Heads up for Navionics Hotmaps Premium 2007 Canada owners

Guest Lundboy is Done

Guest lundboy

I was out on Balsam lake on Saturday with my HotMaps Premium 2007 Canada in my Lowrance 332c.

I noticed that the depths were all wrong. All were over by anywhere from 20 to 50 feet. So if I was in 6' of water according to the sonar and paper chart, the Hotmaps said 26 feet.

When I got home I sent an email to Navionics customer service and they replied saying they would reprogram it for the cost of shipping to US. Return is free only in the US, so I don't know how much I be charged for that.

This could add up to be quite expensive from past experience with UPS across the border.

So if anyone has Hotmaps Premium 2007 Canada, you might want to talk to Navionics.

(BTW the Great Lakes East Gold is fine)

I was out on Balsam lake on Saturday with my HotMaps Premium 2007 Canada in my Lowrance 332c.

I noticed that the depths were all wrong. All were over by anywhere from 20 to 50 feet. So if I was in 6' of water according to the sonar and paper chart, the Hotmaps said 26 feet.

When I got home I sent an email to Navionics customer service and they replied saying they would reprogram it for the cost of shipping to US. Return is free only in the US, so I don't know how much I be charged for that.

This could add up to be quite expensive from past experience with UPS across the border.

So if anyone has Hotmaps Premium 2007 Canada, you might want to talk to Navionics.

What about taking it back to the place that sold it to you? There has got to be a place up here that will do warranty work.

UPS will charge $25 as a brokarage fee.....there would not be duty or taxes.

Forrest

I had the same experience with a Navionics Gold East Great Lakes chip two years ago. It had errors in depth all over Nottawasaga Bay. I reported them and was told I would have to either send them the old chip and wait 6 weeks for reprogramming (basically the whole summer), OR, buy a new one from them and ship the old one back and they woud refund the price I paid for the new one. Sounds good says I.

BUT, little did I know that I had to pay for shipping the old one back AND pay for brokerage to get the replacement into Canada. AND (it gets even better), VISA charges you a high rate to translate the US purchase and refunds you back on the credit card at a much lower rate. In the end I would have been better off to sell the old chip at a huge discount to someone not needing Nottawasaga depths and just buy a new one here in Canada. Also, Navionics was not pleasant to deal with at all. I had to argue to get a replacement chip since they said I was the first to report the errors (Nottawasaga is not 400 ft deep so I think others must have ignored the obvious errors).

If possible those always use Canada Post and United States Postal Service for cross border shipments. How can UPS charge you a brokerage fee on something was of Canadian origin and just having warranty work done on it? In the past I have items repaired in the U.S. and I didn't pay the rip-off brokerage fee. I argued it had already been imported when I bought it. Never heard about it from UPS after that.... YMMV though.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Guest lundboy
I was out on Balsam a few weeks ago and my Navionics Gold+ map was dead nuts on...

Yep my gold map chip was fine for balsam too. I checked it when I got home.

Guest lundboy
If possible those always use Canada Post and United States Postal Service for cross border shipments. How can UPS charge you a brokerage fee on something was of Canadian origin and just having warranty work done on it? In the past I have items repaired in the U.S. and I didn't pay the rip-off brokerage fee. I argued it had already been imported when I bought it. Never heard about it from UPS after that.... YMMV though.

Oh I know all about UPS brokerage fees, Fedex isn't much better. There have been a lot of companies I decided not to buy from (when ordering online) because they refuse to ship by US Postal Service (one is Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap) It would have cost me $55 for 2 Rat-L-Traps. I think they get some kinda kick back from UPS to not use USPS.

With UPS Canada I have even had them (try) to charge me for brokerage fees AND a delivery fee to finish the delivery from their bonded warehouse at Jane and Steeles with a package coming from the US. I argued with them saying the delivery was FULLY paid from the point of origin. They refused and I ended up having to pickup the package. UPS Canada basically holds your packages for ransom.

One time I told them to send a package back, because I wasn't going to pay the brokerage or "final destination fee". It magically arrived at my door with no fees whatsoever about 2 days later.

Edited by lundboy

Am I missing something here? They screw up the info on the chip, but YOU have to absorb the cost of getting it fixed up? Seems something is amiss here!

On another note, I purchased a Trak Maps program for my Garmin that covers Balsam Lake and a few others. The detail was great, but the map data was over 20 years out of date! I wrote to them and told them that the software showed features , boat canals, and buildings that have not been there for 20 years. I knew this area very well (Lake Dalrymple) and all they said was, "is there anything else you noticed?" LOL

Must be nice to do business in this manner and still survive!

Guest lundboy

Here is what Navionics said:

"This issue that you are having was an issue in 2007 that was corrected on the 2008 version of the chart. You have a couple of options to update your chart:

1) Receive a Return Authorization # to send in your chart to be re-programmed. The replacement chart will be shipped back to you via UPS Ground (in the US) at no charge for shipping or the replacement chart. We do, however, require a signature upon delivery. If a quicker method of shipping is required, you will be responsible for shipping costs.

2) Have the replacement chart shipped out first, we will bill a MasterCard or Visa or American Express for the chart, and receive a Return Authorization # to send back your chart for the credit. Again, we require a signature upon delivery.

We will need your contact information; mailing address, daytime phone # & a shipping address (we require a signature upon delivery of the chart and ship UPS or FedEx – UPS Ground at no charge in the US) along with the information on your chart. If you choose option #2, we will need a MasterCard or Visa or American Express # along with the expiration date, for MC or Visa the 3 digit # on the back of the card or for AmEx the 4 digit # on the front of the card and the full name on the card. You may contact the Customer Service Department and let us know which option is best for you and then we can start processing the return. Please refer to this e-mail. You may handle this with any of our Customer Service Staff. "

These companies like to sell stuff in Canada, obviously there is a big enough market here. But not big enough for them to open an office and handle things like this locally. The least they could do since they pumped out defective product, is pay the shipping into Canada if I pay the shipping down.

Oh well they are doing more than I expected.

Edited by lundboy

Here is what Navionics said:

"This issue that you are having was an issue in 2007 that was corrected on the 2008 version of the chart. You have a couple of options to update your chart:

1) Receive a Return Authorization # to send in your chart to be re-programmed. The replacement chart will be shipped back to you via UPS Ground (in the US) at no charge for shipping or the replacement chart. We do, however, require a signature upon delivery. If a quicker method of shipping is required, you will be responsible for shipping costs.

Try this tell that you REQUIRE United States Postal Service shipping and will gladly pay the cost that way your brokerage fee is only going to be 5 bucks if it gets inspected that is but no tax because it was already a Canadian product LOL. Sometimes you have to play with their mind a bit...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lundboy

Update:

I mailed the chip down to them, registered insured Canada Post $12. It took 15 days to get to Navionics. It took 2 days by UPS back from Navionics no extra charges!

So I'm extremely happy with Navionics' customer service. They admitted the problem, and sent me a brand new Hotmaps Premium Canada 2008 chip no charge. Never even asked for a receipt copy.

Very good service.

:thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the update,i will check mine out as mine is the gold 2007 !!! so far any of the lakes i have been on have been right on the money but,that could be a very expensive mistake,or even worse,hit a shoal or rock pile thats not supposed to be there and kill yourself !!!!! thanks bud

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lundboy
cool, good to hear it all worked out for you in the end. Does it have 4 mile lake on it?

Just had a chance to check the Hotmaps 2008, nope no Four Mile Lake.