After a dozen years, I think I might be back

jimvanm

Greets to all.

First post here, and it's been far too long since I've done a proper amount of fishing in any one year. I've been doing a bit of surfing on the web regarding fishing in Ontario, and ended up here. Looks like I found the right place to hang out :-)

When I met my wife, I stopped fishing the way I did when I was single. It wasn't so much that she was against it, but it wasn't of any interest to her, and there were so many other interesting things in life that I figured I could take a break for a summer and be none the worse off. Living in Toronto didn't help, since it isn't exactly easy to find a good fishing hole a few minutes drive away to just sneak off to for an hour or two.

A dozen years and three kids later, I'd only been fishing a half dozen times or so. It was starting to eat away at my soul. I knew this wasn't something I could give up for life. I needed to get back on the water.

I had always hoped that at least one of my kids would take to fishing, but I was reluctant to take them out when they were too young. Selfishness, fear of all the complaining ("I gotta go pee", "I'm bored"), whatever, I was just never able to talk myself into taking them out. But when my oldest boy turned 8, I decided the time was ripe. I had to know if one of my kids would fall in love.

Rather than trying some uncertain experiment off a dock somewhere, I decided that if I was going to hook him good, I was going to need to make a good presentation. I phoned up Rosedale Marina in the Kawarthas (located in the channel between Cameron Lake and Balsam lake), and booked one of their 14' Princecrafts (complete with a 25 horse on the back, livewell and a nice, stable, flat deck that just wants you to stand up and fish).

The_Boat.jpg

We headed East down the channel towards Lock 35 and Cameron lake. I'd caught my first and only Muskie in the Burnt River, and even though I was planning to focus on panfish, I figured just being back there would put me in the right frame of mind. It was a beautiful day; the one worry I had was that we hadn't managed to get any worms.

While heading down the channel my son said "Dad, why are we going so slow? This is boring". Then, when we were in the lock and the doors were closing, he said "This is kinda freaking me out". I started to wonder if I had made a mistake, but I told myself to just relax; the day was young.

The fishing was terrible. My son managed the first catch, a wee little Perch that was smaller than my hand. A few hours later we managed a fiesty little Rock Bass in the confluence of the Burnt River, and a little further up, Dad managed a Pickerel (yay). That was it. We were nearing the end of our rental time, and the wind was picking up.

But all that didn't matter, 'cause my boy said "Dad, I think fishing is my most favorite thing". I had this dream of getting him hooked with a day full of one panfish after another, but he did me one better and fell in love with the whole experience, fish or no fish.

So I'm back, and I got a new fishing buddy!

The_Boy.jpg

But I still want him to have the experience of pulling them out one after the other, and that little trip was over $200 after all was said and done. I have to find a place in the city where we can drive the car, hook up some worms, and catch us some panfish.

Any advice?

Welcome!! Great first post ! Tons of places to fish right in and around TO. Toronto Islands, Humber Bay Park, Grenadier Pond , Leslie St. spit to name a couple.

Thanks for taking me back! :D

Edited by verminator

Welcome Lootbag, as Verminator says, there's loads of places in the GTA to fish, we have plenty of people here that fish the area regularly. Simcoe is not far away either if you want something a little different, and neither is Scugog for that matter. Welcome back :D

Maureen

welcome aboard. There are actually lots and lots of fishing spots in and around Toronto, especially for carp and pike plus the salmon during the run. Search up "Urban Fishing Opportunities" in the MNR site and they've got some info.

It's great that your son is enjoying it out there, even only with a couple fish. I actually think that it's a good way to start, if he starts off catching fish after fish the first trip, that's what he'll expect for future trips. Don't worry, you guys will nail them next time! Looking forward to your next report with your son with more fish in the boat!

It's not exactly in the city but Heart Lake Conservation area in Brampton is a great place to bring a kid (and the whole family too) - about a 30 minute drive from downtown Toronto.

http://www.trca.on.ca/Website/TRCA/ParksAn...amp;Language=EN

You can fish for pan fish - lots of sunfish and rock bass, even Rainbow Trout and Largemouth Bass. You can also barbecue as there are many picnic areas. I would call them first to get up-to-date info (like time they are open, fees, amenities, etc...). Trout can be caught on powerbait (Canadian Tire) or canned corn, just fished off of bottom using a weight and hook and launched as far as you can. No doubt you will see others fishing exclusively for Trout but the panfish are plentiful right near shore.

Another choice is Glen Haffy on Airport Road - they have Rainbow Trout only which can be easily caught using small worms and hooks (salmon egg hooks work really well) fished under a bobber. I stress small (skinny) worms as the large dew worms they sell are in mind too big for the fish. I usually bring my 5 year old there for some fun and we always catch fish. There are also picnic/barbecure areas at this park too for the family to enjoy.

http://www.trca.on.ca/Website/TRCA/ParksAn...tpos=0&rsn=

Otherwise, if it is just for a couple of hours, then as mentioned before, Grenadier Pond at High Park is a good place.

Have fun - it's a great sport to enjoy with your child - as you already have noticed. Since I was about 4 up to this day, my father and I still spend loads of time fishing together. I am now 34. I must say that the sport has made our relationship ten times stronger. I feel that I have already developed the same bond with my 5 year old. This is evident when I return from a fishing outing that did not include him (for one reason or another) and he realizes it and asks "did you go fishing today? Or when I am preparing for an outing (ie. getting the gear ready, boat prepped, etc.. and he asks, "are you going fishing tomorrow?" Those are the hard times but at least I know he wants to go fishing and that it is not something that I am forcing on him (not that any kid would not want to go fishing). Anyway, bottom line is that we are now 3 generations enjoying the same sport together - it is truly great. So enjoy it.

Welcome back. Great story. You've come to the right place for help. Orangeville's Island lake conservation area is a good place for taking a kid. They have rental boats, canoes and kayaks. They have bass and pike as well as loads of panfish for the kiddies.

Hey there. What a fantastic first post! Glad to hear that you found your way back to the sport and able to share it with your son. We put a fishing rod in our daughter's hand when she was 4 and she loved it. When she was 5 we started taking her out in the canoe and boat. She caught her first walleye this year up on Sturgeon Lake.

Anyhow, many have already chimed in here....lot's of good advice. Here's a link to that info that Victor was talking about. When we got back into the sport (my wife and I took a 20 year break!), we used this as our guide!

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/STEL02_163569.pdf

Good luck out there!

Cliff

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent first post and welcome to the board! I remember my dad taking me out fishing when I was a kid and hope to pass the experience onto my kids on day.

One of the places my dad took me was Canal rd. Located about 20 Minutes up hwy 400. Fishing has died down but there is still lots of fish to be caught.Just fish to the right or the left of the bridge as you exit the hi way. between the trees to the left is best. Don't forget the worms!! Good luck!

What a great read. Welcome to your new home!!

A friendly reminder.. You need not travel far and spend much to find great fishing. It's right at your door step! figuratively speaking of course... ;)

For a measly $6.50 a person, you can take the ferry across the Islands and have a gander at all kinds of species.

hope to see you out on the water.

cheers

HD