Young pike or Tiger Musky

Zubris21

Hey guys.... I was taking a look at some friends photos and came across this picture... My initial thought was that it was a pike due to the dark greenish colour, then I started to look at the markings and they look pretty banded, especially at the tail, and I started to wonder if it might be a young tiger musky, altough it does seem like a few spots were developing. I'm not sure how the colouring of young pike develops, but the banding on this fish almost make it look like a young Tiger musky. As I've never fished for musky the only way I know how to identify them is by their markings/colour/size. Two questions are there any other ways to distinguish a pike from a musky ie. fin location/shape or anything else, and second which species is this?

n48917802_40920957_6340.jpg

Edited by freshwaterfanatic

The musky is light-colored with dark vertical bars, no scales on the lower part of its gill plate, and has 6 or more sensory pores on each side of its lower jaw. Muskies also have pointed caudal, pelvic, and pectoral fins.

The northern pike is dark-colored with light spots, has scales on the lower part of its gill plate, and has 6 or less pores on each side of its lower jaw. Pikes also have rounded caudal, pelvic, and pectoral fins.

The tiger musky has irregular light vertical markings on a dark background, 5-7 pores on each side of its lower jaw, and scales on the lower part of the gill plate.

The picture that you have posted makes me think it is a pike also.

Tom