musky setups!

Bill we should go explore the Moon River Delta. I have never fished it, only seen it from GBay. But its worth a shot.

Yeah, I think the Moon/French River delta is probably one of the best places to pick up a giant.

I'm ready anytime, just let me know :)

Great job Bill

I knew you would not wait until the weekend to get a workout on the reel and new rod. That reel is smooth eh? Also a good test for the drag on the reel.

Keep the reports coming in.

Jose

No Cliff, it is a musky but it has been put in with photoshop. A little less on the blur effect and I might have believed you Bill. I guess it wouldn't count anyways because your were bass fishing :whistling::P

CONGRATS MAN!!!! Nice to get that monkey off your back. :thumbsup_anim: And yes, it counts!

Guest Johnny Bass

Congrats on your first Musky of the season! Those are weird pictures. Looks like 2 totally different Musky! Blurry pictures are better than no pictures!! Thanks for sharing!