An almost perfect Rice Lake Trip~

Steelcat

Weather was excellent at first, with light wind and partly cloudy sky. We arrived at our normal boat rental place at 530am. Got a chance to take this photo before getting our boat.

P6306891a.jpg

After everything was set, we immediately head to our usual spot. We were using spinnerbait and crankbait. To our surprise, it was very quite, no action at all until my brother caught a perch with a crankbait.

P6306893a.jpg

Then I felt a hit on my spinnerbait, set the hook and reel it in. Can you believe a bullhead likes spinner as well??

P6306894a.jpg

As time passes with not much action (well we did managed to catch several 10 inches to 14 inches Largemouth). We decided to head to other spots. While we were on our way to the spot, the wind started to pick up, wave started to get rough as well. After we drop anchor at the spot, I immediate caught a nice 18 inches Largemouth.

P6306897a.jpg

It gave me a very nice fight with several jumps.

Since the wave and wind was pretty strong, our anchor wasn't able to hold our boat on the spot, we slowly drifted parallel the shoreline, and we managed to catch several more Largemouth from 12 to 15 inches.

Eventually the area went "dead" and we explored some other new places. We caught sunfish, lots of rockbass, several very tiny largemouth and smallmouth (9 inches).

At 1pm, we decided to get lazy and wanted to use jig/grub under a float. We arrived at a spot we have never tried before, and when we arrived, there were a couple boats working along the shoreline pretty far away, so we drop anchor just a little over two boat lenght away from shore and started to fish. We didn't expect anything big, we were just trying to catch several rockbass for my auntie. After 10 minutes of casting our jig+float, my float sank slowly and moved sideway. I set the hook and the fight began~! It was another 18 inches Largemouth.

P6306906a.jpg

We were all pumped by now. Almost immediately after that, I got another hit. This fight was even crazier because it's a 19 inches Smallmouth.

P6306899a.jpg

After catching those two nice fish, we realized there's a boat trolling around 100 metre away right side of us (we were facing the shoreline fishing inwards with a bright float). Since the distance between our boat and the shoreline was really close, and we were casting our float toward the shoreline, we thought the person in the incoming boat would pass behind us. To our surprise, instead of turning away from shore, he increased speed and turned toward and parallel the shoreline. He wasn't fishing at all while he was approaching. We warned him about our line and the extremely close distance between his boat and ours, but he ignored us by looking forward and a little away from us. As his trolling motor almost hit our line, we warned him once again. This time with his face still facing forward trying to avoid eye contact with us, he said "I don't see any float or line" then continue passing right between us and the shoreline. I really think he's ticked that I caught "his" fish.

P6306901a.jpg

Maybe he thought he was the "LEGEND" :lol:

We got cut off last year by another tourney angler. Pretty much the same way you did.I spoke my peace and he left. No fish for him.

Oh, that cat catch,you must of been retrieving way to slow.LOL J/K

Nice report and catch.

Edited by misfish

Nice looking bass! :clapping:

Ahh boating and manners. Things like this are going to happen. Cliff and I recently experienced this phenom for the first time. We pulled back slightly, let the guys go on and then resumed catching fish. I choose to remember the experience with humour.....we were getting steady hits while we watched them work the area over and they never did seem to boat anything :thumbsup_anim: Karma

Nice report, fish, and pics!!! :thumbsup_anim:

You run into those kind of :asshat: -holes every once in a while, my favorite is when they run between you and the shore at WOT!!!... always makes me weave a tapestry of obscenities that lingers in the area for aboot a decade! :angry:

That guy is an idiot..

Almost seems like the jackass in the 50k bass boat that decided he had to zip by my dad and I within feet as we were fishing a flat near the channel out on Little lake on the weekend..

I was so close to tossing out my TopRaider and filling his prop with 80lb Power Pro.

Guest Johnny Bass

Some guys think they own the lakes......Still sounds like you had a great day and caught some decent fish!

I've caught catfish on grubs, spinners, spoons, Husky jerks, ect... Its not common but it happens.

Sorry to hear about the basshole... I know how you feel, I have had people literally troll circles around me :) ohh and we were still catching fish and they got NOTHING! Glad to hear it was almost perfect other than that mishap, some nice bass!

Great report! Nice bass and the bullhead on a spinnerbait, who'da thunk?

As for that guy, unfortunately there's one (or more) on every lake. On musky opener these guys were buried back in the slop near a point we were fishing. We moved up to the point and casted musky spinnerbaits and these "musky guys" (tossing grass frogs and plastic worms) motored up in between us and the point we were fishing angrily, which probably spooked every fish for miles. Like, they drove right up where we were casting. I overheard them talking about how we were so inconsiderate to "nab the spot they were going to fish". Sorry I don't read minds! I chucked a 2 oz spinnerbait about 5 inches from their boat and they nearly jumped out of their seats. LOL (obviously not the right thing to do.. but man they were rude. And I could have done a lot worse)

Edited by Rich

Quite a few nice fish for the day.

Not much you can do about guys like that, in popular waters. Or you can do what i do...pretend i'm doing something while drift in closer to them and blast out of there. not much you can do against deep trollers

There are a lot of dumbasses who do the fast fly-by passes in wide open water too...a lot of people don't realize they probably saw you pull in fish and marked the spot as they went by.

it would be so funny to have a forum category with stories and photos of butt heads.

good day fishing..

i wouldda cast a line right at that guy. just a blob of splitshots and bobbers right at him.

" o sorry. i didn't see you"

My choice is the big ol Super spooks, yea the ones with 3 big trebles weighing like an Oz.