How many bass per hour of fishing?

oncogene

How many bass do you guys get per hour usually get on average in an ok-ish outing?

How many will u consider it an excellent day?

I'm only a shore-fishing person myself.. and new at fishing. An average outing will be getting 1 bass (~1lb+ with senko) per hour. Anything more, like last thursday when I got 4 bass in 1-1/2 hr, is like a super day for me. I see reports here where ppl are getting 10s or dozens of bass in a day... and seems ppl saying those numbers are ok outing. .... and I never even gotten more than 4 bass in a day lol!

Edited by oncogene

Hey dude,

Fishing from shore I've rarely had any better days than you. 1 to 2 fish days were common. ( unless I was carp fishing) Having the ability to fish from my little boat has given me the ability to go where the fish are. So now 20 or more fish in a few hours is common (albeit not all the fish are always very big! haha) I've also learnt alot in the past couple of years.

I'd say average outing, 4 hours of fishing would be 20 to 30 largemouth. With ALOT of fish in the 1lb range. But hey, there's been times this year when I have to work just to get a half dozen. And I think it all depends on what you're looking for. Catching 20 largemouth doesn't seem to be much trouble, but catching 6 crappie is near impossible for me! haha

Cheers,

UF

Sheesh, 20 fish an hour? I'd take that any day.. I would my our average (Dad and I) would be about 4 or so. It really depends on the conditions.. We went out last night to Gloucester for a few hours and hauled in 8 fish, and missed atleast that many in about 3 hrs, lol.

Sheesh, 20 fish an hour? I'd take that any day.. I would my our average (Dad and I) would be about 4 or so. It really depends on the conditions.. We went out last night to Gloucester for a few hours and hauled in 8 fish, and missed atleast that many in about 3 hrs, lol.

dude I said 20 to 30 fish in 4 hours! Usually closer to 20, so like 5 fish per hour. Keep in mind that largemouth are pretty much at the top of the food chain in my "home lake". The only way I'm catching 20 fish in an hour is if I'm fishin' bluegill! haha There's so many of them where I fish you can catch them on crank baits all day long.

Cheers,

UF

I dont really go bass fishing much just two places really. One is relatively close to home and is wading a river and the other is at my camp when I need a break from musky fishing. Both places I would onsider it slow if I wasnt getting at least 4 fish an hour with 6 being the norm

I'm a happy camper if I don't get skunked. But, on my fishing trip to Gowganda last month, a buddie and mine hit a back lake and landed over 120 smallies in six hours and lost as many if not more. It was literally a bite for every cast, simply incredible. This reminds me, I should write up my report, LOL.

I don't have an average per hour for bass.... I go by the whole trip while could be 2 hrs to 5 hrs depending on the time demands I have on me for the rest of the day. I think this way because with bass it can be non stop at certains times then long lulls between fish especially where I tend to go. So I figure if I get 6 to 10 fish in an outing it is OK. Over ten doing all right. Over 20 I will stay all NIGHT LOL.

As an example Saturday before last 30+ smallies with 5 largies in just over 2 hours. Same spot last Saturday virtually the same amout of time 7 Smallies 3 Largies both days were equally satisfying in their own way though. The first Saturday was great because I was just nailing something all the time. The second Saturday was great because I knew they would be off the feedbag once the storm rolled through so finding and enticing fish to hit at all was hugely rewarding.

Not too much into bass at all. But look on the bright side. I was up in the Kawarthas for 6 days (I posted the pics a few days ago here). Total of 4 fish landed 1 lost 1 follow.

So that roughly eaquals based on a 12-13 hour day : 1 fish for every 18.75 hours fished.

So you shouldnt feel bad. :huh:

I'm a happy camper if I don't get skunked. But, on my fishing trip to Gowganda last month, a buddie and mine hit a back lake and landed over 120 smallies in six hours and lost as many if not more. It was literally a bite for every cast, simply incredible. This reminds me, I should write up my report, LOL.

Dude, I went to that lake as well. About a 20-30 minute, cab bouncing ride dodging huge jack rabbits in their F-350 supercab listening to Guns and Roses? Awsome lake. I'm looking forward to that report.

Sometimes it's Bass Per Hour... and other times it's Hours Per Bass.

My best ever was 24 in an hour... but that was cheating. We were in a rock quarry that had been abandoned for 5 yrs. and then reopened and pumped back down form about 15 acres to 1 acre. We used live minnows and slayed them!!! All between 2-3 lbs.!!!

My buddy Lester the Coonass only caught 8 because he was tryin' to be greedy and use 2 poles, every time he'd be tryin' to bait the second rod... a fish would steal his minnow on the first rod!!! :w00t:

It is the day I like to refer to as "The day Lester dashed his Zebco 202 to smithers on the boulder rip rap...

