Fly In Trip

fishless

hello al

we are looking at gathering info f or a flyin.northern ontario will drive to wawa and then fly.we have no idea of good operators we would like some input,as you only turn 50 once.any help would be apprecieted.we will target walleye,trout.thanks jamie.ps email is available :dunno:

In that area I've flown a bunch of times with Hawk Air out of Hawk Junction about 30km east of Wawa. The lakes are mostly on the smaller side, but are generally very good fishing, and unlike a lot of the lakes north and east of there which are mostly shallow, featureless, "dishpan" lakes typical of the James Bay lowlands, these lakes are generally a bit more rocky, clear and deep with more typical Canadian shield terrain. Most of their lakes are Walleye and Pike lakes, but they do have some Brook Trout and Lake Trout lakes as well. I can personally recommend Duffy, Wejin, Little Missinaibi Pichogen and Puskuta for Walleye and Pike, and Mcrea and South Greenhill for Brookies. Below is a pic of a decent pike I caught in Pichogen a few years back..... good luck!

014.jpg

Can't really help you out here, but a friend of mine's cousin just turned 50 and his brother gave him a fly in fishing trip to Great Bear Lake NWT in July. He was pretty stoked to say the least.

Hope you find a good place.

Maureen

I think I'm taking a party of four to Booi's Lodge on Trout Lake, northeast of Red Lake, for lake trout, pike and walleye. We'll fly to Winnipeg, then drive to Red Lake, about five hours. I'll know for sure on the weekend.

Edited by douG

Actually, that pike was caught in mid-Sept when it was probably as fat and robust as it would ever get. The forage base in most of those small lakes is restricted to Walleye and Perch which makes growing big pike pretty difficult. Anharea Lake (another of Hawk Air's lakes) is one notable exception. It's a deep, clear, lake trout/pike lake, with a substantial whitefish population as well. Lots of juicy, high protein soft-finned forage! I would say that in general, catching a really big pike in any of those lakes is more of a fluke than anything. If you really want to target them up there it's pretty much a seasonal fishery: be the first group in there in May when they open, and fish the typical early spring pike spots.....They're all very consistent walleye lakes however, which is what I primarily fly in for up there anyway.