Kind of a weird momment

Cudz

Coming home from fishing last night we were stopped by the ride program. He asked the usual questions and because we had a boat in the back of the pickup he asked if we were fishing. We said yes and he asked if we had licences. My friend thought he said lights (as in on the boat) and he replies "we stopped fishing from the boat when it got dark and fished from the shore". The officer was confused and "what does that matter?" After the confusion was sorted out he made us produce our fishing licences. I questioned him about showing our fishing licences and he said "why do you think that is weird that I am asking for your licences?". I reply in a kind of smartass tone (sorry to police officers on OFC) "Because we are not fishing". He said "you do have fish though" and we replied "no, we let them all go". He said thanks have a good evening and we went on our way.

He never asked for any divers licences, just fishing. I think it is great that he did this but at the same time it was odd and funny. I will have to post a pic of the pickup truck and you will see why he kept us there so long.

Guest Johnny Bass

I think its great that the cops are lending a hand to catch poachers. Fish are one of Canada's great resources and they should be protected.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Police officers can enforce the exact same laws as Conservation Officers. They don't usually, but its nice to see that some try. I know on Georgian Bay here, the CO goes out with the OPP on a daily basis, but I have seen the OPP enforce without the CO's on board.

I think its great.

Yes the police can enforce provincial laws like our fishing reg's, but as far as I know, you don't need a fishing license to tow a boat with fishing gear in it. And because you're not fishing or are in any possession of sports fish, you do not need to produce a license when asked by an officer. In the end, this incidence didn't seem to do any harm. But I was watching a show that had a defense lawyer, and he recommended giving as little info as possible if the police are suspecting you did something. He was saying we have certain obligations, such as producing a drivers license when we are stopped on the road (or a fishing license when fishing), but if the police officers asks us other questions, we often don't have to answer and answering may be to our detriment. If a police officer asks if you were fishing earlier, I doubt you have any obligation to answer that. You probably could've just given your drivers license because you were driving and that's it.

Bottom line is if you didnt do anything wrong then there is no reason not to give your fishing licence to the police officer.

Lets say you didnt catch any fish and stopped to Costco on the way home and bought some trout.

If Police officer asked to check your trunk and found 10 trouts from Costco sitting in a bag would you get in trouble??

How would you proove that the fish sitting in your trunk is from costco?

Yes the police can enforce provincial laws like our fishing reg's, but as far as I know, you don't need a fishing license to tow a boat with fishing gear in it. And because you're not fishing or are in any possession of sports fish, you do not need to produce a license when asked by an officer. In the end, this incidence didn't seem to do any harm. But I was watching a show that had a defense lawyer, and he recommended giving as little info as possible if the police are suspecting you did something. He was saying we have certain obligations, such as producing a drivers license when we are stopped on the road (or a fishing license when fishing), but if the police officers asks us other questions, we often don't have to answer and answering may be to our detriment. If a police officer asks if you were fishing earlier, I doubt you have any obligation to answer that. You probably could've just given your drivers license because you were driving and that's it.

Rule #1 - Don't believe everything you see on TV :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not about obligations. Its about being courteous and respectful (both ways).

If you wanna be dink, I'm sure they can be a bigger dink. :thumbsup_anim:

The OPP can and will arrest you if you have done some illegal fishing. Best be polite to the guy with the taser and the gun.

In the spring the OPP are on just about every ramp around the BOQ

Police can only have CO authority if the body of water is in their jurisdiction. Next time ask the cop what his jurisdiction is.

The whole concept is ridiculous. I fish at my cottage. I always leave my fishing license there when I come home. I also tow my boat for repairs etc. Unless I am mistaken, there is no obligation on my part, when not fishing, to actually have the license with me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The whole concept is ridiculous. I fish at my cottage. I always leave my fishing license there when I come home. I also tow my boat for repairs etc. Unless I am mistaken, there is no obligation on my part, when not fishing, to actually have the license with me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know aboot you... but if I've got my britches on, I have my license! :whistling:

If I want to stop by the side of the road and fish I can, if someone ivites me on an impromptu fishing trip... I am sooo there! :Gonefishing:

You might be a Redneck if you've used a fishing license as a form of I.D... guilty as charged! :rolleyes:

Rule #1 - Don't believe everything you see on TV :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not about obligations. Its about being courteous and respectful (both ways).

If you wanna be dink, I'm sure they can be a bigger dink. :thumbsup_anim:

I wouldn't refute it solely because it was on TV. I think the advantage in not divulging info when not obliged to is one of information asymetry. If you're clean and you get a "good" cop, giving information or not leads to the same outcome. If you're dirty and you get a "good" or "bad" cop, giving information is probably not the best thing to do, and will also lead to the same demise. And if you're clean and you get a "bad" cop, I'd still take my chances and withhold information and let the courts decide, as it might not be difficult to prove I'm clean. Regardless if a defence lawyer on TV says so or not, I think one often has very little to gain and much to lose when giving out info. Just a thought.

Police can only have CO authority if the body of water is in their jurisdiction. Next time ask the cop what his jurisdiction is.

I'm not a lawyer, but doesn't that only apply to municipal offences (like parking) and not provincial ones (like fishing)?

Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure what the law requires if you were transporting sportfish you caught at the cottage back home. Maybe someone can clarify that?

Edited by fishinggeek

Bottom line is if you didnt do anything wrong then there is no reason not to give your fishing licence to the police officer.

Lets say you didnt catch any fish and stopped to Costco on the way home and bought some trout.

If Police officer asked to check your trunk and found 10 trouts from Costco sitting in a bag would you get in trouble??

How would you proove that the fish sitting in your trunk is from costco?

Lets say you went to Costco and bought some fish to take home, what's the proceedure for leaving the store, go through the check-out, pay, cashier gives you a receipt, oh ya, blow my nose with that and throow it away :wallbash:

So a police officer is trying to do his job (Ride program I think you said), he engages you in a bit of conversation, simple enough question "can I see your fishing license?" What is the big deal, he didn't threaten to charge you or anything. Man I'd really hate to be a cop; do your job and everyone rabid dogs, don't do your job and everyone rabid dogs.

Unless he was undually agressive or used excessive force then get over it and be thankfull that there are people out there that do try to serve and protect.

Coming home from fishing last night we were stopped by the ride program. He asked the usual questions and because we had a boat in the back of the pickup he asked if we were fishing. We said yes and he asked if we had licences. My friend thought he said lights (as in on the boat) and he replies "we stopped fishing from the boat when it got dark and fished from the shore". The officer was confused and "what does that matter?" After the confusion was sorted out he made us produce our fishing licences. I questioned him about showing our fishing licences and he said "why do you think that is weird that I am asking for your licences?". I reply in a kind of smartass tone (sorry to police officers on OFC) "Because we are not fishing". He said "you do have fish though" and we replied "no, we let them all go". He said thanks have a good evening and we went on our way.

He never asked for any divers licences, just fishing. I think it is great that he did this but at the same time it was odd and funny. I will have to post a pic of the pickup truck and you will see why he kept us there so long.

Perhaps he was engaging you in a conversation to determine if you had been drinking or not.