My first Catfish

I tried fishing for bass on the Maitland last weekend to no avail... the river was full of grass and I did not have access to the private marina.

So, i headed down to "the muddy Bayfield River" and got a few small bass and this catfish (23 inch and about 6-8 lbs).

All on a worm floating about 10' below the surface.

I had no idea these cats could scrap like a dog either>>>

IMG_5053.jpg

Just might try it again. lol

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

nice going, try that out at night time and I bet you can get some real hogs :Gonefishing:

i was wondering about that too..

I like night fishing alot as the crowds are fewer .

Any suggestions for going after these would be appreciated by all.

Thanks again

Splashhopper

i was wondering about that too..

I like night fishing alot as the crowds are fewer .

Any suggestions for going after these would be appreciated by all.

Thanks again

Splashhopper

Get some fresh chicken livers to use for bait at night, or fresh cut bait like sucker or mooneye.

try a good slip sinker rig, cuz sometimes the big cats will drop your bait as soon as they feel any tension on the line.

If you use big dewies, instead of putting the whole thing on the hook, load up a hook with a couple worms but break them all up into little pieces and put on the hook making a scent trail. Also, big channel cats can be preditorial as well and big chubs work great for catching them too, or try some cut bait out. Chicken livers can work well too, but not so well if you have to castfar for the fish cuz they come off, you gotta sorta "lob cast" them..also try adding some garlic powder to you baits as well

try a good slip sinker rig, cuz sometimes the big cats will drop your bait as soon as they feel any tension on the line.

If you use big dewies, instead of putting the whole thing on the hook, load up a hook with a couple worms but break them all up into little pieces and put on the hook making a scent trail. Also, big channel cats can be preditorial as well and big chubs work great for catching them too, or try some cut bait out. Chicken livers can work well too, but not so well if you have to castfar for the fish cuz they come off, you gotta sorta "lob cast" them..also try adding some garlic powder to you baits as well

Thanks for the tip JWL and Greencoachdog

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice cat! My quest for a big channel cat brought me all the way to the mouth of the Saugeen. Unfortunately I only caught sheep head, but there are some big kitties in those lake Huron tributaries. Thanks for sharing!

a little tip for the chicken liver, is to tie it up in a piece of panty hose, or like a roe bag. it helps hold it on your hook and still lets the scent go out so the fish will find it. best of luck, big cats can be big time fun.

jason

Congratulations on the nice Channel Cat they are fun to catch and are very good for the table too. Most of the channel Cats that are between 2 and 8 lb are excellent deep fried or broiled with your favorite spices ( Mine is lemonjuice and black pepper with scallions and alittle butter wrapped in tinfoil).As with all fish the longer the fish lives the more of the waters chemicals it absorbs so keep the little eaters and release the big breeders.

Art

Nice cat! My quest for a big channel cat brought me all the way to the mouth of the Saugeen. Unfortunately I only caught sheep head, but there are some big kitties in those lake Huron tributaries. Thanks for sharing!

John, you want a kitty that bad,just give the notty a try at Wassaga in May.

Thats a nice cat there you got.Congrats.

If I'm not mistaken, Johnny got his big kitty in my neck of the woods a couple years back. ;) Wish I still had the pic, biggest cat I've seen since then at that spot too.

Edited by Rich

Guest Johnny Bass
If I'm not mistaken, Johnny got his big kitty in my neck of the woods a couple years back. ;) Wish I still had the pic, biggest cat I've seen since then at that spot too.

Sorry to hijack the thread but yes, Rich helped me end my quest for a monster cat. Still I will definitely consider giving the notty a try in May. PM me with a good launch Brian.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. It is a nice cat and I like big cats!

Congratulations on the nice Channel Cat they are fun to catch and are very good for the table too. Most of the channel Cats that are between 2 and 8 lb are excellent deep fried or broiled with your favorite spices ( Mine is lemonjuice and black pepper with scallions and alittle butter wrapped in tinfoil).As with all fish the longer the fish lives the more of the waters chemicals it absorbs so keep the little eaters and release the big breeders.

Art

Any other recipes out there for these.

My motherinlaw( deceased now) used to cook em up and my wife(Filipino) loved them, but does not know a recipe for them.

Thanks

Mr and Mrs Splashhopper

I barbecue them when they're under 5lbs.

Make sure you get off all the slime, wrap each fillet in tin foil and put the BBQ on low. I put a ton of lemon juice and whatever spices I'm in the mood for on the fillets. Usually turns out great.

Try to cut out the darker red meat close to the skin before eating. It tastes gross and apparently holds the majority of the pollutants.

i like wrapping a fillet in foil with butter and some lemon pepper seasoning. good on the grill or in the oven.

or

just use some cajun fish fry mix and deep fry it into chunks.

very delicious either way.

i would use an 8 lber or less though to eat.

jason

i like wrapping a fillet in foil with butter and some lemon pepper seasoning. good on the grill or in the oven.

or

just use some cajun fish fry mix and deep fry it into chunks.

very delicious either way.

i would use an 8 lber or less though to eat.

jason

So, between you and Rich, it seems that the "bake it in tinfoil" method is a common approach.

What side dish would we serve this with?

We are hoping to try this up at Bayfield next weekend, IF i get lucky enough to catch another one.

Thanks again OFC.

Splashhopper