I'll expand on this at Lakair in Sept. ... so I can watch the expressions on his face as I tell it for the umpteenth time.

... other days, it's Skunkville! :wallbash:

Dude, I went to that lake as well. About a 20-30 minute, cab bouncing ride dodging huge jack rabbits in their F-350 supercab listening to Guns and Roses? Awsome lake. I'm looking forward to that report.

I wish we had a ride, 'coz we had to haul in the motor and all our gear over the hills for half an hour. Different lakes, probably. Mine was Hangingstone, above the fall in the main lake.

How many bass do you guys get per hour usually get on average in an ok-ish outing?

I'm only a shore-fishing person myself.. and new at fishing. An average outing will be getting 1 bass (~1lb+ with senko) per hour. Anything more, like last thursday when I got 4 bass in 1-1/2 hr, is like a super day for me. I see reports here where ppl are getting 10s or dozens of bass in a day... and seems ppl saying those numbers are ok outing. .... and I never even gotten more than 4 bass in a day lol!

we were docked in westport (upper rideau) The kids and I were fishing off the dock into the pads and shallows, we landed three decent basss in the 1.5 hours we fished. while we were fishing a couple of guys pulled in on there bass boat (stumped it before they let the electric down) they were landing fish so fast that we didn't even dorp our lines in while they were there. We just watched in awe as these caught and released at least 20 fish in the 1/2 our they were there. it was a bit discouraging but it was great entertainment to see the pros at work!!

I think the ratio really comes down to the water you're fishing. Especially if you're fishing from shore like you said you were. But one thing I'll suggest you try to do is cover more water and fish something alittle faster than a senko...at least to start. Next time maybe start off with a spinnerbait or a crankbait. If you're fishing in the morning or evening try a buzzbait. Work a section of the shore with a reaction type bait and target the aggressive fish first. But let the fish tell you what they want. If you have no takers and the fish dont seem active then go back to where you started and re-work that area with a senko or a jig. This is exactly what I did tonight. Started with a buzz but they didn't want it so I switched to a jig and they started hammering it. Caught 1 in 30 mins throwing the buzz and then 10 in an hour using the jig. They were mostly dinks, biggest was maybe 2lbs. But 2 weeks ago I fished the same area with a buzzbait and didn't have to switch because they were aggressive and I caught probably 20 in 2 hours.

we were docked in westport (upper rideau) The kids and I were fishing off the dock into the pads and shallows, we landed three decent basss in the 1.5 hours we fished. while we were fishing a couple of guys pulled in on there bass boat (stumped it before they let the electric down) they were landing fish so fast that we didn't even dorp our lines in while they were there. We just watched in awe as these caught and released at least 20 fish in the 1/2 our they were there. it was a bit discouraging but it was great entertainment to see the pros at work!!

I think the catch rate in Ontario is higher than we have down here, largely due to the angling pressure on our lakes. I compiled some stats from our 2005 creel data (10 lakes) to compare.

Best Lake – 1.4 bass / hour

2nd best – .9 bass / hour

Avg for good lakes – about .7

Overall average – around .5 bass / hour.

I've been fishing one of the "good" lakes this year, and probably average .75 to 1 bass / hour.

What he said. The only time I target bass is taking a canoe into back lakes, and then I only count the fish over 20". 1 or 2 a day is a good outing.

Ofcourse somebody swiped my canoe and I've gone out twice after bass around Hamilton from shore. Late spring, they're still guarding fry in the shallows, skunked both times.

Having a small boat increases your odds exponentially, even just around your shore spots.

I found the responses interesting because I don't fish bass (the line for bass in lakes is south of here about 75 miles) so Iwas wondering what makes it so popular for most of the guys on this site.

When I was a kid growing up in Brantford, I would go to the Grand River at the end of my street and fish from the bank for hours and usually end up getting 2 or 3. I always thought that was good.

However, when I moved north, I hadn't fished for years and when I got back into it everything up here was walleye. Although I was living on Lake of the woods, the emphasis was walleye, then over the course of the past 20 years the swing has gone to bass in that area. A buddy of mine owns a sporting good shop in Sioux Narrows and he told me that in the 1970s he sold 95% of his stock for walleye, now he sells that percentage of stock for bass.

As to what is good fish rate per hour. I can only talk walleye, Here in the Red Lake area, a good day is usually 80 to 100 per day.

last sunday the wife and I went out for 2 hours and caught over 40 walleye. Today I was out for 2 hours and had to work to get 10.