Ford Ranger......opinions please

jigger08

Certainly lots of them on the road, but, so small that a much more practical car will probably carry everything it can, and be better on gas. Unless you need the 4x4....still pretty small for a truck though. With the declining prices of trucks these days, you could probably find a better sized used truck out there. Like on the OFC classifieds, for example. Or my car lot :)

Good little truck hard on gas when pushed ..same as any compact truck ... very reliable and pretty cheap to fix...Mazda B series trucks are the same ...domestic imports like this ones are cheaper to fix that most of the competition.

had one. when i traded it in, i asked why the trade in is so low, the stealership said, its a ford! glad to get rid of it. enough said.

You could probably substitute any brand in that quote. What did you expect them to say?

"It's a Chevy so we'll give you double face value"? They're out to rip you off for every penny that they can. Of course they are gonna low ball your trade in.

If you want a truck I don't think you'll go wrong with a Ranger, been around for a long, long time as stated the newer ones are a Mazda.

I'd go with the 4.0 liter motor over the 3.0

see too many 3.0l motors in the shop

As for the reliability of the 3 litre? I have a 97 Aerostar which is the older Ford Ranger platform with a 3 litre and it has 292,000 kms on the clock and every one of them driven by myself, wife or son. Knock on wood no problems so far except for the oil leak that just recently developed. My mechanic says they are bulletproof and he is an ex-Ford dealer grease monkey. Plenty of parts are available for Rangers and in comparison they are probably cheaper than the Mazda twin.

Edited by pikehunter

I have a 2004 extended cab, edge, 3.0L, auto, 2x4 with 95,000km. Great little truck. Pulls fine and is rated up to 2500lbs. No problems/issues with mine, yet. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Handles nicely off road on rough terrain. Mine isn't 4x4 so I can't comment on that.

The 3.0L is known to be a great motor. Its often called the "cockroach" because you can't kill it. If you actually see more 3.0L's in the shop its because there are so many more of them than 4.0L's.

Fuel economy isn't great. I get consistently 18 (US) mpg or 13 L/100km. Worst was 15 mpg or 16 L/100km when towing and best was highway 24 mpg or 10 L/100km. Hopefully, the Ranger's replacement in 2010 will come with the (European) 3.0L diesel.

There are only two things about them I don't like. The seat doesn't have a height adjustment, which is slightly annoying if you are +6'. And there isn't much space behind the front seats.

My 4x2 3.0L 1996 Ranger was a nightmare! I got it brand new and by time I went in for the 3rd oil change the starter motor fell out in the shop! That was just the start of the SUPER long list of problems it gave me. The happiest I ever was with that truck was when I got rid it and I watched it round the corner and go out of site…

Edited by GBW

i have a 2007 ranger that i find kinda small and was bought in hast. i needed a new vehicle since the last one got wrapped around another vihicle. i've grown to like it though and it killed a deer no problem. ( didn't even make the first payment on it ).

I looked at the Ranger but bought a used GMC Canyon with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed tranny. 2 wheel drive extended cab. At 110 I get an honest 28 to 30 mpg. Pulling my Crestliner 1600 Fishhawk at 110 kph I get low 20's. Do slow down on hills obviously but overall impressed with it.

I looked at the Ranger but bought a used GMC Canyon with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed tranny. 2 wheel drive extended cab. At 110 I get an honest 28 to 30 mpg. Pulling my Crestliner 1600 Fishhawk at 110 kph I get low 20's. Do slow down on hills obviously but overall impressed with it.

Are those US gallons (3.78L) or Imperial (4.4L)?

24 (US) mpg = 28 (CDN) mpg

18 (US) mpg = 21 (CDN) mpg

Ford doesn't offer the extended cab Ranger with the 2.4L 4 cyl.

See if you can get a reasonable Toyota Tacoma. I don't have one but have read numerous accounts that they are one of the best small trucks on the road.

I have it's BIG brother, a 2007 Toyota Tundra and so far (one year) it's the best truck I have owned. Just don't ask about the gas mileage. :)

Good Luck truck fishing,

Bob

See if you can get a reasonable Toyota Tacoma. I don't have one but have read numerous accounts that they are one of the best small trucks on the road.

I have it's BIG brother, a 2007 Toyota Tundra and so far (one year) it's the best truck I have owned. Just don't ask about the gas mileage. :)

Good Luck truck fishing,

Bob

Oh yeah.We had one out for a test drive and it was a beauty.The salesman even said the Chev in a 4x4 would get much better mileage than the equivalent Tundra but the Tundra was so much better built.Toyota would be a definite option but as yet....any used Tacoma has 75k or more on it.It seems Toyota drivers are frequent drivers.

For what they cost may as well go for it.Try and google MSN top 10 reliable vehicles this truck made the top ten list for most reliable vehicles.

I have 2 to 3 yrs before I ditch my Honda Odyssey.

I always wanted an F-150 but with gas prices on the rise I will consider the Toyota Tacoma or Honda Ridgeline.

Who knows if Ford changes the Ranger I may get one.For now I need at least a 5 passenger.

Hopefully we will have some mid size vehicles with diesel engines.

Good luck wtih the Purchase. :Gonefishing:

pretty sure I saw a Tacoma with a V6 and manual tranny on the OFC classifieds :whistling:

They're out to rip you off for every penny that they can.
Wow..so sad to hear how deep the hurt runs from people who have had bad experiences at dealerships. That's why I drive past 10 or 20 stores just to work at the place that I do....I get to treat people right, and management doesn't harp on me for it.

IMHO the best truck is the one YOU like the most. Get out there and drive a few, and good luck!